Grants:APG/Proposals/2016-2017 round 2/The Centre for Internet and Society/Impact report form
Purpose of the report
This form is for organizations receiving Annual Plan Grants to report on their results to date. For progress reports, the time period for this report will the first 6 months of each grant (e.g. 1 January - 30 June of the current year). For impact reports, the time period for this report will be the full 12 months of this grant, including the period already reported on in the progress report (e.g. 1 January - 31 December of the current year). This form includes four sections, addressing global metrics, program stories, financial information, and compliance. Please contact APG/FDC staff if you have questions about this form, or concerns submitting it by the deadline. After submitting the form, organizations will also meet with APG staff to discuss their progress.
- 1 Purpose of the report
- 2 Global metrics overview - all programs
- 3 Telling your program stories - all programs
- 3.1 A2K key activities
- 3.2 Content Enrichment Activities
- 3.3 Skill Building Activities
- 3.3.1 Train-the-Trainer 2018
- 3.3.2 MediaWiki Training
- 3.3.3 Mini Train the Trainer (Mini TTT 2018) Program at Pune
- 3.3.4 Wikimedia Conference (India) 2018
- 3.3.5 FOSS, Unicode & Open knowledge platforms
- 3.3.6 AWB Workshop for Kannada community
- 3.3.7 Request page
- 3.3.8 Supporting Wikidata workshops in India
- 3.3.9 Santali Wikipedia workshop, North Odisha University
- 3.3.10 Telugu Mahilavaranam
- 3.4 Institutional Partnership
- 4 Revenues received during this period (6 month for progress report, 12 months for impact report)
- 5 Spending during this period (6 month for progress report, 12 months for impact report)
- 6 Compliance
- 7 Signature
- 8 Footnotes
- 9 Resources
Global metrics overview - all programs
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees' programs. Please use the table below to let us know how your programs contributed to the Global Metrics. We understand not all Global Metrics will be relevant for all programs, so feel free to put "0" where necessary. For each program include the following table and
- Next to each required metric, list the outcome achieved for all of your programs included in your proposal.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome.
- In addition to the Global Metrics as measures of success for your programs, there is another table format in which you may report on any OTHER relevant measures of your programs success
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|Participants||3,783||Public events held in FLAs have helped in increasing the reach of Wikimedia projects.|
|Newly Registered||1,415||Our WEP initiatives have helped in introducing and retaining editors across FLA.|
||Thematic edit-a-thons anchored by A2K and collaborative work with other institutions has helped A2K to get more and more content.|
|Value of Bytes Deleted||7.78 MB||CIS-A2K has started cleaning the existing content on Wikipedia projects across FLA.|
Telling your program stories - all programs
The program stories of this impact report are divided into the following sections. We have aligned it with our proposal form of the year
|Skill Building Activities|
A2K key activities
During this grant period (1 July 2017 – 30 June 2018) CIS-A2K has organised and supported a number of events in collaboration with Indic Wikimedia community members. In the following table we are including some of the events conducted or supported by CIS-A2K, we feel were impactful for the movement:
Content Enrichment Activities
High-quality content creation for different Wikimedia projects is a primary aim of CIS-A2K. In order to achieve this goal we have:
- conducted and supported edit-a-thons and other Wiki-activities (such as Karnataka Rajyotsava edit-a-thon, Marathi edit-a-thon etc) related to Wikimedia content-creation;
- collaborated with institutions, organisations, and communities of interest and conducted edit-a-thons, workshops;
- in order to bridge gender-gap on Wikimedia projects in India, we have conducted thematic content enrichment events.
Some of the events conducted or supported under this vertical are:
Karnataka Rajyotsava edit-a-thon
Karnataka Rajyotsava is celebrated on 1 November every year. In November 2018, following discussion with Kannada community members a month-long Karnataka Rajyotsava Edit-a-thon was conducted with the theme Karnataka-Kannadigas-Kannada.
Comprehensive list of important articles to be created and circulated among the participants.
Kannada Wikipedia project and community members have benefited due to the collaboration with different Indic communities.
CIS-A2K would be running the second iteration of Karnataka Rajyotsava Edit-a-thon in November 2018.
Communities of interest
We have established relationship with organisations working in various sectors. The vision is to build quality content in areas of their expertise. The areas of expertise include water, rivers, science, mathematics, law, sustainable technology and rural development. The objective is to build communities of interest in these areas for possible addition of content and improving of the existing content.
Thematic workshops with Jalbiradari, Jeevit Nadi, Ecological Society, EcoUniv, Bhaskaracharya Pratishthan, Sandarbh Society, Jnana Prabodhini, Pune, Vigyan Ashram, Sterlite Tech Foundation's Jeewan Jyoti Women Empowerment Centre, Ambawane were conducted. In these workshops topics such as category tree, databases, like-minded groups, resource persons and reference literature available were discussed.
- Well defined modules regarding next steps in content creation will provide clarity for new editors.
- Building networks with grassroots organisations is crucial for sustainable impact and discussion of the newly created content.
The focus groups of new editors on themes of science, mathematics, rural culture, sustainable technologies, water issues, biodiversity and women empowerment have been identified and trained to add content.
There has been interest in conducting content enrichment activities by grass root level organisations.
Frequent capacity building sessions are planned (online as well as offline).
Marathi language programs with State Government
CIS-A2K collaborated with Rajya Marathi Vikas Sanstha (RMVS) of the Government of Maharashtra and conducted a series of workshops. The programs started from 1 January 2018 and continued till Marathi Bhasha Divas on 27 February 2018. Here is a list of workshops conducted during this period:
Wikimedia projects face the risk of being limited to urban editors and readers, it is necessary that users from non-metropolitan cities and towns also engage with the projects.
Collaboration with State government offers easy access to Universities and other institutions. Taking advantage of atmosphere created during language day and month proved fruitful.
RMVS is CIS-A2K's important institutional partner for the last two years. Several activities are being conducted collaboratively such as Wikipedia edit-a-thons, capacity building workshops for active editors, Unicode & Open source promotion workshops and Content donation drives. They have integrated all these activities into their annual program on 'Language and Internet'.
