Grants:APG/Proposals/2018-2019 round 2/Wikimedia Indonesia/Staff proposal assessment
As decided at the end of last fiscal year (2017-2018), we have implemented a lightweight approach for Round 2 2018-2019 of Annual Plan Grants - General support. This will enable all participants to direct resources toward better alignment with the Wikimedia Strategic Direction. Applicants and staff have worked together between January to May. Staff offered feedback on past reports and plans, and worked with applicants to develop their upcoming annual plans. Organizations submitted lightweight summaries of their annual plans which are the basis for these funding recommendations. These recommendations are informed by the decision not to increase funding from last year's FDC recommendations. There is an exception for emerging communities outside of Europe. In this round, Wikimedia Indonesia and CIS were eligible for increased funding, and only Wikimedia Indonesia has requested a grant increase.
Working with organizations in a more systematic way to develop their annual plans has allowed:
- better alignment with the movement strategy direction, achieved by working closely with organization to develop their annual plans;
- funding capped at last year's level has prompted organizations to review and rethink some of their priorities, or to focus on securing external funding opportunities, and;
- a more thoughtful approach to grants metrics (focused on participation and content) and their use, including more qualitative metrics.
This lightweight approach has been adapted from the previous round. This round includes five annual plan summaries for the next grant period. Recommendations and remarks made by the FDC and staff in previous years have been taken into account by the organizations.
Text for approval - Wikimedia Indonesia
- Wikimedia Indonesia (WMID): Requesting approval for 4,292,505,000 IDR (~$305,000) , based on the request they have submitted for an increase over last year’s grant. WMID has proven capacity to deliver results while working in a challenging environment, is strongly aligned with emergent strategic thinking in the movement, and has a different way of working that we can learn from.
- Wikimedia Indonesia has shown leadership through their work on content diversity, welcoming newcomers, and leadership development. Working in a country with a large and rapidly growing population, more than 700 languages, 300 ethnic groups and only around 20 Wikimedia projects in local languages, Wikimedia Indonesia is well-placed to make significant impact. They are also one of few well-developed and well-resourced Wikimedia organizations in Asia. They have been actively partnering with the Wikimedia Foundation to implement projects in Indonesia, and they are strengthening ties with other organizations in East and Southeast Asia who are at various stages of development. Delphine (WMF) (talk) 21:27, 9 July 2019 (UTC)
Approved by the Executive Director 22 May 2019