Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Mobile and apps/Have Apps reading lists available on Destop/Mobile
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Apps offer a very convenient feature: reading lists. These lists allow you to bookmark articles you would like to read later (or do whatever you wish to do, actually). At the moment, this feature is only available for Apps. It is not possible to create, retrieve and manage any reading lists from desktop or mobile-web. For instance, a user using the app can't create a list of article they'd like to edit on desktop. Or one can't create a list of articles they wish to read or check on mobile (while having a train ride, like a sometimes do) from their desktop computer.
- Who would benefit: Everyone using reading lists.
- Proposed solution: Have a bridge page on Desktop and Mobile versions, attached to the user account, where users can create, retrieve and manage their reading lists.
- More comments: This was brought to my attention by newcomers on my volunteer talk page several times. Can't find these messages back though, since browsing history is complicated.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Trizek from FR 10:56, 23 November 2020 (UTC)
- This would be one of my top requests. I regularly see article issues on mobile that would be a huge pain to edit on my phone. I have a reading list called "fix", but I have no direct access to the list on the desktop. There is also a request for internal bookmarking (separate from the browser bookmarking) that could have similar functionality. Kenyoni (talk) 19:20, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
- I just had this information: there is a workaround for this need, with extensions being available to sync reading lists from the apps with a browser. Check on reading list browser extension. I haven't tried it yet though. Trizek from FR 13:48, 14 December 2020 (UTC) - On Firefox this extension does not work. On Chrome the extension works only in one direction: Using the desctop version you are able to store articles only to the default reading list. But in chrome you are not able to read any of the lists which have bin created on your mobile device. MTheiler (talk) 16:23, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Try the following: https://meta.wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/#/Reading%20lists/getListEntries Using the Wikimedia REST API you are able to get the ReadingList from your mobile phone on your laptop.
- Yes, please, this. Whilst there is an argument for keeping some "killer features" app-only to try to attract users, I'd really like to have reading lists and colour themes / dark mode on other platforms. Reading lists would be so much more useful if they worked everywhere. Unfortunately, a lot of people here may never have tried the app nor encountered the reading list feature, so it will be hard for this one to garner votes. If you're reading this and have a smartphone, I encourage you to try out the app! Pelagic (talk) 07:10, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
- Related wish: Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Reading/Bookmarking. —Pelagic (talk) 12:39, 18 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Geraki TL 17:35, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Swazmo 23:07, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support AEbrahimiB (talk) 11:17, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support BoldLuis (talk) 17:39, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support — Bilorv (talk) 04:15, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Codl (talk) 14:29, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support -- the wub "?!" 18:33, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Kenyoni (talk) 19:51, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support MTheiler (talk) 16:23, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Strongly waiting for this feature and it wil make everyone read more convenient Qmacaw (talk) 04:24, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support Pelagic (talk) 07:15, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Kaartic [talk] 18:43, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Reading/"Favourite" or "Followed pages" button seems relevant. Épico (talk)/(contribs) 23:33, 16 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Nashona (talk) 14:14, 18 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Joalbertine (talk) 15:03, 18 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Pullus In Fabula (talk) 14:12, 20 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support S8321414 (talk) 14:20, 21 December 2020 (UTC)