Grants:APG/Proposals/2017-2018 round 1/Wikimedia Serbia/Proposal form
Proposal by Wikimedia Serbia to support its annual plan with 99,500 EUR.
Wikimedia Serbia worked significantly on re-examining the focus of its programs and activities. During 2017, a new strategy was developed for the period of three years (2018-2020). The document was officially adopted on September 18, and this annual plan was created based on it. There are three focuses - Wikipedia in education, Free content and Increasing the volunteers’ capacity. These focuses will be realized through the following programs: Education Program, GLAM and Community Support. The number of programs has been reduced, but projects within them have been strengthened. In this way, a higher impact and better results will be achieved. Establishing stronger partnerships and sustainable co-operations brings us to the desired goals.
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the edit intro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
- Wikimedia Serbia worked significantly on re-examining the focus of its programs and activities. During 2017, a new strategy was developed for the period of three years (2018-2020). The document was officially adopted on September 18, and this annual plan was created based on it. There are three focuses - Wikipedia in education, Free content and Increasing the volunteers’ capacity. These focuses will be realized through the following programs: Education Program, GLAM and Community Support. The number of programs has been reduced, but projects within them have been strengthened. In this way, a higher impact and better results will be achieved. Establishing stronger partnerships and sustainable co-operations brings us to the desired goals.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Wikimedia Serbia
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 1/01/2018-12/31/2018
- Currency requested: EUR
- Name of primary contact: Filip Maljković
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||99,500.00||118,228.89|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||99,500.00||118,228.89|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||94,200.00||105,000.00|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- One of Wikimedia Serbia's projects is Community Support which aims to increase the motivation of Wikipedians and Wikimedians regarding their work on projects and other activities, as well as to reduce the gap between online and offline communities. Through various activities, we are working on community involvement in current projects and we are listening to their opinions and ideas. Questionnaires at conferences, camps and other events can often provide valuable feedback from volunteers. Based of these suggestions and comments, projects and activities are being created. The annual Wikipedian meet-up (WikiLive) is a good opportunity for editors of Wikimedia projects to gather at one place, share knowledge and transfer their ideas into clear projects. Wikimedia Serbia seeks to increase transparency and to inform the community of current global and local events via mailing list, blog, Village Pump and profile on social networks.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Financials: current year
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 94,200.00 105,000.00 94,452.68 105,281.67 94,452.68 105,281.67 Expenses 92,200.00 102,770.73 61,860.54 68,952.85 88,600.00 98,757.99
Table 2 notes: The amount of planned (budgeted) expenses is reduced by the value of the contingency budget.
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, and overall
- Include targets for each of the three shared measures for each program, and overall. If one or more of these required metrics are not relevant to any of your programs, please consult your program officer.
- Also choose at least two grantee-defined metrics to highlight in this section, and include targets for each of these grantee-defined metrics for each program, and overall. (Other program-specific metrics may be included in your program objectives, in the detailed program sections below.)
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- Usage of multimedia files: In this case, the number of multimedia files used to illustrate Wikimedia projects will be measured. In addition to the quantity of collected (or released) multimedia files, usage is also important because it shows their relevance and importance.
- Partnerships: This metric includes the number of established cooperations with educational institutions within the projects and activities of Wikimedia Serbia. These cooperations mean implementation of various projects in mentioned institutions, organization of edit-a-thons, workshops, lectures and exhibitions. We believe that this metric is important because it shows the growth of the program and the expansion of the associates’ network, and therefore affects the greater visibility of the organization and projects.
Program Participants Newly registered Content pages Usage of multimedia files Partnerships Education Program 1670 1360 1160 300 35 GLAM 208 143 3590 300 16 Community Support 116 35 9550 2400 5 TOTAL FOR ALL PROGRAMS 1994 1538 14300 3000 56
Table 3 notes:
- Note: Wikimedia Serbia will alter one of the metrics in 2018. Instead of the number of events measured in 2017, it will now focus on the number of partnerships achieved. These partnerships are very important, as they influence the realization of future cooperations and are the result of many years of the organization’s efforts. When we take an example of cooperation with educational institutions, it is common practice for our associates to approach us, because they have heard from others about workshops, lectures, seminars that we have held. This partnership will also show the growth of the program from year to year. In the framework of the education program, the number of secondary schools and faculties with which cooperation is achieved (in which the Wiki Gymnasium or Wiki Student is being implemented) will be counted. This will include the support of ministries in implementing projects, as well as cooperation with the Institute for the Improvement of Education.
