Grants:APG/Proposals/2016-2017 round 1/Amical Wikimedia/Proposal form
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the edit intro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
- Amical Wikimedia's 2017 annual plan keeps focused on improving Wikimedia's projects content. It's been drafted again following our community-driven model marked by our 2014-2018 strategic plan. This year we will continue focusing our efforts in the educational sector, since we consider it a key source from which we can obtain better content and new users, and which may behave as a new mind setter to educational, scientific and research community. Nevertheless, will keep developing our GLAM projects in terms of depth over breadth, selecting strategic opportunities, and yet carefully balancing that with the needs and interests of volunteers, as mentioned by WMF's on our last impact report. We will keep developing programs that can be sustained independently of our organization, so the indirect results of our efforts are multiplied.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Amical Wikimedia
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 01/01/2017-12/31/2017
- Currency requested: EUR
- Name of primary contact: Arnau Duran (President) presidentwikimedia.cat (User:Arnaugir) // Àlex Hinojo (Programme Manager) email@example.com (User:Kippelboy)
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||67,500.00 EUR||75,238.24 USD|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||49,000.00 EUR||54,617.85 USD|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||68,000.00 EUR||75,796.20 USD|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- We have held assessment meetings with the board, core community members and onwiki. With the board we discussed how our new 2017 plan can help Amical to move forward towards the 2014-2018 strategic plan goals, evaluating what we are and have been doing on 2016 and trying to frame next year's big picture and goals. In Summer we had a real-life meeting opened to Amical members and the whole community of Catalan Wikimedia projects where we presented our 2017 main tracks proposals and community members could openly discuss it and contribute with new valuable content to our year plan. Many of our community's needs and proposals have been included in our 2017 plans. Furthermore, as we want to keep moving towards a fully-community led organisation, we keep trying to optimize the movements of our finantial resources. We've been learning to optimize our programs, our projects and, logically, our budgets. We truly believe in a volunteer led model and we give a lot of importance to donor's money, that's why we try to optimize our budget. As you can realize at our detail budget proposal for 2017, it will be the third year of financial decrease in a row, keeping the quality of our programmes.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
- 2014-2018 Strategic Plan
- Activities Plan 2014
- Activities Plan 2015
- Activities Plan 2016
- Activities Plan 2017
Financials: current year
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 75,500.00 € 84,156.08 USD 74,906.60 € 83,494.64 USD 75,906.60 € 84,609.29 USD Expenses 75,500.00 € 84,156.08 USD 42,192.41 € 47,029.77 USD 74,500.00 € 83,041.42 USD
Table 2 notes: * Change ECB (EUR 1/USD): 1,11465
- Provided by FDC member
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, and overall
- Include targets for each of the three shared measures for each program, and overall. If one or more of these required metrics are not relevant to any of your programs, please consult your program officer.
- Also choose at least two grantee-defined metrics to highlight in this section, and include targets for each of these grantee-defined metrics for each program, and overall. (Other program-specific metrics may be included in your program objectives, in the detailed program sections below.)
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- Members engagement: In our strategic plan 2014-2018 we have a quality metric that we are documenting since 2014: Involving 50% of Amical members in at least one activity every year. In order to keep being a representative organization for the Catalan community of Wikimedians, we also look forward to maintain or event increase the percentage (more than 40%) of highly active Catalan Wikipedia users bearing Amical membership, to keep a strong link between the Association and the community of editors.
- % of Repetition: In our point of view, repetition of program, projects, editathons, workshops or events is a measure of success. If a high percentage of our projects are repetitive, it means our parnters are happy with us and our projects are successful through the years. By the way, we don't want to reach 100% of repepetition, because we also leave the door open to innovation and new partners, and also to failure every once in a while. A 50%-60% would be a desired goal for us. Example: If we do an eduwiki activity during 6 semesters with same teacher, it means that the activity is working, it is a succes and taking advantage of its own learning curves, needing progressively less efforts done by Amical each semester.
