Grants:Conference/IN-MR/Marathi Conference 2020
Purpose and vision
Please give a brief description of the event you are planning. What do you hope to accomplish during the event? Why is this event important for your community?
The Marathi Language ranks 10th in the list of most spoken languages in the world. Marathi has the third largest number of native speakers in India. Marathi Wikipedia launched on 1 May 2003 and it is growing continuously. An offline event like this will help community members to put together thoughts, ideas, and vision. This will help to come up with future strategies and planning for the development of Marathi Wikipedia and other concerned projects. We hope to gather wiki community for discussions related to improvement of Marathi wikimedia projects.
Please add key information to the table below. The dates, location and number of participants can be estimates and do not need to be finalized at this time.
|Proposed date(s)||17-20 January 2020|
|Number of participants||30|
|Event page||PLACEHOLDER TEXT|
|Primary contact person||Abhishek Suryawanshi|
Use the results from the community engagement survey to fill in the table below. Since you cannot cover all topics or meet all needs at one event, prioritisation is important. Please rank the priority of each topic, skill, project or problem as high, medium or low. Finally, please answer the questions below the table.
What are the top issues affecting your community that need to be discussed in person?
|No offline meet-ups
or activities. Community can benefit from
Are there important skills that many people in your community need to learn?
|First conference will focus on
introductions and getting to know each other.
Are there joint projects that need to be planned in person?
Are there other in-person activities are important for community building?
|Yes, we need to plan other in-person activities
for community building
- How many people did you send the survey to? How many people responded to the survey?
30 people responded to survey
- Did you see consensus around shared goals that this community wants to focus on in the next 12 months? What were the top 2 goals? Top goal was to start somewhere, there was no offline conference before so community is unable to project their exact expectations.
First conference will help us to set up tone and roadmap for future activities.
- Based on survey responses, what are the most important things your community should do at the conference to achieve those goals?
Introductions to each other, Sharing best practices, Planning outreach events and activities.
It is helpful to get an understanding of why this event is important to your community, and what experiences you have had in the past. Please answer the applicable questions below.
- 1. What inspired your community to begin planning this event?
- Marathi is 3rd most spoken language in India. Marathi Wiki community never met before under one roof. Marathi community members continue to participate in other language wiki meetups and conferences and we believe it is high time for Marathi community to have it's own Wiki conference.
- 2. How does this event relate to other activities that your community is working on?
- This is *1st* offline conference, we will talk about other activities at the conference.
- 3. Please list the priorities identified in the report from the last conference organized by this community. What progress have you made in those areas?
- This is our first conference.
- 4. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what key lessons were learned, and what would you like to improve on?
- Community is hosting Marathi conference for the first time.
Venue and Logistics
- 1. If the venue is more than 1 hour away from a major airport or transportation hub, how will participants travel to the event venue?
- Venue is accessible from nearby transportation hub.
- 2. Is the event venue within walking distance from the hotel? If not, how will people travel between the two locations?
- Venue and hotel are in the same building.
- 3. Is the event venue and hotel accessible for people with physical disabilities?
- 4. Do you anticipate any challenges with using the space for the event you are planning?
Friendly space policy
Please link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.
It is crucial that most participants have a minimum level of Wikimedia experience so that they can engage actively in workshops and discussions. Please answer all applicable questions below.
- 1. Please describe the target audience for this conference or event.
- Existing Marathi Wiki community members
- 2. If your conference has an outreach component, how will you ensure engagement with these participants after the conference, and what impact do you see them having on the projects?
- No outreach component
- 3. Are you thinking about inviting WMF staff to attend or participate in the event? If yes, please list individuals or teams who you may want to invite, or describe how you would like WMF staff to be involved in the event.
- Through Video call is possible.
- 1. How many scholarships would you like to offer?
- 2. What expenses will the scholarship cover?
- Travel+Accommodation+All Meals
- 3. How will scholarship recipients be selected?
- Marathi Wikimedians team elected by the community will review applications and award scholarships.
Resources and risks
Describe the resource potential for successfully executing this project and the key risks/threats.
- Organizing team
|WMF Liaison||Abhishek Suryawanshi|
|Other team members|
Examples of risks, along with how you would minimize or overcome them, are:
- First ever Marathi Wiki Conference.
Examples of how to minimize these risks include:
- We have experienced members in Marathi Wikimedians Usergroup who have organized other national level as well as international conferences (Wiki Conference India, Wiki Conference North America etc).
- We will work with WMF team to follow best practices.
- Event budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost in INR||Total cost in USD (approximate)||Notes|
|1||Conference Hall||Conference hall for two days + celebration space
50 people capacity
|1||75,000||1102||Discounted rate in same hotel for 'three days'|
|2||Accommodation||Twin sharing rooms for three day.||9000/room x 10 rooms x 3 days||9000||02,70,000||3970|
includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and free WiFi for all three days.
|3||Travel||Travel scholarships||20||6000||01,20,000||1764||For top contributors and interested participants across India|
|4||Video Documentation||Short interview videos of experienced Wikipedians + short documentary of entire conference||2||10,000||20000||294||Will be released on commons as well as on other social media platforms. These videos can be used in WMF
as well other post-conference blogs.
|5||Felicitation / Gifts||Memento for participants and active contributors recognizing their contribution.||20||500||10,000||147||Specially for Marathi admins and admins.|
|6||Print Material||Posters, stationary etc||variable||5,000||73|
|7||Outreach||Online as well as offline outreach||5||10000||50,000||735||Outreach press event, social media outreach, workshop etc,|
|8||Administrative costs||fiscal agent/partner||1||N/A||90850||1336||Accounting, reporting, documentation etc by fiscal sponsor|
- Total cost of event
- Total amount requested from the Conference and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this event, and amounts funded
- Local government will offer in-kind support for pre conference activities.
- Please confirm that you are aware that changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Conference Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.