Women's History Month Edit-a-thon
Women's History Month is an annual Wikipedia edit-a-thon organised and supported by CIS-A2K in collaboration with the Odia Wikimedians to improve or create articles related to women achievers on Odia Wikipedia. The project was started in 2015 with a mission of bridging the gender-gap in content on Odia Wikipedia. In the last three iterations, more than 350 articles were created as a part of this campaign.
- Activity & impact
This year, CIS-A2K organised the 4th iteration of the Women's History Month by preparing a list of articles on potential topics or existing articles which can be created or improved. As a part of this event, total of 5 participants signed up as participants for the event and have improved or created 35 articles related to Women achievers from different fields on Odia Wikipedia.
As the edit-a-thon was planned simultaneously with the Project Tiger Editathon 2018, the participants and the number of articles ratio were decreased in comparison to previous iteration where 236 articles were created.
Women's History Month edit-a-thon was followed up by Sambad Health and Women Edit-a-thon.
The Sambad Health and Women Edit-a-thon was facilitated by participants of the Women's History Month edit-a-thon.
Sambad Women's Health and Hygiene edit-a-thon
Sambad is one of the most circulated newspaper and a media house in Odisha, India. In April 2017, CIS-A2K and Odia Wikimedians collaborated with the Sambad media house to organise 100 Women Edit-a-thon for the first time in India. The theme of the edit-a-thon was to improve and create articles on women's health, hygiene and social issues on Odia Wikipedia. A group of 18 journalists were part of the two days program, followed as of the first iteration of Sambad 100 Women edit-a-thon. The first day of the event was for the introduction to Wikipedia for new participants and teach them how to edit Wikipedia, Around 9 journalists were part of the introduction session followed by the edit-a-thon where 18 journalists from Sambad created or improved 21 articles.
Altogether 73 articles have been improved or created as a part of this campaign by 28 journalists from the Sambad media house. Collaboration with Sambad has not only helped in bridging the content gap but the community and CIS-A2K, also tried to bridge the gap in access of content in an Archival house to improve Wikipedia articles.
- Involving previous participants along with new participants helped to ease the introduction to Wikimedia projects.
- Translation of articles related to Medical science was difficult for some participants due to the frequent usage of medical terms.
- Follow up
We are planning to conduct a minimum of two activities in a year to keep in touch with the journalists and organise a session on how to tackle fake news and role of Wikipedia.
Supporting Project Tiger
In 2017–2018, the Wikimedia Foundation and Google collaborated to pilot a program encouraging Wikipedia communities to create locally relevant and high-quality content in Indian languages. This project had code name "Project Tiger" and had 2 stages:
- support active and experienced Wikipedia editors through the donation of laptops and stipends for internet access and
- sponsor a language-based contest that aims to address existing Wikipedia content gaps
CIS-A2K supported the project and was the primary implementation organisation. We distributed the Chromebooks and arranged internet support for Indian Wikimedians. We also provided logistical and co-ordination support for offline edit-a-thon. We worked with WMF on interim and project report. The project report may be seen here.
(Note: We have not added any metrics from this project in our cumulative metrics)
Bengaluru Inscription stone project
Uday Kumar and Vinay are two engineers from Bangalore who traced 30 inscriptions stones out of around 175 stones in Bengaluru which are mentioned on Epigraphia of Carnatica Volume 10 written by B. L. Rice. This project became visible because of its Social media promotion. Bengaluru Inscription Stone project team has donated all of their photographs, floor trace images and map points of inscription stones in Bangalore city under Creative Commons license. The project page may be seen here.
Establishing synergies between content producers (individuals) with Wikipedia editors leads to interesting projects and outcomes.
We are planning to conduct a workshop and edit-a-thon on the theme of inscriptions stones of Bangalore across higher educational institutions in Bangalore.
From this project, Kannada Wikipedia got 28 articles about stone inscriptions in Bangalore.
Skill Building Activities
CIS-A2K has been working with Indic Wikimedians to enhance their Wiki-skills and leadership qualities. A2K's efforts in grooming leaders have had positive impact on the Indic Wikimedia projects. Many participants of our workshops and training sessions have become faces of their respective communities, projects and have led initiatives at the local and global level as well. CIS-A2K has been working to bridge this gap by bringing together Wikimedians who have shown interest in technical learning along with members from like-minded communities and organise training and workshops to discuss, introduce and document the various tools, techniques and gadgets available to Wikimedians.
Train-the-Trainer (TTT) is an annual residential Wiki-training workshop to groom leadership skills among the Indic Wikimedia community members. The first iteration of TTT took place in Bangalore, India in 2013, which was followed by successful iterations in 2015, 2016, and 2017. We have received feedback from the participants that all the earlier iterations of TTT took place in Bangalore and there must be a change in venue. In our attempt to integrate community feedback, A2K is gradually shifting some of the biggest workshops to other cities. This year's Train-the-Trainer was conducted in Mysore.
The fifth iteration of the workshop took place between 26-28 January 2018 in Mysore, Karnataka. The event page may be seen here. Some of the topics discussed during Train-the-Trainer 2018 were:
- Conducting a Wiki-event (works and best practices in pre-event, during-event and post-event)
- Grants and other support structure
- Some of the most remarkable global and national initiatives (such as Wikipedia Asian Month, Women in Red
- Social media best practices
- Diversity and gender gap bridging initiatives
- How to conduct in "Wiki Loves" initiatives
- Involving TTT alumni to lead sessions is a great initiative to trigger peer to peer learning.
- Organising panel discussions among various movement stakeholders such as Affiliations Committee, Wikimedia India and A2K clarified the scope and work of these organisations.
- Mock planning of an event during TTT leads to structured planning of the actual event.
- Events in non metro cities will have unexpected complications regarding logistics.
Over the years Train-the-Trainer has gradually become a workshop from where participants learn leadership enhance-skill. Here is a compilation of few feedback:
|Year||Number of participants||Communities||Activities conducted|
|2017||19||Bengali, English, Kannada, Maithili, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu||Wiki Loves Uniformed Services,|
Hindi Wikipedia outreach
|2018||24||Bengali, English, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu||Creating Punjabi Wiki awareness video, Indian Independence Day 2018 edit-a-thon|
- Challenges faced
TTT participants had fewer interactions with community members in Mysore compared to the previous years. The venue of the workshop was Mysore. Karnataka-strike was announced on 25 January For logistics it was difficult for the participants' travel in Karnataka.
