Grants:Conference/Jaqen/Italian WikiCon 2017/old
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Explain the problem that you are trying to solve with this project or the opportunity you’re taking advantage of. What is the issue you want to address? Be brief, you can update and add to this later.
While there have been a Wikimedia Conference in Milan in 2013 and Wikimania in Esino Lario in 2016, there has never been a “WikiConference” in Italy. From an offline point of view the community seems to be missing. At Wikimania Esino Lario there were just 30-35 Italian very active editors (Italian people were more!). Wikimedia Italia organizes many events, but most of them are -naturally- conceived especially for members of the association.
More in details, according to Italian Wikipedia meetups page (it:Wikipedia:Raduni) in 2016 as of July 28th excluding the Wikipedia 15 celebrations there haven't been many meetups (15 ca) and most of them where organized by Wikimedia Italia or the Wikimania team, and not by the community. Moreover, excluding Wikimania, none of them was really a national one.
What is your solution?
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. You can update and add to this later.
We want to organize an event in Spring 2017, lasting three days from Friday to Sunday, gathering together editors of Italian language (but also regional languages!) Wikimedia projects from Italy, Switzerland, etc. obviously without excluding others who might be interested! We would also call some experts on topics on which Wikipedians may need an in-depth analysis (e.g. copyright and defamation law). We would also organize an edit-a-thon during the event. Expenses should be fully funded. We are looking for an accommodation offering also meeting places, somewhere with a railway station.
This is the first event of its kind in Italy, but we are looking at similar successful experiences in other countries!
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant.
Exchanging best practices and experiences, and stimulating community involvement.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing? What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- We will find a suitable location in Trento
- We will find suitable dates, in March 2017
- We will inform the community and make a call for proposals
- We will choose among the proposals and draft a program
- We will take care of travel expenses
We will have two parallel tracks (conferences and workshops) plus a 3 days long edit-a-thon. There will be approximately 16 hours of conferences and 16 hours of workshops. One of the venue will also host the Wiki Loves Monuments Italia exhibition.
The program will be adjusted according to the demands and proposals of interested users, but the following topics could be tackled:
- Talks and workshops about Wikipedia
- Talks and workshops about other Wikimedia projects and OSM
- Talks and workshops about tools, templates, modules and LUA and other technical issues
- Talks and workshops about law: copyright and creative Commons, privacy and Italian legislation (i.e. freedom of panorama and Codice Urbani). Simone Aliprandi (lawyer, expert in copyright and ICT law) and Federico Morando (economist, Lead Creative Commons Italia) gave us their availability
- Talks and workshops about local languages and translations
- Talks about gender gap
- Talks about relations between Wikimedia and Wikipedia (and other projects) community
- Wikidata. Marco Fossati gave us his availability
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
|#||Description||Unit||Quantity||Cost per unit||Total cost||Notes|
|1. Travel||6,000.00 EUR
|1.1||Transports||per participant||40||150.00 EUR
|2. Accommodation||6,695.00 EUR
|2.1||Hotel accommodation for participants||day x participant||3 x 40||50.00 EUR
|2.3||Hotel accommodation for organizers||day x organizer||5 x 2||50.00 EUR
|2.3||Tourist tax for participants||night x participant||3 x 40||1.50 EUR
|2.3||Tourist tax for organizers||night x organizer||5 x 2||1.50 EUR
|3. Venue and meals||4,560.00 EUR
|The Autonomous Province of Trento has granted us the possibility to use Palazzo delle Albere|
|3.2.1||Lunch||day x participant||3 x 40||15.00 EUR
|3.2.2||Dinner||day x participant||3 x 40||15.00 EUR
|3.3||Coffe breaks||break x day x participant||2 x 3 x 40||4.00 EUR
|Morning and afternoon|
|4. Materials||??? EUR
|4.1||Printed materials||90.00 EUR
|100 leaflets and 100 posters|
|40 printed cotton T-shirts|
|4.5||Badge holders||39.00 EUR
|75 badge holders|
|Paper, post it, binder, adhesive tape, plastic sleeves, pens|
|5. Website||50.00 EUR
|Hosting and domain, for a website (possibly with its own wiki) and a mailing list|
|6. Insurance||390.00 EUR
|7. Project management||2,000.00 EUR
|8. Contigency||2,000.00 EUR
How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve at various points during your project? Community input and participation helps make projects successful.
- We will inform the Italian-language community through projects “bars” (the Italian version of the Village pump), mailing lists and - if we will have the consensus to - sitenotice
- We will ask the community to make proposals
- And obviously we will ask the community to come and participate
What do you expect will happen to your project after the grant ends? How might the project be continued or grown in new ways afterwards?
On a national level, WikiConference IT may be repeated in 2018 and become a yearly meeting in other cities in Italy or Ticino and Grisons, Switzerland.
