GLAMTLV2018/Submissions/GLAM Wikimedian-in-Residence and Student Workers Birds of a Feather
- Submission no. 25
- Title of the submission
- GLAM Wikimedian-in-Residence and Student Workers Birds of a Feather
- Author(s) of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil
- Type of session
- Length of session
- 60 minutes
- Ideal number of attendees
- around 30
This event, set up as a Birds of a Feather, aims at bringing together Wikimedians-in-Residence (WiRs) and Student Workers to talk about their experiences. In this event, they will trade stories, find better ways to solve problems and help each other to improve their works and projects. This could also be an opportunity for strengthening the Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network. The in-resident model was first applied in 2010 by the British Museum. Eight years later, there have been more than 140 WiRs, and most of them are still active. There does not seem to be a reliable count of Student Workers engaged with Wikimedia projects, particularly GLAM initiatives. The role of WiRs and Student Workers allow for hundreds of thousands of contributions to be made in the context of partnership with GLAM institutions. They have a key role in these partnerships and have become major players in GLAM initiatives and their impact to resonate worldwide. The idea of this BoF is to somehow follow-up, with a specific focus on WiRs and Student Workers associated to GLAM initiatives, the BoF section at the 2017 Wikimania.
This submission is to be communicated to the Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network and hopefully will spark interest.
Please, feel free to add documents on relevant materials on the role WiRs and student workers play on GLAM initiatives:
* University of São Paulo Museum of Veterinary Anatomy
- Hello! Please, feel free to translate this to other languages, if you want to. This will really help me to spread the message. Thank you!
- What will attendees take away from this session?
I believe and expect that all the participants will leave this event knowing more about other GLAM initiatives and WIRs’ and Student Workers’ projects, creating a more unified community of users and solidifying a net of users that might help each other more frequently. Whereas, on a more individual level, through the exchange of experiences, I hope they will learn better ways of solving their problems and improve their work.
- Slides or further information
- Not yet available.
- Special requests
- No, so far.
- Interests may appear at 9:00 pm, at the hotel's ground floor. At the tables next to the white piano.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.