Grants:APG/Proposals/2019-2020 round 2/Wikimedia Indonesia/Proposal form
Wikimedia Indonesia is willing to cover more than 700 languages and 300 ethnic groups across the island nations of Indonesia to get them available on the internet. Our five-year strategic planning from 2017-2022 emphasizes on community development and support to achieve our goals. We believe by having a stronger community presence, we can build a more sustainable environment for nurturing the free knowledge culture. For the next grant year, we are going to build new communities in another four cities and strengthen the established communities. We also invite and reach various organisations to get involved in Wikimedia movements and raise awareness about the importance of free knowledge. We believe by reaching out to various communities and organisations, Indonesian local content will be more enriched and our movement can be more inclusive. These efforts are in line with knowledge equity and to make the knowledge that we provided as a primal service to open the various opportunities to our emerging community. We would like to ensure that the infrastructure and challenges will not limit our efforts to deliver knowledge to our community.
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
Since 2008, Wikimedia Indonesia is dedicated to developing the capacity of the Wikimedia communities in Indonesia and improving the internal organization of Wikimedia Indonesia. We work to run programs that resulted in direct positive impacts on the entire Wikimedia community in Indonesia and the Indonesian population in general. For the last several years, we emphasize on community development and support, as we believe our community is the key. We want to have a stronger community presence to achieve our goals. One of the efforts carried out by Wikimedia Indonesia is to increase community capacity by conducting regular training and meetings.
This year, Wikimedia Indonesia is focusing on four main programs: (1) Community Development & Support, (2) Education, (3) GLAM, and (4) Content Enrichment. These programs have been previously running in 2019, and we will continue all the program in line with our five-year strategic plan. Receiving ideas and initiatives from the communities in several meetups and in-person discussion, Wikimedia Indonesia will expand its programs to reach more regions in Indonesia, conducting more intense training and meetups, and create a partnership with more institutions. These strategies aim to not only increase participation on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects but also to invite any individuals and institutions who have similar missions to get involved in. We also change our grantee-defined metrics to a total of the active community members and the active collaborative partners, as we understand that our program is related to the communities and partners to collaborate and enable the program.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Perkumpulan Wikimedia Indonesia
- Organization's fiscal year: 01 January–31 December
- 12-month funding period requested: 01 July 2019–30 June 2020
- Currency requested: United States Dollar
- Name of primary contact: Biyanto Rebin
- 3. Amount requested.
|Currency requested (IDR)||Amount in USD|
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||5,073,740,000||355,162|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||5,073,740,000||355,162|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||4,292,505,000||304,768|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- We held the meeting with the community, either offline or online, during month of January-March every year. We conduct the evaluation or feedback about our previous program and asking them what can we improve together. We build the program together with the community as we understand they are the one who taking care our online and offline events or projects. Our aim is to make sure that they are included in the conversation not only as the spectator.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
- Please consult Wikimedia Indonesia strategic plans.
Annual plan summary
Community Development and Support
Wikimedia Indonesia's support on local communities through the past APG19 Community programs started to show impact. Five city-based communities were established in the past year, and more communities are likely to establish in the near future. Supporting community growth means it is more feasible for Wikimedia to carry out programs in more widespread areas efficiently. Given that, on community-wise, we will continue our past programs which includes: Development, Support, and Conference. In addition to that, one program that was belonged to Education is now included into Community, the Internship program.
- Event and activities:
- Community development: Communities under Wikimedia Indonesia have to carry out monthly activities, e.g. training, meetups, and going to school, to be considered active. Therefore, monthly meetings are necessary for them to manage their resources in a month. This program funds their monthly meetings and managerial related activities.
- Community support: Communities are expected to explore their shared and individual interests that can help improve contents on Wikimedia projects. They are given funding to create their own programs which include team development activities, grant-related activities, and books for individuals.
- WikiNusantara (national conference): When this conference started to gain hype among communities, it had to cancel due to the COVID-19. However, we plan to retain the program for the next year hoping that the hype is not gone from communities. The future conference will take place in Padang as the place of the cancelled conference.
- Internship: This program was part of Education and now is put into Community due to its nature that is related to community development. This internship is about training new volunteers on how to do online and offline activities, finally to become trainers. The goal of this program is the growing numbers of volunteers with the capacity of trainers.
Last year, our Education program carried out several program branches, each with its own format, purpose, and uniqueness. All of our Education programs were arranged comprehensively so that they would be able to take place continuously and reach the final goals, which are increasing the number of active contributors and trainers in various Wikimedia projects, and also introducing the utilization of Wikipedia as a teaching-learning tool. This year, we are determined to continue our several prominent program branches with some adjustments, mainly in terms of the curricula and materials given. The goals for this year’s Education program are still the same as the ones we have previously envisioned. Apart from that, increasing awareness about Wiki projects and our movement to the public will always be our must-to-achieve goal in the Education program.
- Events and activities:
- WikiLatih (Wikipedia training): a Wikipedia editing workshop in Indonesian and several local languages. In this event, we give the opportunity to individuals, communities, and institutions to see and understand how Wikimedia projects work. We also let them know the advantage of contributing to Wiki projects and provide support to them until they are motivated to voluntarily contribute.
