Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Multimedia and Commons/Number of Pixels for images on Commons
As already suggested in 2017, this doesn't take too much time to implement.
At Commons, when images are showed, there appears this message below the picture:
Original file (4,000 × 3,000 pixels, file size: 5.6 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
It would be very helpful, if it would show the Megapixels, in this case 4000 x 3000 = 12 Mpix.
- Who would benefit: All common users
- Proposed solution: Add number of Mpix to the image dimesions
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: -donald- (talk) 06:24, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- You oftentimes need to know how many Megapixels has that image, instead of calculating everytime, it would help to be shown directly. -- -donald- (talk) 17:48, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- Seems at least a little bit useful, and may be worth it considering how easy it would probably be to implement. I'm thinking less of QI/FP and more of people using the images. There are lots of sites, uses, etc. that call for specific megapixel minimums, and it might be useful for some to see at a glance. Meh. — Rhododendrites talk \\ 17:07, 29 November 2020 (UTC)