In 2018, MediaWiki Training or MWT was conducted in Bangalore on 1-2 February 2018. This was the fourth iteration of the workshop. Previously MWT was conducted in 2015, 2016, and 2017. 8 participants from Indic Wikimedia communities participated in the workshop.
- Changes in the 2018 iteration of MediaWiki Training
MediaWiki Training, like other training workshops of CIS-A2K are flexible and changes are made both in planning and structure based on feedback, observation and analysis. This workshop was a one stop workshop for all of the gadgets, tools and other technical training requirements in its previous avatar. Based on the feedback received by participants and WMF staff members A2K team decided to streamline the workshop specifically to engage Media Wiki volunteers in India. A2K team collaborated with 01tonythomas as a primary resource person, and Jayprakash12345 as both a participant and a supporting resource person. This was an invitation-based workshop. We consulted the resource persons before selecting the participants.
- Engage volunteers and their expertise to lead training workshops.
- It is good to have a smaller group of focused participants to achieve better outcome, for workshops like MediaWiki Training.
This was a dedicated workshop for the Wikimedians, working on MediaWiki and Phabricator to discuss different issues such as
- extension, patches, Gerrit etc.
- Many extensions and patches were fixed by Jayprakash and other participants after the workshop.
Mini Train the Trainer (Mini TTT 2018) Program at Pune
As a part of 2017–2018 work-plan, Mini Train the Trainer (Mini TTT 2018) Program at Pune was conducted on 24 & 25 February 2018. Total 19 editors from Marathi Wikimedia community participated. The participants' were divided into the following three categories and inputs were designed accordingly.
|Profile of the participants||Interest areas||Outcomes|
|TTT Alumni - 4||History, Culture, Indology, Literature, Gender, Sociology,
Health, Arts & Culture, Rural development issues, Wikisource, Sports, People
|Equipped to work as mentors for new editors; Wikipedia pillars; Copyright issues; Should be able to do analysis and evolve improvement measures; Integration of Wikimedia projects; Work for new developments in Wiki projects; Global engagement programs|
|Institutional Facilitators - 12||Thematic content creation, Integrating academic tasks with Wiki projects||Equipped to learn advance skills, tools & gadgets for good editing; Wikipedia pillars; Copyright issues; To conduct workshops for student community; Design internships and academic assignments for WEP; To develop thematic groups; Quality improvement; Tracking process and progress using outreach dashboard|
|New active editors - 3||Language, Biographies,Science, Technology,
Development issues, Drama, Films, Music, Finance, Commerce, Tourism
|Started working on category-wise content generation; Wikipedia pillars; Copyright issues; Building communities of interest; reference tools|
This Mini TTT resulted into building a network of very active editors across Marathi Wikimedia projects. Discussions on various policies were initiated by participants on VP. Comprehensive proposals regarding ensuring quality across Wikimedia projects and Article gradation process were also discussed.After the workshop the participants actively took part in cleaning up Marathi Wikipedia articles (cleanup included categorisation, fixing dead-end pages, orphan pages, double redirect, broken redirect, Lint errors etc.) They also participated in Project Tiger competition. The momentum generated in Mini TTT resulted into enabling CCitoid tool and copyvio report detector to improve quality of Marathi Wikipedia.
Sureshkhole, a participant of the workshop, told:
For the first time I got to meet many Wikipedians who are contributing to Marathi Wikimedia projects. Everyone works in their own capacity to improve the project. I was introduced to many technical and policy aspects of Wikipedia, which would be really helpful in building policies and tools gadgets on the project.
Specially maintenance part of Wikipedia which is greatly needed for growing wiki like MrWiki. Where organization of the content becomes crucial.
Obviously, I got introduced to many js userscripts which make editing easy and that is helping me a lot. Now I can contribute more in less time and efficiently with rooted perspective of Wikipedia policies.
Wiki meetups are being held every month to review the progress and cross-learning among Marathi Wikimedia projects and editors from different cities. The sharing of ideas has started on social media groups for wider dissemination of information. The team has decided to conduct thematic edit-a-thon once per quarter.
Wikimedia Conference (India) 2018
Wikimedia India Conference 2018 was organised in collaboration with CIS-A2K and Wikimedia India. This meeting was organised with an aim of providing support (conference and participation details) to Wikimedians representing Indic communities and other affiliations/teams with Wikimedia foundation (Affiliations Committee, Simple APG).
The Bangalore meeting of Wikimedia Conference India 2018 is important for three reasons:
- Community members who were earlier participants shared best practices and learning with new participants.
- Various ideas of partnerships and collaborations with global communities for the advancement of Indic communities were discussed.
- A network of support and safety for participants from India was created. This network was helpful in tasks of coordination, discussion and various logistics related issues.
- The report was not published in time.
FOSS, Unicode & Open knowledge platforms
Knowledge created in Indian languages faces a barrier of being in the copyright domain and thus not being freely accessible for further use. It is very important to create awareness about these concepts among the knowledge & information production agencies like research organizations, writers, newspaper houses, publishers. The next step is to connect them with the Wikimedia projects. In all 5 workshops were conducted on this theme. Partners include – All India Marathi Publishers’ Consortium, Marathi Literary Festival Body, Sakal & Lokmat Newspapers and Research & documentation organizations.
- All India Marathi Publishers Organisation has made a resolution to conduct monthly workshops for publishers across Maharashtra from August 2018. This might lead to gradual flow of freely available content and references for Marathi Wikimedia projects.
- State language department has collaborated with us to hold this workshops
- Publishers have agreed to re-license their old reference books for Wikisource
AWB Workshop for Kannada community
- What work was done
As per the suggestion of Kannada community members CIS-A2K organised a workshop to introduce AWB tool. This workshop was aimed at experienced Wikimedians who would be able to make use of the AWB tool with caution to make changes and ensure quality of the Kannada Wikimedia projects.
The workshop was unable to meet its expected objective as there were newbie Wikimedians as participants and a lot of time was devoted in discussing the basic principles of Wikimedia projects.
- A2K team’s most important learning from this workshop is to develop a screening process for participants to ensure high level engagement.
- Follow-up workshops and activities are as crucial as the training event itself and clear commitment on behalf of the participants must be obtained during the primary event itself.
