The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: The project and language for interwiki links are currently specified separately. If you want to link to a location where both the language and project are different, or if you want to link to somewhere other than Wikipedia from a multilingual project (Meta, Commons, etc.), you need to go through the Wikipedia of that language or the English version of that project. That results in the creation of an unused account for the intermediary project, leaving extra logs and making the unified login information more confusing.
For example, if you want to link to the Japanese Wikivoyage (ja.wikivoyage), you currently need to write ja:voy: or voy:ja:, which makes you go through the Japanese Wikipedia or the English Wikivoyage.
- Proposed solution: Simplify interwiki links by removing the redirects so that it is a single link, such as [[ja-voy:]] (or, alternatively, "javoy").
- Who would benefit: Mainly people whose mother tongue is the language of a different version, and people who often use multilingual projects such as Commons.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Mario1257 (talk) 16:16, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- en: Are you aware of wikidata:Special:MyLanguage/Help:Sitelinks? The idea is to add all interwiki links on the Wikidata item itself. You only need to go to one page (the item page on Wikidata), then add the links one by one. This avoids the account creation problem you speak of, too. For example, see wikidata:Q60 on New York City. At wikidata:Q60#sitelinks-wikivoyage you can view and edit all the links to the different Wikivoyage projects. Does this work for you? You shouldn't need to write ja:voy: or anything similar on each language edition. Add the sitelinks only on Wikidata.
- 日本: ウィキデータ サイトリンク を知っていますか？ アイデアは、ウィキデータアイテム自体にすべてのインターウィキリンクを追加することです。 1つのページ（ウィキデータのアイテムページ）に移動し、リンクを1つずつ追加するだけです。 これにより、あなたが話すアカウント作成の問題も回避されます。 たとえば、ニューヨーク市の Wikidata:Q60 を参照してください。 wikidata:Q60#sitelinks-wikivoyageでは、さまざまなWikivoyageプロジェクトへのすべてのリンクを表示および編集できます。 これはあなたのために働きますか？ 各言語版でja:voy:などを書く必要はありません。 ウィキデータにのみサイトリンクを追加します。 MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 19:01, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
- @MusikAnimal (WMF): Thank you comment. The explanation was a shortage, so been maked misunderstanding this explanation. I add that when a link in the text (it's not wikilinks of sidebar), this problem is the occurs.--Mario1257 (talk) 17:58, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
- Ohh, I'd never noticed that! So the idea is
voy:ja:should directly produce https://ja.wikivoyage.org/wiki/
- Where the current situation is
- I'm more likely to visit w:lang than say s:lang, so the extra login history doesn't affect me personally.
- ⁓ Pelagic (talk) 21:05, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Comment Can't the function of this idea be replaced by In other projects on the left? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 11:27, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- The Interwikimap would need to be expanded massively to achieve this. C933103 (talk) 15:02, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support I faced a related problem. For example, when jumping from the Korean Wikipedia to the Japanese Wikivoyage, if I write ":voy:ja:", it goes to Incubator, because Korean Wikivoyage is still in the test phase. This suggestion will solve that problem. --𝑇𝑚𝑣 (𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑘) 01:47, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Lt2818 (talk) 06:44, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Less problem with interwiki links and no wrong links. But we have to fix articles which have the interwiki prefix Thingofme (talk) 01:51, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Glerium (talk) 12:34, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Yes, but no new prefix styles needed. Wargo (talk) 23:29, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support--Vulp❯❯❯here! 04:23, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Dipsacus fullonum (talk) 11:48, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 17:23, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Zache (talk) 08:32, 7 February 2022 (UTC)