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- The objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
|Wikipedia in schools||Accredited seminars||Edu Wiki camp|
The Education Program of Wikimedia Serbia is intended for educational and scientific institutions, primarily teachers/professors and pupils/students of secondary and higher education institutions. The goal of the program is to develop Wikimedia projects in the academic environment, their popularization and enrichment with the new content. Projects within the education program are adapted to the level of education and target group. They are implemented through workshops, seminars, edit-a-thons and other events. There are three primary target groups for which the projects are intended:
- Pupils/students represent the largest target group we work with. In the majority of cases, this is the first time they are met with Wikipedia editing, and what we are trying to do is encourage them through the “Wikipedia in Schools” project to continue to edit Wikipedia after the completion of their participation in the project, but also encourage them to volunteer on various Wikimedia projects.
- Teachers/professors/assistants are a very important target group because they represent the best way to get pupils and students to work on Wikipedia. Although it rarely happens that they continue actively editing Wikipedia after taking the accredited seminar, we often cooperate with them on the “Wikipedia in Schools” project, which they see as a chance to modernize their teaching resources and make teaching innovative.
- Volunteers are a target group that mostly helps the realization of activities in the education program. They are mostly students of the final years of studies and most often their activities are reduced to the Wiki Ambassador activities, the promotion of the “Wikipedia in Schools” project, and assistance in realization of training and seminars.
|Wikipedia in schools||Accredited seminars||Edu Wiki camp|
|For whom?||Teachers/professors and pupils/students
of secondary and higher education institutions
|Teachers of primary and secondary schools||Active and new editors, students of the beginner years of the studies, Wiki ambassadors|
|Where?||Offline and online||Offline and online||Offline and online|
|When?||throughout the school year||throughout the school year||Once a year during the summer months (July / August)|
The “Wikipedia in Schools” project that includes Wiki Gymnasium, Wiki Student and other activities in educational institutions, involves the training of pupils from secondary schools and students for editing Wiki projects and writing seminal papers on Wikipedia. Therefore, we mean using various Wikimedia projects as free educational platforms, through a variety of project activities. The idea is that pupils from secondary school or students write seminal papers and contribute to the quality and quantity of articles, bearing in mind that the topics are mostly about their profession or subject. Apart from Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons, which we have most often developed in academic activities, our goal is also to develop less represented Wiki projects (eg. Wikidata, Wiktionary, Wikiquote). As part of the “Wikipedia in Schools” project, informal trainings of teachers/professors for editing Wikipedia and/or other Wiki projects are also carried out in order to be able to edit, but also to train students, monitor and evaluate their work. Since 2005, the project has had many successes in terms of the results achieved. So far, we have cooperated with 20 high schools, 15 faculties and colleges throughout Serbia, which has led to the expansion of a network of collaborators and volunteers who participate in the educational activities of Wikimedia Serbia.
The accredited seminar for teachers is an opportunity for improvement of primary and secondary school teachers through the use of online Wiki tools. The seminar titled "Application of online wiki tools as didactic means in teaching" is being implemented by Wikimedia Serbia and accredited by the Institute for the Improvement of Education for a period of two school years: 2016/2017 and 2017/2018. The Institute was established by the Government of Republic of Serbia to monitor the quality and development of education. The importance of seminars is multiple because professors are thus able to use Wikipedia independently and receive recommendations and guidelines on how to involve it in the teaching process. This way, direct contact with interested professors is realized, which can be subsequently included in the education program. Teachers who use the lessons learned share their experiences with others, making it possible to come up with different models of applying Wikipedia and other Wiki projects in the classroom. The project was recognized and financially supported by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development for the 2016/2017 school year. So far, a total of 16 seminars were held, in 13 schools, and attended by over 300 students. It is important to emphasize that through holding these seminars, we are trying to involve as many schools as possible throughout Serbia, especially in places where teachers do not have much opportunity to attend similar seminars.