CIS-A2K project has a request page intended for Wikimedians from India to place requests for support from CIS-A2K. Between 1 July 2018 and 30 June 2018, CIS-A2K received 18 support requests. Here are few example requests A2K received on the request page this work-plan year.
- Bhopal Hindi Wiki workshop, request made by Hindi Wikimedians to support a training workshop in Bhopal in October 2017
- Telugu prapancha maha shabalu, request made by Telugu Wikimedians to support participate in telugu prapancha maha shabalu in December 2017
- Workshop for Santali editors, request by Santali Wikimedians to conduct Santali Wiki workshop in Mayurbhanj in February 2018.
Supporting Wikidata workshops in India
In an effort to promote Wikidata and support Indic Wikimedians to enhance their Wikidata skill, CIS-A2K collaborated with Asaf Bartov who is also senior Wikimedian experienced in Wikidata. CIS-A2K promoted the events among Indian Wikimedians, and provided both logistical and coordination support for the workshops in Mangalore, Vijayawada, Bhubaneswar, Kolkata, and Pune.
- These trainings have successfully created first generation Wikidata amabassadors across India.
- These trainings also lead to the beginning of Wikidata WikiProject India.
Santali Wikipedia workshop, North Odisha University
Santali is one of the indigenous languages of Odisha with over 6.2 million speakers in four different countries; India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal. Santali Wikipedia was a project in the Wikimedia incubator and was mainly contributed by volunteers from Bangladesh, Nepal and India. Earlier, Wikimedia Bangladesh had conducted activities to revive and share awareness on Santali Wikipedia. In 2018 CIS-A2K along with Odia Wikimedians User group and Santali Wikimedians from Odisha conducted the first Santali Wikipedia workshop in India.
- Activities & Impact
Santali Wikipedians reached out to some volunteers of Odia Wikimedia UG where CIS-A2K supported in organising the event. The workshop was organised for a full day at North Odisha University, Baripada. 30 Students doing Masters in Santali language were part of the workshop, along with 5 active Santali Wikipedians from Odisha. The participants were introduced about Wikipedia account creation, five pillars of Wikipedia and how to edit Santali Wikipedia.
CIS-A2K is planning to organise a capacity building workshop for the Santali Wikipedians in the month of October to train them to learn editing tools and organise Wikimedia outreach programs for future activities.
A2K conceptualized and conducted series of workshops known as "Mahilavaranam" focusing on improving Women participation in Telugu Wikipedia. A2K conducted Mahilavaranam events in Hyderabad and Visakhapatnam.
Yarra Ramarao successfully improved many Village articles. More than 10,000 articles which improved using data administrative reorganization information and census info. Chaduvari improved many items about Telugu Villages in Wikidata. Telugu Village Project coordinators realized benefits of improving structured data. These efforts of improving structured data is going to be reflected in the existing village articles on Telugu Wikipedia.
Activities with thematic groups and people resulted sustained engagement, better retention, and specialized content to the projects. While Shiv's fotografia completed his 100WikiCommonsdays which benefited project with more than 100 images related to Wildlife and Tribal life, on the other hand Adbh266 continued after 100 days and went on till 365 Days of Commons contribution (inspired by Pranayraj's 365Wikidays). Padya Sowndaryam group members - Ramesam and GSVS Murthy become part of Telugu Wikisource Community and retained their contributions to community for more than 10 months. Ramesam also participated in Train-the-trainer 2018. He started digitizing and proofreading Sri Ramayanam by Katta Varadaraja Kavi on hand in hand writing and sharing commentary in Padya Sowndaryam Group which inturn going to be re-licensed into CC-BY-SA, which gives an example for perfect synergy.
- When we plan events with women or exclusively for women, there must be different approach especially in the preference of place and time. As women typically have additional burden of taking care of entire family and working competently in office, one should have different expectation and should be patient in following-up them. While on other hand, working with cult organizations those which wanted to push their content especially into Wikipedia need to be handled with utmost care.
- Following up of good edits made by New editors and possible editors on Wikipedia and providing support to them by training (online/offline) will be fruitful. Volunteers with specialised skills and interests come out of such intervention will have more retention.
A2K participated in consecutive annual conference of of Padya Sowndaryam group known as "Saraswatha Jyotsna" in July 2018. We are planning to conduct workshops for the members of group which will potentially scale up our collaboration. A2K is mapping cultural organizations in parts of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana which will help as first point to scale up entire idea of working with thematic groups. The identifying of these orgnisations will follow workshops, collaborations, content donation and other activities.
A2K will conduct an advanced Wikidata session to Telugu Wikimedians which will improve synergy between Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects.
Wikipedia Education Program
Wikipedia Education Program (WEP) is one of the priority programs of CIS-A2K and is essential for the spreading and developing Wikimedia movement, as well as for the usage of Wikimedia projects in classroom pedagogy. Since the launching of Wikipedia Education Program in 2013 activities of CIS-A2K has resulted in involvement of more than 1300 individuals across different educational institutions such as Christ University, Andhra Loyola College, Solapur University, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada Vidyapeeth and Shivaji University. During July 2017 – July 2018 around 130 participants connected by WEP activities were active on Wikipedia and other projects with more than 13% retention rate.
This improvement in retention is due to the wide range of activities organized outside the time frame of the scope of Wikipedia Education Program, including Wiki workshops for teachers, content building workshops in different educational institutions, Edit-a-thons, WikiClubs etc.
A number of activities have been carried out during this grant period with Education programs which has given support to the movement to a great extent.
|University/College name||City||Project||Blog /Other mentions|
|Christ (Deemed to be University)||Bengaluru||Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wikidata and Commons||Report|
|Solapur University||Solapur||Wikipedia and Commons||Event page|
|Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||MediaWiki||Event page|
|Andhra Loyola College||Vijayawada||Wikipedia||-|
|Dr.Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada Vidyapeeth||Aurangabad||Wikipedia||Event page|
|Shivaji University||Kolhapur||Wikipedia||Event page|
|Ismailsaheb Mulla Law College||Satara||Wikipedia||Event page|
|MGM Trust's College of Journalism||Aurangabad||Wikipedia||Event page|
|Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences||Bhubaneswar||Wikipedia||-|
|DKTE Society's Textile & Engineering Institute||Ichalkaranji||Wikipedia||Event page|
|Dayanand College||Solapur||Wikipedia||Event page|
|Willingdon College||Sangli||Wikipedia||Event page|
- Social media campaign
In order to encourage students and highlight the articles/pages created or edited by the students and to share best practices with the Wikimedia movement, an initiative has been taken on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
This initiative has been a great influence in promoting the work done by students to the communities also it helps the community members to understand the work done by the students as a part of the Education Program activities. While students have often failed to understand the importance of WEP editing as a contribution towards Open knowledge creation amalgamating their efforts with Google doodle, tweets and Facebook posts regarding the importance of their work has helped them to identify the utility of their contributions. The impact of their work is also visible in tangible measure which works as a mode of encouragement.