Program Participants Newly registered Content pages Members engagement % of Repetition Program 1: Community 200 50 n/a 80% 75% Program 2:Education & Knowledge 1.000 600 3.500 30% 60% Program 3: Core projects 500 200 10.000 75% 60% TOTAL FOR ALL PROGRAMS 1,700 850 13,500 60% 60%
Table 3 notes:
- We keep on with same model we used on our last APG, because it works well for us and it will be easier to compare them both.
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- The objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
Program 1: COMMUNITY
- 6 PROGRAM 1 ACTIVITIES
|PROGRAM||What?||Who?||Where?||When?||Why?||How will be measured?||Further info|
|COMMUNITY||Viquitrobada 2016||Done by and for volunteers||Museum in València city||Nov 2017||Program 1 overview||
|COMMUNITY||Internal Wikilove||Community care team (volunteers)||Online & Onsite||Whole 2017||Program 1 overview||
|COMMUNITY||Writing challenges||Volunteer driven||Online||Whole 2017||Program 1 overview||
|COMMUNITY||Microgrants||Volunteer driven||Online||Whole 2017||Program 1 overview||
|COMMUNITY||Internal training||Expert driven||IRL||1 per trimestre||Program 1 overview||
Program 2: EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE
- 6 PROGRAM 2 ACTIVITIES
|Program||What?||Who?||Where?||When?||Why?||How will be measured?||Further info|
|0,6 FTE Staff
|Vives Network||2016-2017 course & 2017-2018 (first semester)||Program 2
|New Mindset on
|0,4 FTE staff
|2016-2017 course & 2017-2018 (first semester)||Program 2
Program 3: CORE PROJECTS
- 6- PROGRAM 3 ACTIVITIES
|Program||What?||Who?||Where?||When?||Why?||How will be measured?||Further info|
|CORE PROJECTS||Bibliowikis||Staff + Volunteers||Catalan Areas||2017||Program 3
|CORE PROJECTS||Wikiars||Volunteers||Catalan Areas||2017||Program 3
|CORE PROJECTS||Sister projects||Volunteers||Online||2017||Program 3
|Volunteers & staff||online||2017||Program 3
|CORE PROJECTS||Other projects (PESCAR history challenge, ephemerides, Quinzena de la qualitat)||Volunteers||Online / Onsite||2017||
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
- Amical has no organogram, other than the Board (composed by President, Secretary, Treasurer and two Board members) and one employee. Employee's official position is programme manager.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes 1 1 1 n/a Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 1 1 n/a
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
As said in our 2015-2016 proposal: 47,000.00 € EUR / XXXX USD
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- Same amount (*still need to check legal increase of life cost)
Financials: upcoming year
Detailed budget: upcoming year
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).
- Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
- Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
- Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application)
Fees memberships and donations 2,500.00 EUR 2,786.62 USD guaranteed Conferences and workshops 2,000.00 EUR 2,229.30 USD In anticipation Partnerships 3,000.00 EUR 3,343.95 USD In anticipation Own resources 10,000.00 EUR 11,146.50 USD APG 49,000.00 EUR 54,617.85 USD Requested Free conference space (viquitrobada 2017) 3,000.00 EUR 3,343.95 USD In Kind donation
Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 67,500.00 EUR 75,238.87 USD -
* Change ECB (EUR 1/USD): 1,11465 (As said by FDC member)
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
Operating reserves: current and upcoming years
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) 38.364,07 € 42.762,51 USD 50.236,00 € (2) 55.995,56 USD 50.236,00 € 55.995,56 USD Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 40.236,00 € (1) 44.849,06 USD
NOTE 1: It was agreed to allocate reserves of € 10,000.00 in 2017 budget
NOTE 2: According to agreement of the Assembly (16 July 2016), We allocated the surplus obtained in 2015 to increase reserves
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Community 6,500 € 7,245.00 USD Education & Knowledge 4,000 € 4,458.60 USD Core projects 5,000 € 5,573.25 USD Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 15,500 € 17,277.07 USD
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 15,500 € 17,277.07 USD Operations (excludes staff and programs) 5,000 € 5,573.00 USD Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 47,000 € 52,388.55 USD Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 67,500 € 75,238.87 USD
Table 8 notes:
Verification and signature
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.