Edu camp was designed with the idea to further educate and network students/pupils in order to create the base of the education program ambassadors and/or a team of active volunteers. The camp was developed with the idea of gathering young people, active editors, Wiki ambassadors and others interested in enriching Wikipedia and other Wiki projects, in order to enhance their skills in the development of the education program of Wikimedia Serbia. The proof that such camps are needed and fruitful, is the enthusiasm of the up to now engaged Wiki ambassadors who work within the education program. Practice has shown that this group of students was very active, but they lack other members and they need to work on additional empowerment and education in order to perform the planned activities as well as possible. Better prepared and trained ambassadors and/or volunteers can significantly contribute to the quality of the education program, which is exactly what Edu Wiki camp serves for. The program of the Edu Wiki camp is always diverse and includes photo tours, edit-a-thons, team building and many other activities. The camp is intended for pupils of the final year of secondary schools and students, and so far two Edu Wiki camps, in Golija and Vrnjačka Banja, have been held, with a total of 30 participants. Edu Wiki Camp will be also held in 2018.
|Link to our vision:|
The “Wikipedia in Schools” project is closely related to the vision of the organization by giving us the opportunity to influence the spread of free knowledge in the easiest way. Through the maintenance of workshops on this project and writing of articles by participants and students in a direct way we get an increase of content on Wiki projects. Through these activities, we contribute to the idea of volunteerism, which is an important base of our organization, in the way that a large number of students after the completed project are more or less interested in volunteering on one of our activities.
The project of accredited seminars is linked to the vision of the organization in a way that represents a better channel for the implementation of all future projects that are usually realized in schools after the completed seminar. This project is one of those that provides us with long-term cooperation with schools, and thus increases the visibility of our organization, and thus the vision. Through the activities on this project, we also contribute to the dissemination of free knowledge and increasing the content on Wiki projects. In addition, through active discussions with teachers we come up with new ideas and better solutions in working with students, which increases the quality of other projects.
Edu Wiki Camp is linked to the vision of the organization in a way that directly contributes to increasing the volunteer capacity of the organization that will influence the empowerment of the previous two projects. In addition, through this project we are gathering not only volunteers, but we also form a group of students who are especially motivated to become active ambassadors at their faculties and thus directly influence the awareness of their peers about the spread of free knowledge and its significance. After the Edu Wiki Camp, most of them take an active part in the education program, which gives us important guidelines for adapting the program to a specific institution, which results in a greater effect of the projects.
|Models of cooperation:|
GLAM:Galleries, Libraries, Achieves and Museums
|Wiki Loves GLAMers||Wikipedian in residence||Wikimedian in decentralization|
GLAM is a standard program, realized by Wikimedia Serbia, modeled on the success of this project in other Wikimedia chapters. The diversity of this program enables a wide range of cooperations with cultural institutions and other similar organizations, but also with individuals. The goal of this project is to develop bidirectional cooperation in creating and improving the availability of our country’s cultural and historical heritage on the Internet. The focus of Wikimedia Serbia will be to achieve stable and long-term cooperation with cultural institutions, primarily those within the G.L.A.M. acronym, as well as all other cultural institutions that want to participate in the creation of open and free content.
|Wiki loves GLAMers||Wikipedian in residence/decentralization|
|For whom?||Cultural institutions, collectors,
artists, volunteers, new audiences
|Active and new editors, |
employees of GLAM institutions
|Where?||Online and offline||Online and offline|
|When?||throughout the year||Wikipedian in residence: three per year (in a period of one month each)|
Wikimedian in decentralization: three times in a year (one week each)
With this project we will cover more fields of the GLAM program. In the first place, our main focus will be the establishment of stable and long-term cooperation with cultural institutions from the base of the GLAM acronym (galleries, libraries, archives and museums), but also raising the awareness about the existence and development of this program in our country. During 2017, a call was sent to every archive in Serbia for the internship program, and these institutions were generally interested to participate in GLAM. Also, the previously achieved cooperation with various archives has enabled positioning of WMRS as a loyal partner who enables greater visibility of collections in these institutions. Therefore, we will direct our resources in 2018 to establish and achieve cooperation with archives, of whom more than 30 exist in Serbia. In addition to the archives, the Wiki-Librarian project has been showing excellent results for years, training librarians throughout the country to edit Wikipedia. Given that librarians have access to various resources needed to create content on Wikipedia, we will provide strong support for the continuation of this project, but also motivate librarians to join the 1lib1ref global campaign in January. The establishment of cooperation with a number of museums in Serbia will be realized through projects Wiki in museums in Vojvodina, a project by the Museum in Trstenik called Forming of Trstenik Wiki team, as well as the digitization of collections from the National Museum of Zrenjanin. All projects include presentations and workshops about the goals and mission of Wikimedia Serbia, free licenses, editing of Wikipedia and other Wiki projects in these institutions.