- Time line
We follow the below timeline at Christ University to make our work easier and it will be helpful for us to increase the participation of the community members to take part in the WEP activities.
- Odd Semester
|Month||1st Semester||3rd Semester|
|June||Orientation on Wikidata, allotment of the Q numbers and students doing the activity||Orientation and Writing the text about women achievers in 20 lines ( work done in Sandbox)|
|July||Language correction and grading from the faculty||Language correction and grading from the faculty|
|September||Proofreading of text on Wikisource||Wikification of the article written earlier and adding image|
|October||Language correction and grading from the faculty||Language correction, Wikification, and grading from the faculty|
|November||Verification of the work done by the students from community members or CIS-A2K||Verification of the work done by the students from community members or CIS-A2K|
|December||Moving qualitative articles to the main namespace and updating it to community members||Moving qualitative articles to the main namespace and updating it to community members|
- Even Semester
|Month||2nd Semester||4th Semester|
|November||Orientation and Writing the text on their user page||Orientation and Writing the text about their core subjects in 20 lines ( work done in Sandbox)|
|December||Language correction and grading from the faculty||Language correction and grading from the faculty|
|January||Internship activity for the students||Internship activity for the students|
|February||Wikification of their user page and adding an Image||Wikification of the article written earlier and adding image|
|March||Language correction, Wikification, and grading from the faculty||Language correction, Wikification, and grading from the faculty|
|April and May||Internship activity for the students||Internship activity for the students|
|June||Analysis of the work done by the students in this year and reporting to community members||Analysis of the work done by the students in this year and reporting to community members|
- Review meeting with WEP partner institutions
A2K led WEP activities have come under scanner from community members for sub standard articles and from the faculty members of the participating institutions for introducing a new process of evaluation. To overcome these problems A2K team has taken various such measures of integrating community members feedback during the allotment of topics for assignment, review of articles before uploading on main name-spcae from sandbox. One of the important measures that A2K has been following is the annual review meeting along with all stakeholders (students, faculty members, representative from the manamgement and A2K team member) of the initiative. This meeting is organised with the purpose of understanding glitches, concerns and areas of improvement. A comprehensive review of activities and planning of activities for the upcoming academic year is the primary agenda for this meeting.
- Certificate course
37 students from Christ University have enrolled themselves for a Wikipedia certificate course for the academic year of 2018-19. As an active step towards building awareness on content editing on Wikipedia in Indian languages, CIS-A2K in collaboration with Christ University started the certificate course for students in 2016. The Wikipedia certificate course is conducted after working hours for a total of 45 hours and carries 2 credits for the academic records of the University. The objective of this certificate course is to enable students to acquire skills working along with Wikimedia projects.
The course consists of three major components, the first step is an introduction to the concept of Wikipedia, which incorporates the history of online encyclopedias and the evolution of Wikipedia as one of the largest online encyclopedias available on the Internet. It also involves looking for resources for drafting articles on User sandbox and moving articles to the main space.
The second step teaches students on how to edit and publish articles on Wikimedia projects, also adding tables and references, and also includes introduction to common templates, Wikification of articles, legal aspects, policies, and guidelines, and how to identify vandalism and tackle it.
The third step discusses Wikipedia’s notability and social significance, which lets the students understand Wikipedia in a critical and evaluative manner, where topics such as Wikimedia ethics, Editing community as a social community, Wikimedia projects as a democratic approach towards knowledge creation, How Wikipedia is used by students, teachers librarians and journalists.
- Learning outcomes of the course
- Create and edit wiki articles of good quality, with references, illustrations and templates etc,
- Capacity to teach Wikipedia with peer groups, without any fear.
- Discuss what is a reasonable source critical approach for using Wikipedia as a reference.
- Outline the common criticism of Wikipedia's reliability and discuss how the reliability problems can be tackled.
The Wikipedia Certificate Course syllabus can be accessed here.
- Wikipedia Education Program review
- Christ University
WEP initiative is a collaboration of Christ (Deemed to be University) and The Centre for Internet Society (CIS), Bengaluru. Ms. Nichole Saad, Program Manager, WEP, Asia Region visited the institution during this program period and interacted with faculty and students. Her visit provided us a platform to share our learnings, experiences, and views on WEP initiative. Her meeting with the students was interactive on both the days and the discussion was fruitful. The session began with an introductory presentation wherein the achievements of the Wikipedia in the academic curriculum was mentioned. To keep the sessions active, activities were conducted for students on both the days. We shared our views on issues like acceptance of Wikipedia as a trusted Knowledge source was discussed widely. You can find the detailed report here.
|“||It is our job to move into digital pedagogies and Wikipedia is the best tool for that.
—Rathi M T, Educator at Christ University, Bangalore, India
- Andhra Loyola College
On 10 December 2017, A2K team arranged Nichole Saad's visit to Andhra Loyola College (ALC) where there have been WEP activities from past few years and Vasireddy Venkatadri Institute of Technology (VVIT) where Indic Wikimedian KCVelaga is trying to start a new Wikipedia Education Program. In Andhra Loyola College, an annual activity review was conducted. Nichole interacted with ALC students, management and staff who have been part of WEP and would be part of future activities during the visit. In VVIT, KCVelaga lead meetings with management where Nichole could give her insights and suggestions about successful Wikipedia Education Program.
- Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences
In the current workplan period, A2K team tried to revive Wikipedia Education Program in KISS. Our earlier WEP initiative was discontinued due to the lack of integration of academic calendar and objectives of WEP. As a first step, the A2K program organised a ground visit and needs assessment with the previously engaged teachers and authorities of Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences. The program was organised for two days to identify the gaps and failure of the previous program. On the first day, around 20 students and 10 teachers attended the basic Wikipedia orientation program on Wikipedia and about Wikipedia Education Program. During the second day, faculty members from the previous WEP were engaged in a conversation to identify the current needs and conditions that could lead to a revival of WEP. A2K has proposed to teachers to share their curriculum and academic calendars and also to organise a digital learning workshop for the University faculty.
- Integration of Wikidata in Education program
In 2017, We started Wiktidata based education program for the undergraduate students. As the wish to edit Wikipedia and its sister projects among undergraduate students was enormous, we decided to involve these students in editing Wikidata. Editing Wikidata doesn't have the same requirements as writing an encyclopedic article.
- Out of wiki events increase to contribution
Editing all day can be boring for students. That's why we try to organize/engage in diverse activities which are not directly connected to editing but supports education and personal development. These activities include photography, visits to different cultural and scientific institutions etc. Out of wiki activities encourage students to increase the contribution.
The emphasis on quality improvement (though difficult to implement) has motivated students to carefully compile references and enabled the faculty in taking the complete responsibility in the evaluative process.
- Involvement of community members
To Involve the community members in an active manner to keep the community updates at all stages of WEP.
- Evaluation Process
Till 2017 CIS-A2K was involved in the evaluation process of the work done by the students. Even after many attempts, we were not able to hand over this process to faculty, but in the year of 2017, we were able to motivate the faculty with the help of community members to do the complete evaluation of the work done by the students.
- Reaching out to community members through Newsletters
Newsletters are an extremely valuable tool used by institutions and organisations to spread awareness of the activities done or lead by them. It helps to maintain contact with community members and also attracts new participants and retaining existing participants. A2K team has not contributed regularly to global newsletters and would be sending regular updates hereafter. e emphasis on quality improvement (though difficult to implement) has motivated students to carefully compile references and enabled the faculty in taking the complete responsibility in the evaluative process.
- CIS-A2K has worked to increase the reach of Wikimedia movement and educational projects in India.
- More than 4,000 pages were proofread with the help of the students.
- We are associated with more than 17 Universities/colleges around India.
- 51 teachers participating in 25 Wiki training and seminars.
- 1,450 plus participants editing 9 months after the registration (i.e. made 5 edits).
- Telangana state IT department
CIS-A2K supported Telugu community's efforts to participate and discuss in World Telugu Conference 2017. Along with other Digital Telugu activists, Telugu Wikimedians participated in Digital Telugu conference conducted by Digital Media Wing of Telangana state IT department. Telugu Wikimedians represented and explained about free knowledge movement in Telugu to various other stakeholders of larger Digital Telugu movement.
IT and Cultural Departments of Telangana Government started releasing photo content into CC-BY-SA license which provided a basis for further content donation. Department of Culture is providing free venue in Ravindra Bharathi (Hyderabad) which helps in sustaining of community activities in Hyderabad. Another partner organization Annamayya Library located in Guntur is also providing venue for Wikipedia events which help increasing activity around the region.
A2K is collaborating with Government departments to conduct events to improve awareness about CC licenses and get more government content (especially books which has resource value) into free licenses. Trying to get more free and friendly spaces for Wikipedia meetups and events in other cities.
15th Governor of Odisha, from Facebook page of Information and Public Relation, Odisha
- Odisha State Government collaboration
|“||"Knowledge now made more accessible" All pictures videos and animations on this website can be used by anyone under our campaign for "Transparency in Governance".
CIS-A2K initiated a collaboration with Odisha Government departments during the Asian Athletics Championship Edit-a-thon, where CIS-A2K and community members approached the sports department to organise the Asian Athletics Championships Edit-a-thon and relicense their website with a Creative Commons license.
CIS-A2K followed the collaboration and along with the help of community members and Asaf Bartov CIS-A2K approached the Chief Minister's Office to continue relicensing project. This meeting was fruitful and two websites: Chief Minister's Office, Commerce and Transport department websites, seven social media accounts were relicensed into Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license. In the last workplan CIS-A2K was able to relicense eight government websites collaborating with more than five government departments.
|Website||'Relicensing Month||Wikimedia Projects Involved|
|Asian Athletics Championships||June 2017||Commons. Wikipedia, Wikidata|
|Chief Minister Office||September 2017||Commons. Wikipedia, Wikidata|
|Commerce and Transport||September 2017||Commons. Wikipedia|
|Information and Public Relations||January 2018||Commons, Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wikidata|
|STSC Development||January 2018||Commons, Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wikidata|
|Bhubaneswar.me||April 2018||Commons, Wikipedia|
|Smart City Bhubaneswar||April 2018||Commons, Wikipedia|
The collaboration has resulted in getting more than 460+ files into Wikimedia Commons and of which 69% files are used in different Wikimedia projects. Many athletes, political leaders, and projects got their first image in their Wikipedia article. Earlier before the collaboration, three out of thirteen Chief Ministers of Odisha had their image on Wikipedia article, now all the Chief Ministers have their image, along with that two former governors and the current governor also got their image as a part of this collaboration. Along with the images, many infographics and journals are currently part of Wikimedia Commons. All together the files have received more than 17 million page views in the last one year.
- Showing metrics of the work to the Government departments helped in continuing the collaboration.
- Many important articles got their first image.
- Images downloaded from Facebook decreased the resolution of images.
A2K is developing a partnership with the Government to adopt Creative Commons license as a part of a policy, which would help to improve many Wikimedia projects.
