Foggy Bottom Agreement
|This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.|
|The following text is a proposed agreement to be adopted by attendees at the Congress of Wikimedians in the United States to be held at Wikimania 2012.|
- Foggy Bottom Agreement
We, the Wikimedians of the United States, being united in our shared commitment to a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge, have adopted the following principles:
- We believe that the successful realization of the Wikimedia vision depends on our ability to recruit, encourage, and support Wikimedians, both individually and collectively; to build lasting collaborative relationships with educational and cultural institutions and movement partners; to educate decision-makers, donors, and the general public about the importance of our mission; and to cater to the needs of Wikimedians and non-Wikimedians alike.
- We believe that fulfilling these needs requires active collaboration, organization, outreach, and support at the national, regional, and local levels; a strong commitment to openness, friendliness, and cooperation at all levels of the Wikimedia movement; and the adoption of shared standards for transparency, accountability, and professionalism.
- We believe that these goals can most effectively be reached by many independent groups of Wikimedians acting in concert.
In consideration of these principles, we hereby declare our intent:
- To develop a strong network of Wikimedian groups in the United States; to assist these groups in forming, growing, and catering to the needs of their local Wikimedian communities; to collectively explore, record, and share best practices; and to support the gradual establishment of regional Wikimedia chapters across the United States.
- To build collaboration among all Wikimedians and Wikimedian groups in the United States; to foster an atmosphere of cooperation and mutual respect at all levels of the Wikimedia movement; and to encourage the collective pursuit of shared visions, interests, and programs.
- To organize, before the end of 2012, two or more collaborative projects and events, to be conducted by Wikimedians and Wikimedian groups across the United States.
- To convene, before the end of 2013, a congress of representatives from all Wikimedian groups in the United States, so that they might develop methods for improved collaboration and a shared strategic vision for our collective pursuit of the Wikimedia mission.
By signing this agreement, we declare our support of these principles and goals.