The internship program provides a direct link between Wikimedia Serbia, as well as the editors of Wikipedia, with cultural institutions that want to contribute to presenting cultural and historical material to the wider audience. The plan of WMRS for 2018 is the realization of three such standard programs which involve one month paid engagement of an experienced editor of Wikipedia in a particular cultural institution. They would be, according to a clearly defined plan and strictly defined metrics, working on the digitization of materials, photographing collections, writing new one articles and supplementing existing ones, as well as holding presentations and editing workshops on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons for institution’s staff. In addition to this program, we have prepared a pilot project "Wikimedian in decentralization". Since the definition of “Wikipedian in residence” program is limiting for cultural institutions in smaller towns in Serbia, in terms of daily engagement of Wikipedia editors per month and finding a reliable Wikipedian for such work, this idea is a combination of the internship program with general GLAM activities. The idea is to send one WMRS staff member and one volunteer to a particular cultural institution that is willing to cooperate, and the two of them would do the smaller scope of “Wikipedian in residence” job: educating GLAM staff on editing Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons, digitizing the most valuable materials and helping employees with writing and/or improving a certain number of articles. The WMRS staff could present the work of the organisation most efficiently, ie. GLAM program, and establish long-term cooperation with the institution, but could also provide "speed at work" and concrete GLAM training for volunteers (free licenses, photo permissions...). Volunteers would be chosen by a public call, and the selection of volunteers necessarily involves inviting the active Wikipedians from the city where the institution is, or the surroundings. This approach would enable decentralization of cooperation with cultural institutions, especially given the generally higher interest of cultural institution employees in "smaller" places to propose reaching their visitors through giving a glimpse of their cultural and historical heritage on the Internet. On the other hand, a large number of realized GLAM co-operations gives more significance to the entire program in Serbia. We would also reward volunteers with smaller "awards", such as library membership cards, museums and theater tickets, books, encyclopedias, event tickets...
|Link to our vision:|
GLAM institutions possess rich content which, in cooperation with Wikimedia Serbia, directly contributes to the dissemination of free knowledge and presents cultural and historical heritage in wiki projects. Achieving two-way collaboration with these institutions provides high-quality sources for writing and illustrating articles in Wikipedia, as well as free materials that display collections which are mostly preserved in the storage and cannot reach the eyes of the public. Unfortunately, these institutions do not have enough financial resources, together with human resources for the digitization process, so collaboration with Wikimedia Serbia can ease this process of national importance. The role of Wikimedia Serbia is also to educate them about free licenses and copyrights, which are still unknown to most GLAM institutions.
This program enhances the cooperation with a particular cultural institution, realizes the process of digitizing archive material, generates content on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikisource, conveys the idea of sharing and spreading free knowledge, educates GLAM institutions’ staff on free licenses and copyright protection, but also motivates selected interns / editors of Wikipedia and volunteers of WMRS to contribute to wiki projects and thus feel more strongly related to the community and organization.
|Models of cooperation:|
|WikiLive||Animating the community||Competitions on Wikipedia|
This program is implemented in order to create and maintain better and healthier conditions in the community, as well as to establish strong communications and improve members' motivation. There are several types of volunteers to whom support will be provided through various program activities:
- Online volunteers - in many cases, they are editors of Wiki projects (mostly Wikipedia) who contribute in increasing free content, but for some reason they are not prone to frequent meet-ups or are more comfortable editing than participating in project activities.
- Volunteers who participate in projects and events organized by Wikimedia Serbia. They are mostly people who were introduced to Wikipedia through WMRS projects (education projects, camps, conferences ...) and continued to volunteer in the organization.
- Offline volunteers - volunteers engaged in translation, event organization, logistical help related to meet-ups or Wiki Stand. Although they do not actively edit Wikipedia, they help the organization through the activities that are most in line with their interests.
