Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Archive/End of Year Sweepstakes for Those who Make Donations to Wikipedia
< Community Wishlist Survey 2021 | Archive(Redirected from Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Programs and events/End of Year Sweepstakes for Those who Make Donations to Wikipedia)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Problem: Not enough people are making donations to Wikipedia.
- Who would benefit: Wikipedia would have more funds, and the sweepstakes winners would also benefit.
- Proposed solution: Wikipedia should automatically enter anyone who donates to it into a sweepstakes that will be drawn at the end of the year. Cost, size, and quantity of prize(s) is entirely up to Wikipedia.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: PyramidFan (talk) 15:24, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
- Compelling people to gamble without regard to any religious or addiction issues isn't a positive move. Cabayi (talk) 21:22, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
- The sweepstakes would be entirely free to enter for people who donate to Wikipedia. It is similar to how nature preservation organizations will give you a free stuffed animal or tote bag if you donate to their cause. Note: Only those who make monetary donations would be eligible. PyramidFan (talk) 14:48, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
- Please cite reliable source for claim that not enough people are making donations to Wikipedia. · · · Peter (Southwood) (talk): 08:08, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
- I do not have any sources that prove that Wikipedia is not getting enough donations. However, sometimes when I view a Wikipedia page, there is an ad at the top of the page asking for me to make a donation to Wikipedia. Besides, is it possible for Wikipedia to be receiving too many donations? The more donations that Wikipedia receives, the more events and projects it can fund. Maybe Wikipedia is only receiving enough donations for a couple events a year. But, with more donations, there can be more Edit-a-thons, and more events in general. PyramidFan (talk) 15:10, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
- PyramidFan, here you are... https://wikimediafoundation.org/about/financial-reports/ -- Cabayi (talk) 19:09, 23 November 2020 (UTC)
- I'm afraid I'll have to archive this proposal as out of scope. This survey is about requesting technical changes the software you use, while what's being proposed here is more of a strategy decision for the Fundraising team. Indeed, as far as I know, we meet our fundraising goal every year, so I'm not sure problem statement is accurate. The banners you see soliciting for donations is the strategy the Fundraising team currently employs to get donations. It is not by itself an indicator that we are failing to meet the fundraising goals. Thanks for participating in the survey, MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 19:49, 25 November 2020 (UTC)