Fundraising meeting, September 2005
We will have a meeting to discuss fundraising and what lessons we have learned in this latest drive that we can use to improve the next drive. Meeting to be in #wikimedia-meeting on IRC, September 17, 18:00 UTC.
Log of the meeting is here
Meeting logs will likely be posted publicly.
Here are some suggestions for improving our next fund drive:
- Direct credit card payments
- should accept all major currencies to avoid bank fees
- Explaining one doesn't need PayPal to donate via PayPal
- Sponsors for matching donations
- Give companies chance to sponsor particular days; they match totals for that day
- Directed donations? A good or a bad thing? Debate is open.
- Finding better ways to allow donations in countries where credit cards are not widely used
- Plan and schedule the next fund drive well in advance so we can better prepare for it
- detailled budget on which the fundraising drive is based
- joint budget chapters/Foundation
- detailled explanation what was done with the money from the last fund drive
- Plan publicity and PR for the drive
- contact media: press release before the drive
- trot Jimmy out before some TV cameras and make him do his thing
- better timing. It is hard to raise money while certain offers (google) are not activated and others (yahoo) are not done.
- analyze donations to see what percentage of total was from large donations, and what percentage from small donations; see if this indicates if we should focus on one or the other.
- install new servers before the fundraiser so the site isn't slow when we are trying to get people to come give us money
- ask for more money next time; I don't recall ever failing to meet our goal in a fund drive, which suggests we've been setting the goals too low.
Log of the time I was there, as requested by Anthere on IRC
- BEGIN LOGGING AT Sat Sep 17 14:21:41 2005