By closely examining the goals we want to achieve, we have created three main projects within the Community program. These projects are mindfully designed to motivate each of the aforementioned volunteer groups respectively, and through each of them we aspire to increase the community involvement within projects.
|WikiLive||Animating the community||Competitions on Wikipedia|
|For whom?||Active Wikipedia editors||Offline and online volunteers, project leaders,
potential new members of our community
|Current and new Wikipedia editors|
|Where?||Offline||Offline and online support||Online (Wikipedia)|
|When?||April 2018||throughout the year||3 times per year|
By organizing the annual gathering, we are working on strengthening the community and introducing active editors to the new ones. In addition to an important social factor, the conference has a diverse program which involves current topics from Wikipedia, many projects that have significantly contributed to enriching free content and promoting free knowledge. This event has become a regular annual project and is being organized since 2015. Lectures are a good way to inform the community about current projects, as well as the problems that exist. During the workshops that represent an integral part of the program, presenters come together to find solutions and new ideas for projects. Various activities are also being realized in order to enhance better teamwork between members of the community, together with higher quality content on Wikipedia. In addition to presentations and various types of workshops, the “Branislav Jovanović award” is given to the best volunteer of the year.
The project itself is very specific, bearing in mind that it encompasses a series of activities in order to increase the motivation and participation of the community in the projects of Wikimedia Serbia. The idea is to motivate the members of our community through better communication, in order to help them stay active on Wiki projects, get involved in local projects and be informed about events in the Wikimedia Movement. We also include international Wikimedia conferences where they can participate. Through various communication channels, the community is informed of events, results, and receives invitations to actively engage. Volunteers will be invited to gatherings and they’ll have the opportunity to represent the organization as a part of Wiki corner, which will be placed at popular locations and various events. Wiki corner is actually a stand that promotes Wikipedia and other Wiki projects, where the visitors can participate in the editing Wikipedia on the spot and can be awarded symbolically afterwards. We will also assign microgrants to new volunteers who have good ideas, but lack finances to implement them. In this way, through smaller activities, they can realize smaller projects before launching larger ones. By allocating microgrants, we reduce the risk of project failure, and the network of WMRS volunteers is expanding. Such projects are often organized outside of Belgrade, which increases decentralization and increased activity in other cities in Serbia. So far, we have had successful projects, and most of the volunteers who led them continued to be active and to submit annual projects. Together with microprojects and volunteers who participated in them, Wikimedia Serbia continues to support individuals who make a significant contribution to Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. These volunteers, who have been active in various projects for some time, are collecting photos and writing articles about natural and cultural heritage of Serbia, as well as various other features. Bearing in mind that these volunteers continuously contribute, we think that in this way they are additionally motivated and their retention is secured. In 2018, “Exploring Fruška Gora”, “On the Border of Pannonia and Dinarides”, and “Roadside memorials and tombstones in Serbia” will be supported by Wikimedia Serbia, and implemented by volunteers who already had similar projects in the previous years and had good results.
The competitions on Wikipedia are a good way to achieve two goals through one project. Volunteers get involved and are encouraged to be competitive, and at the same time they directly create new content on Wikipedia. In addition to writing new articles, participants can enrich existing ones, thus extending articles that might not be edited otherwise. Such projects enable regional cooperation (eg. CEE Spring) and strengthen relations among chapters. Also, through the organization of such activities, the motivation and participation of the community is increased. It is not only established within the competition, but also through activity organizing, contacting associations and jurying articles. Competitions are a good way to bring Wikimedians and Wikipedians together.
|Link to our vision:|
This conference allows editors to get to know each other, together overcoming various barriers that will indirectly lead to better motivation of volunteers who form the core of Wikipedia and Wikimedia Serbia. Within the framework of various topics, constructive discussions are encouraged, where we often come up with new ideas and/or solutions for current problems. This event enables the gathering of volunteers with the same vision in one place, which leads to the strengthening of our community and the retention of editors at Wiki projects, and therefore to the increase of free content.
Providing support to volunteers is directly related to the volunteering nature of the entire movement. Increasing the number of volunteers enables stable projects with greater impact and visibility of the vision that we share. Together with the active editors, an important target group are also new volunteers, to whom we provide support in the form of training or funds for the implementation of the small-scale projects (microgrants). In this way they expand the volunteer network of the Wikimedia Movement in order to propagate free knowledge.