Light and Sound show at Dhauli, a Buddhist Monument in Bhubaneswar from Bhubaneswar.me website
- Partnerships with Scientific organisations
Maharashtra Rajya Marathi Vishwakosh Nirmiti Mandal has come up with 20 volumes of encyclopedic content and has pioneered a decentralized form of Knowledge generation by establishing 60 Gyanamandals for different knowledge streams. As of now, this Marathi encyclopedia contains 18,000+ articles on various subjects. Vishwakosh represents the earlier approach of engaging experts while Marathi Wikipedia represents the approach of community created and reviewed knowledge. Both of these ways lead to the same goal of Knowledge creation in Marathi. Vishwakosh and Wikipedia are joining forces for conducting programs for writers and content producers. Taking into consideration this noble cause, Prof. Madhav Gadgil, Prof. Jayant Narlikar, Marathi Vishwakosh Nirmiti Mandal, IUCAA, CIS-A2K, Rawat's Nature Academy and Saptahik Vivek Shilpakar Charitrakosh Prakalp took initiative to organize 'Wikipedia-Vishwakosh Workshop for Science Writers’ in Pune. Major organizations working for scientific knowledge propagation and diffusion like, Marathi Vigyan Parishad, Vijnana Bharati, Srushti Dnyan and Sakal Trust have come forward for technical facilitation and coordination. The workshop participants included science writers, organisations working for science promotion and active citizen science community. Total 330 people across the state participated.
|Institution||Present activity||Potential area of collaborative work|
|Marathi Vishwakosh||Offline & Online encyclopedia in marathi||Integrating content in Wikimedia projects, workshops of Dnyanmandals|
|Shilpakar Charitrakosh||Offline encyclopedias on people, history||Integrating content in Wikimedia projects, workshops of writers|
|Marathi Vigyan Parishad||Offline & online content generation on science||Integrating content in Wikimedia projects, workshops of Citizen science groups|
The vast categories in science sector need separate group coordinators for planning of content generation. It is very important to build the human resource network before and after the event. The positive outlook towards building the language content and open knowledge resources was developed due to collaborative efforts of various organisations in the sector.
- The workshop inspired science related institutions to take initiative for content generation. Series of workshops of science writers, maths writers, astronomy enthusiasts were conducted.
- Also content donation to Wikisource and Commons has started. Science magazines have also announced to re-licence their previous issues. Noted scientists Jayant & Mangala Narlikar, Madhav Gadgil have donated their books for Wikisource. Management Guru M.G. Ranganekar also donated his 2 popular books. Jai Nimbkar, daughter of noted anthropologist Prof. Irawati Karve also donated Irawati Karve's 6 books to Commons & Wikisource.
- In the workshop, many librarians have shown interest in taking free knowledge movement forward by taking up Wikipedia Library project. Two sessions were conducted in collaboration with Librarian's Association.
- Mass awareness was generated through the press and electronic media. All the leading newspapers covered the event extensively. Two editors wrote special features in Sunday issues.
- Student community expressed interest in working for technical issues by taking up internship projects. One workshop was conducted in Pune University for M.Tech students.
- Follow-up events conducted after the workshop
|18 Nov||Marathi Wikipedia Workshop for writers of Sandarbh Science magazine|
|27 & 28 Nov||Wikimedia Technical Workshop:Stage (I) at Dept. of Mathematics, Savitribai Phule Pune University|
|2 Dec||Marathi Wikipedia Workshop at Bhaskaracharya Pratishthan, Pune|
|17 Dec||Meeting with Librarians' Association on WIkipedia Library Project|
|January 18||Two books re-licensed by Narlikar uploaded on Commons|
|April 18||Six books re-licensed by Nimbkar uploaded on Commons|
- Partnership for building resources on Tribal culture, Forests & Livelihoods
CIS-A2K has been building partnerships with major state government departments in Maharashtra to promote free & open knowledge resources. One such effort resulted in official Govt. resolution of Tribal Research & Training Institute under State Tribal Development department on Expert's Study Group Formation for developing open knowledge Platforms. Eminent scientist Prof. Madhav Gadgil is leading the group. Community Advocate for Marathi Language is representing CIS-A2K in this group. A2K team shall work towards ‘Developing new and utilising existing Open & free platforms like Wikimedia Projects to build knowledge resources on Community Forest Management, Development of training modules in Unicode & make it accessible by common man, Digitisation of reference books, training booklets, govt docs, archives, images etc and making it accessible'.
Potential in working with Government departments was realised. Long term partnerships with such research organisations is mutually beneficial.
As the part of the mandate for expert group, we have started long term project on building repository on forest and biodiversity called 'Van Bodh' with these partners.
It is proposed to evolve Wikimedian in Residence scheme to document tribal culture, vital statistics, success stories and research outcomes from all the tribal museums in the state. The tribal cluster in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra will be taken as pilot project to develop content on villages, biodiversity and cultural aspects.
- Partnerships regarding Rural Culture & Women's issues
Sterlite Tech Foundation and Jnana Prabodhini are the organisations working for Women's Empowerment in Velhe Block of Pune District Maharashtra. Jeewan Jyoti - Sterlite's flagship initiative aims to address these issues by empowering the under privileged sections of society, especially rural women with equal learning opportunities and with professional training courses in their formative years; thereby providing them with sustainable income opportunities.
On 10 March 2017, the organisers collaborated with CIS-A2K to conduct first workshop for rural women. The women worked on village articles and development issues. For the year 2018, the thematic approach is taken to enrich content on rural culture on Wikimedia projects. Two iterations of content development sessions conducted in December and March 2018.
Lack of transportation facilities and other social restrictions prevent girls from continuous activity. Also they do not have personal computers, therefore they have to come to institute for editing. This problem could be solved by providing some small gadgets like tabs for consistency in work.
- Master trainers cum active editors are developed in this rural centre, which in turn developing new female youths in the area consistently
- The documentation project on 'Gunjawani River valley' has been started. In this project, about 120 village articles and 50 culture related articles have been newly created.
- The awareness about the Wikipedia platform for knowledge is being spread among the communities of 150 villages in contact with this center. Exposure to smartphone based searching in Marathi and reading Wikipedia is also now a regular feature here.
It is proposed to consolidate the process and replicate at some rural training centers. The trainers from these organisations will exchange their learning and provide training to others.
Tanveer Hasan speaking about the importance of digitisation of Dravida Nighantu
Revenues received during this period (6 month for progress report, 12 months for impact report)
Please use the exchange rate in your APG proposal. Table 2 Please report all spending in the currency of your grant unless US$ is requested.
- Please also include any in-kind contributions or resources that you have received in this revenues table. This might include donated office space, services, prizes, food, etc. If you are to provide a monetary equivalent (e.g. $500 for food from Organization X for service Y), please include it in this table. Otherwise, please highlight the contribution, as well as the name of the partner, in the notes section.
