Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/How to sign/my
This page outlines the steps you need to take in order to sign the Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information to be compliant with the Access to nonpublic information policy. As stated in the policy, this is a requirement for specific groups of Wikimedia volunteers with access to nonpublic information. Examples of volunteers who are required to sign this agreement includes OTRS volunteers, CheckUsers, Oversighters, and Stewards.
Following a community consultation, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees approved a new Access to nonpublic information policy on 25 April 2014. The former policy remained in force until late 2015 when the processes mandated by the new policy were put into place.
Volunteers impacted by this policy were provided with an initial notice on 15 September 2015 stating that they were required to sign the policy's confidentiality agreement by 15 December 2015 in order to maintain their access to nonpublic information.
Volunteers approved for access to nonpublic information after 15 September 2015 are required to sign the confidentiality agreement prior to receiving their access.
Step 1: Create a Phabricator account
File:Making your Wikimedia Phabricator account.webm|thumb
File:Phabricator User-Page Screencast.ogv|thumb
- More information: Phabricator help on MediaWiki.org
Signing the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is conducted and tracked using Legalpad on Phabricator.
In order to sign the confidentiality agreement, you must setup a Phabricator account (if you do not already have one):
- Make sure you are to Wikimedia.
- Go to the Phabricator login page.
- Click the sunflower button that says "Login or Register - MediaWiki" (English: "Login or Register - MediaWiki")
- Approve the connection with MediaWiki.org when prompted to do so.
- Phabricator will ask you for a username (cannot include non-Latin characters such as العَرَبِيةُ or 中华民族). When possible, please use your Wikimedia username. An e-mail address will also be required, but not shown to other users.
- Click on Profile (top right) > Edit Profile and set your Also Known As (for example, to your full name) to make it easier to search for you and identify yourself on the agreement.
Go to the Phabricator help page on MediaWiki.org for more information on setting up, configuring, and using your Phabricator account.
Step 2: Review the confidentiality agreement in your native language (if available)
Before signing the confidentiality agreement, please read the agreement in your native language (if available) to ensure that you fully understand what you are agreeing to.
NOTE: The document intentionally states "X years of age" as the documents actually being signed may say either 16 years of age or 18 years of age depending on the role of the person signing it. The documents on Legalpad which volunteers are signing reflect the correct age for that specific document.
Step 3: Sign the confidentiality agreement on Phabricator
To sign the confidentiality agreement using Legalpad on Phabricator:
- Make sure that you are logged into Phabricator.
- Go to the appropriate agreement on Phabricator's Legalpad:
- General confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information (for non-OTRS related access to nonpublic information)
- OTRS users confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information
- NOTE: Users with access to both OTRS and other tools, such as CheckUser or Oversight, will need to sign both agreements.
- Review the agreement again to verify your understanding.
- Verify that your name appears in the "Name" input box under the "Agree and Sign Document" section at the bottom of the agreement.
- Check the "I agree to the terms laid forth above" box.
- Click the "Sign Document" button.
The general confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is being processed by the Wikimedia Foundation. Once your agreement has been processed by the Foundation, the noticeboard tracking agreements on Meta-Wiki will be updated by the Wikimedia Foundation to indicate that your username has agreed (your real name will not be listed, unless it is also your username).
The OTRS users confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is being processed by the OTRS admins. Once your agreement has been processed by the OTRS admins, the noticeboard tracking agreements on the private OTRS wiki will be updated by the OTRS admins to indicate that your username has agreed (your real name will not be listed, unless it is also your username).
Thank you for completing these steps. You are now legally bound to the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information and able to access nonpublic information.