- Wiki Masuk Sekolah (Wikipedia Goes to School): a Wikipedia editing workshop that is integrated with the curricula of the collaborated educational institutions, with six regular meetings in one semester. In this year’s event, we have also planned to involve not only our communities, but teachers or lecturers who want to independently organize this program at their institutions.
- WikiPelatih and Evaluation (training for trainers): a Wikipedia intensive training for trainers. Mainly aimed for those who have participated in Wikipedia editing workshops for beginners before, and also for those who have regularly contributed to Wiki projects and events. In this event, we attempt to upgrade the competence of these contributors to become trainers, so that they can share their knowledge to the community, while continuing to contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- WikiKopdar (meetups), an edit-a-thon meetup program that is conducted regularly for the existing communities. In this event, the participants are invited by the communities to edit Wikipedia together.
- WikiPanduan (Wiki guidebook): a program that aims to compose a guidebook for the beginners. This year, we will translate and adapt last year’s guidebook to 3 local languages (Javanese, Sundanese, and Minangkabau).
Collaborating with GLAM institutions (galleries, libraries, archives, and libraries), Wikimedia Indonesia digitized more than thousands of manuscripts. Also, there are more than hundreds editions of magazines from the Minangkabau Documentation and Cultural Information Center, newspapers in the Sundanese language from Ajip Rosidi Library, magazines from the Dewantara Kirti Griya Museum, and editions of Kajawen magazine that have been digitized.
Since this year, Wikimedia Indonesia aims to open collaboration involving local GLAM institutions in the region to cooperate in digitizing and put their collection on Wikimedia Commons. This can directly provide opportunities for researchers outside the area who are looking for material and research objects easily and practically. Besides this approach, we would like to put more effort in curating the existing collections we have digitized to raise public awareness to the fact that we have resources they can freely use for research and educational use. We plan to conduct several events and socialization to introduce the visibility of GLAM project to local GLAM institutions. We also plan to conduct some training and meetups, focusing on Wikisource projects to Wikimedians who are interested in text proofreading. Also, we are about to introduce new programs, including Wikimedian in Residence and #1Lib1Ref.
Events and activities:
- GLAM Conference: An event to invite notable and productive GLAM institutions in the region to introduce GLAM initiative of Wikimedia Indonesia and provide mutual support to bring Indonesia heritage to the Internet.
- Retas Budaya: A cultural data hackathon and a collaboration project with Ministry of Education and Culture and Goethe-Institut Indonesien to promote open collections from the institutions.
- Wikimedian in Residence: An effort to grow the number of volunteers to be involved in GLAM activities throughout the region.
- #1Lib1Ref: An event, collaborating with librarians, to add references to Wikipedia articles.
Through APG19, our content creation and enrichment programs have shown a significant increase in the local content, primarily through online competitions and Wikidata training for communities and universities. For the Javanese OCR, the API and the annotation software has finished the deployment stage and is ready to be used. This year, we decided to continue these programs, with some adjustments needed to gather continuous contributors. Last year, we proposed to do a preliminary study about Kiwix and sadly we should discontinue the plan as we discuss it is not feasible to do and we set our prioritize for the community based-program.
For APG20, Wikimedia Indonesia will hold our online writing and photo competitions in the form of monthly challenges with various topics and languages, instead of one big general event like we did in the previous years. In Wikidata, in addition to our last year's program, we also plan to increase the number of Wikidata experts by holding a series of Wikidata events including training, meet-up and also doing explorations to collaborate with institutions and communities related to open data movement. For Javanese OCR, the collaboration project with Duta Wacana Christian University researchers will still be ongoing, with the focus shifted from detection to transliteration from Javanese characters into Latin characters.
- Events and activities:
- Writing competition: A 6-months monthly-challenge writing competition event in Indonesian Wikipedia, we prepare a different collectible souvenir each month, so the participants can challenge and embrace themselves into a joyful competition while contributing for free knowledge.
- WikiTeroka: A small competition for 5 new targeted communities, Acehnese, Balinese, Banjarnese, Buginese, and Gorontalo Wikipedian.
- Photo competition: A 11-moths monthly challenge photo competition, like the writing competition, the participants will receive a different collectible souvenir each month.
- Javanese OCR: A collaboration project to enable the Javanese character OCR into Wikisource and support the Javanese Wikisource community
- Wikidata training: An event for training the newcomers about open data and Wikidata
This section provides metrics that will be used to measure each program's achievements conducted by Wikimedia Indonesia under this grant
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- Active collaborations: the number of organisation or partners which actively collaborate at least 2 events during the grant period.
- Active community member: the number of active community member who spend their time to attend, organize or participate in the events, program, or activities, either in person or virtually with minimum 3 participation. This definition does not include social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
|Program||Shared metrics||Grantee-defined metrics|
|Participants||Newly registered||Content pages||Active collaborations||Active community member|
|Community Development and Support||520||60||800|
This section provides budget proposed by Wikimedia Indonesia to run the programs
Exchange rate 100 IDR for 0.0070 USD
|Line items||Total IDR||Total USD|
|Office and Administrative Support||693,800,000||48,566|
|Community Development and Support||1,017,150,000||71,201|
We have also included a table to show the split of salary expenses per program and operations in percentages:
|Office and administrative support||14%|
|Community Development and Support||20%|
Verification and signature
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.
Please sign here once this proposal form is complete, using four tildes. Biyanto Rebin (WMID) (talk) 11:12, 1 April 2020 (UTC)