Contests on Wikipedia directly contribute to increasing free content on Wikipedia and result in a significant number of written and edited articles. In addition, participants are motivated and interested in participating in the competition.
|Models of cooperation:|
One of the most important and challenging things in 2017 definitely was creating the strategy of Wikimedia Serbia for the period between 2018 and 2020. This document is crucial because it creates the path that the organisation should follow and sets the guidelines that should keep the organization on that path. The process of strategy development started in April 2017 and consisted of several steps. First of all, we wanted to include community in this process. That’s why we created a questionnaire for the community members and those who were in some way connected with the organization (Wikipedians, Wikimedians, partners, associates, etc.). The questionnaire contained questions that covered the existing and possible issues that the organization can deal with. In parallel with filling up the questionnaire, a strategy draft was created in which we implemented the ideas from the community. From May to September, several Board meetings were held where strategy was discussed and improved. It has been translated into English, in order to receive feedback from the representatives of the Wikimedia Foundation. Finally, on September 18, the document was adopted, and it is available both in Serbian and English. Based on these guidelines, this annual plan has been created, which will mean the beginning of the implementation of the new strategy.
Language versions of annual plan
Wikimedia Serbia annual plan is available both in Serbian and English.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
- Due to the limited financial resources, WMRS Board made a decision regarding WMRS staff. Namely, it was decided not to renew the contract of one of the two Education Program Managers, after the expiration of the current one and upon one of the manager's return from temporally absence. The decision was made because of the inability of the organization to have five employees and based on their so far achieved results. Bearing this in mind, in 2018, there will be no changes in terms of the number of positions in Wikimedia Serbia. There are four positions at this point: Program and Community Manager, Education Program Manager, Communication Manager and Office Manager. Also, Program and Community Manager will continue on monitoring and evaluating other employees.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Program and Community Manager 1 1 Education Program Manager 1 1 Communication Manager 1 1 Office Manager 1 1 Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 4 4
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- By the end of the current funding period, Wikimedia Serbia plans to spend 45,200.00 EUR or 50,382.18 USD on staff.
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- By the end of the upcoming funding period, Wikimedia Serbia plans to spend 48,840.00 EUR or 58,033.15 USD on staff.
Follow the link to our Budget 2018.
Financials: upcoming year
Detailed budget: upcoming year
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).
- Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
- Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
- Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application)
WMF Grant 99,500.00 118,228.89 In the process of requesting funding Various schools (space for accredited seminars) 3,000.00 3,564.69 In-kind donation (expected) Interglider 1,440.00 1,711.05 In-kind donation Startit Center 800.00 950.58 In-kind donation Various institutions (space for edit-a-thons) 1,500.00 1,782.35 In-kind donation (expected) University Library "Svetozar Marković" 900.00 1,069.41 In-kind donation Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 107,140.00 127,306.97 -
Table 5 notes:
- Interglider will do the hosting and server administration services.
- Startit Center will provide space for the Wiki Live 2018 conference.
- University Library "Svetozar Marković" will provide space for the Wikipedia birthday celebration and last WLE 2017 exhibition.
Operating reserves: current and upcoming years
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
- Since its foundation, Wikimedia Serbia has built its own reserves from memberships and non-purpose donations, mainly from community members. FDC funding have never been used for building the reserves of Wikimedia Serbia.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) 0 0 0 0 0 0 Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 0 0
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
- Wikimedia Serbia does not request any FDC funding in the upcoming period to build its reserves.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Educational Program 6,200.00 7,367.03 - Wikipedia in Schools 2,200.00 2,614.11 - Accredited Seminars 1,000.00 1,188.23 - Wiki Edu Camp 3,000.00 3,564.69 Free Content: GLAM 11,600.00 13,783.47 - Wiki Takes GLAMers 8,000.00 9,505.84 - Wikipedian in Residence 2,100.00 2,495.28 - Wikimedian in Decentralization 1,500.00 1,782.35 Community 11,900.00 14,139.94 - Community Support 7,900.00 9,387.02 - WikiLive 7,900.00 9,387.02 - Wikipedia Competitions 1,000.00 1,188.23 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 29,700.00 35,290.43
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 29,700.00 35,290.43 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 20,960.00 24,905.31 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 48,840.00 58,033.15 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 99,500.00 118,228.89
Table 8 notes:
Verification and signature
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.