How to participate
Anyone with a Wikimedia account can participate in the Challenge. We are using a tool called the Programs & Events Dashboard to keep track of the participants' contributions. You will have to enroll in the Challenge there in order to participate.
Once you are enrolled, your edits to Wikidata items of GLAM institutions will be tracked in the Dashboard.
- When to enroll
You can enroll at any time during the competition. If you made any edits to GLAM items after the start of the competition, but before enrolling, they will count towards your score.
Create a Wikimedia account
If you don't have a Wikimedia account, you can create one here. You will be able to use the same account to edit Wikipedia in any language, Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons and all the other Wikimedia projects.
Adding information to Wikidata
Learn how to add information to Wikidata by taking these Wikidata Tours:
A full list of tours is available at Wikidata:Tours
How to find items to edit
There are several ways to find interesting Wikidata items to edit.
If you want to add data about a specific institution, type in the name in the search field on Wikidata.
Overview of GLAMs by country
We have prepared these lists to help you find GLAMs in different countries and get an overview of how well they are described on Wikidata, using selected properties.
- List of GLAMs by country, highlighting some missing statements
- List of museums by country, highlighting some missing statements
- List of archives by country, highlighting some missing statements
- List of libraries by country, highlighting some missing statements
You can use these lists to identify items in need of improvement:
- Click on the looking glass next to a property you want to focus on. In this case, we want to find libraries in Albania without a located in the administrative territorial entity (P131) statement.
- On the following page, select All items without the property set.
- This will take you to the Wikidata Query Service, with a pre-filled SPARQL query. Execute it by clicking on the blue triangle button on the left side of the screen.
- The results are a list of Wikidata items of libraries in Albania without a located in the administrative territorial entity (P131) statement.
Other ways to help
If you know of any lists or databases of cultural heritage institutions please fill out a form on our Dataset Imports page.