Revenue source Currency Anticipated Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Cumulative Anticipated ($US)* Cumulative ($US)* Explanation of variances from plan Wikimedia Foundation INR 12,000,000 4,297,935 2,702,065 - 4,997,935 12,000,000 180,000 180,000 CIS-A2K received 100% funding as per the recommendation of FDC. However, 2,702,065 was unspent in the previous grant period that amount we added in the second quarter(Q2).
* Provide estimates in US Dollars
Table 2 Please report all spending in the currency of your grant unless US$ is requested.
- Please also include any in-kind contributions or resources that you have received in this revenues table. This might include donated office space, services, prizes, food, etc. If you are to provide a monetary equivalent (e.g. $500 for food from Organization X for service Y), please include it in this table. Otherwise, please highlight the contribution, as well as the name of the partner, in the notes section.
Revenue source Currency Anticipated Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Cumulative Anticipated ($US)* Cumulative ($US)* Explanation of variances from plan Volunteer support INR - 25,000 27,700 30,800 18,200 101,700 - 1525.5 Travel & Stay INR - 12,800 21,000 24,300 10,800 68,900 - 1,033.5 Event organization and logistics INR - 37,000 44,300 56,500 30,025 167,825 - 2,517.375
* Provide estimates in US Dollars
Spending during this period (6 month for progress report, 12 months for impact report)
Please use the exchange rate in your APG proposal.
Table 3 Please report all spending in the currency of your grant unless US$ is requested.
- (The "budgeted" amount is the total planned for the year as submitted in your proposal form or your revised plan, and the "cumulative" column refers to the total spent to date this year. The "percentage spent to date" is the ratio of the cumulative amount spent over the budgeted amount.)
Expense Currency Budgeted Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Cumulative Budgeted ($US)* Cumulative ($US)* Percentage spent to date Explanation of variances from plan Staff Cost INR 3,376,735 731,850 707,173 653,732 1,283,980 3,376,735 50,651.02 50,651.02 100.00% Support to community INR 1,805,040 343,500 364,500 364,500 732,540 1,805,040 27,075.60 27,075.60 100.00% Staff Travel & Stay INR 312,488 23,374 - 84,711 342,481 450,566 4687.32 6,758.49 144.00% With 5 focused language area and relationships with communities such as Bengali, Hindi, Punjabi, interaction with Indic communities increased, that's why we had to spend more for this budget-line Volunteer Support INR 1,540,625 29,747 158,883 91,005 714,940 994,575 23,109.37 14,918.62 64.55% Events and Meetups INR 1,215,112 16,814 70,443 673,864 172,248 933,369 18,226.68 14,000.53 76.81% We expected to conduct more events, specially regional Train-the-Trainer and MediaWiki Training, which could not be done. Equipment INR 500,000 - 19,116 64,174 580,762 664,052 7,500 9,960.78 132.81% Assistant/Intern INR 240,000 - - - - - 3,600 - 0.00% We did not hire any intern in this period. Miscellaneous INR 150,000 2,453 21,562 112,667 24,034 160,716 2,250 2,410.74 107.14% These are expenses incurred for fun activities. Birthday celebration of Wikimedia projects, A2K team members and Visiting Wikimedians Digitization, Consultant & Consumables INR 675,000 19,998 65,399 31,774 251,259 368,430 10,125 5,527.95 54.58% Skill building INR 500,000 - 10,000 - 264,988 274,988 7,500 4,124.82 54.99% Assignment based internships INR 75,000 - 22,684 2,009 46,187 70,880 1,125 1,063.20 94.50% General Service & Support to the movement INR 550,000 214,634 351,663 127,426 65,428 759,151 8,250 11,387.26 138.02% A2K provided Wikimania Scholarship for Indic Wikimedians. Requests for travel assistance, resource exchange by the Indic Wiki communities are booked under this budget line. Creating movement resources INR 100,000 - - - 16,555 16,555 1,500 248.32 16.55% A2K was unable to utilise these funds for publishing and distributing of Community Resources as A2K started to promote web-based books. Institutional Development INR 1,200,000 - - - 1,001,561 1,001,561 18,000 15,023.41 83.46% Institutional Development fee TOTAL INR 12,000,000 1,382,370 1,791,423 2,205,862 5,496,963 10,876,618 180,000 163,149.20 90.63%
* Provide estimates in US Dollars
- Our finance team is in the process of settling a few advances and expenses. A comprehensive financial statement will be provided with the financial report.
- A2K team has utilised funds that were excess in salary section (due to transition of team members) towards volunteer support, events and meet-up and general support and service to the movement line items.
Is your organization compliant with the terms outlined in the grant agreement?
As required in the grant agreement, please report any deviations from your grant proposal here. Note that, among other things, any changes must be consistent with our WMF mission, must be for charitable purposes as defined in the grant agreement, and must otherwise comply with the grant agreement.
- No changes from the grant agreement.
Are you in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations as outlined in the grant agreement? Please answer "Yes" or "No".
Are you in compliance with provisions of the United States Internal Revenue Code (“Code”), and with relevant tax laws and regulations restricting the use of the Grant funds as outlined in the grant agreement? Please answer "Yes" or "No".
- Once complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.
Resources to plan for measurement
- Global metrics are an important starting point for grantees when it comes to measuring programmatic impact (Learning Patterns and Tutorial) but don’t stop there.
- Logic Models provide a framework for mapping your pathway to impact through the cause and effect chain from inputs to outputs to outcomes. Develop a logic model to map out your theory of change and determine the metrics and measures for your programs.
- Importantly, both qualitative and quantitative measures are important so consider both as you determine measures for your evaluation and be sure to ask the right questions to be sure to capture your program stories.
Resources for storytelling
- WMF storytelling series and toolkit (DRAFT)
- Online workshop on Storytelling. By Frameworks institute
- The origin of storytelling
- Story frames, with a focus on news-worthiness.
- Reading guide: Storytelling and Social change. By Working Narratives
- The uses of the story.
- Case studies.
- Blog: 3 Tips on telling stories that move people to action. By Paul VanDeCarr (Working Narratives), on Philanthropy.com
- Building bridges using narrative techniques. By Sparknow.net
- Differences between a report and a story
- Question guides and exercises.
- Guide: Tools for Knowledge and Learning. By Overseas Development Institute (UK).
- Developing a strategy
- Collaboration mechanisms
- Knowledge sharing and learning
- Capturing and storing knowledge.