On a local level, we are are already organizing (smaller) wiki events in Trentino in collaboration with local institutions (e.g. edit-a-thon at Giardino Botanico Alpino Viote, and the WikiCon will help us to get in touch with more and more people, to organize more events and have more people from the general public partecipating.
Measures of success
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include specific, measurable targets here.
|Calculating global metrics||Description||Expected results|
|1. Number of active editors involved||Existing active editors (5+ edits per month) involved at any capacity (planning, executing, participating) during the project duration||We expect to involve at least 35 active editors (according to the definition 5+ edits per month) in the executing and participating. Active editors are the specific target of the project.|
|2. Number of individuals involved||All people participating in the project (organizers, users, attendees, etc.)||Besides the 35 active editors we would invite some experts. Other attendees will participate to the event for for an expected total of 100 people.|
|3. Number of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||# of images uploaded to Commons and added to Wikipedia articles or other Wikiproject pages||During the conference we will organize an edit-a-thon by involving a local institution. We expect to collect images with authorization from the institution involved (around NUMERO). We expect to to trigger NUMERO images on LOCATION.|
|4. Number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||By project (Wikipedia, Wikisource, etc.) the # of articles that were created or improved as a result of the program efforts||We focus on Wikipedia in Italian and in local languages (???). We estimate the number of articles improved about 35-40, supposing that every participant would improve an article. More specifically the articles we will target are: ???|
|Learning question: Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?|
Please use this section to tell us more about who is working on this project. For each member of the team, please describe any project-related skills, experience, or other background you have that might help contribute to making this idea a success.
- General coordinator User:Jaqen: Wikipedian since 2006, sysop on Italian Wikipedia since 2007 and Wikimedia Commons since 2013. Recently have been WIR at MUSE - Science Museum in Trento (March-April 2016), chair photographer at Wikimania 2016 in Esino Lario.
- Programme coordinator User:Yiyi: Wikipedian since January 2007, sysop on Italian Wikipedia since 2013. Active contributor on Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, Wikivoyage and OpenStreetMap. Involved in supporting the organization of Wiki Loves Monuments Italia since 2012 and member of Wikimania Esino Lario team since 2014. Coordinator for Lombardy region for Wikimedia Italia and active in projects with schools and libraries.
- User:CristianNX: Wikipedian since July 2008. National coordinator of Wiki Loves Monuments Italia ("official" account) since 2015 and coordinator for Trentino-South Tyrol region for Wikimedia Italia. Active in projects with schools and libraries.
- Graphic designer User:Syrio: Wikipedian since 2006, sysop on Italian Wikipedia since 2013, also occasionally active on Commons; I'll handle the graphic material for the event.
- User:AlessioMela: Wikipedian since 2012, sysop on Italian Wikipedia and author of some tools. I'll handle the technical part, like the website and the tech conferences.
- User:Archeologo: Wikipedian since 2005, occasionally WIR, I can help on several wiki projects. Great idea!
- User:EusebiaP: Wikipedian since 2014, active contributor on Wikisource since 2013; librarian and coordinator for Wikimedia Italia of projects with libraries for Trentino-Alto Adige region.
- User:Ruthven: Wikipedian since 2004, sysop on Italian Wikipedia. Active contributor on Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, Italian Wikisource, Wikispecies.
- Advisor I am available to help the project as an advisor. CristianCantoro (talk) 11:28, 26 July 2016 (UTC)
- User:MLWatts: Wikipedian since 2010, I was co-coordinator of the program and chair of the sessions for Wikimania 2016 in Esino Lario. I'm going to help to organise this event as a program committee member.
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Mailing list of Wikimedia Italia (private), 17 July 2016
- Mailing list of Italian Wikipedia's admins (private), 17 July 2016
- Italian Wikipedia village pump: it:Wikipedia:Bar/Discussioni/WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Wikivoyage: it:voy:Wikivoyage:Lounge#WikiCon_IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Village pump on Wikimedia Commons: commons:Commons:Bar italiano#WikiCon_IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Village pump on Wikidata: d:Wikidata:Bar#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Wiktionary village pump: it:wikt:Wikizionario:Bar#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Wikibooks village pump: it:b:Wikibooks:Bar#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Wikiquote village pump: it:q:Wikiquote:Bar#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Wikisource village pump: it:s:Wikisource:Bar#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Wikinews village pump: it:n:Wikinotizie:Bar/WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Italian Wikiversity village pump: it:v:Wikiversità:Bar#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Neapolitan Wikipedia village pump: nap:Wikipedia:Cìrculo#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Friulian Wikipedia village pump: fur:Vichipedie:Ostarie#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Lombard Wikipedia village pump: lmo:Wikipedia:Grott#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Venetian Wikipedia village pump: vec:Wikipedia:Ciàcołe#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Sicilian Wikipedia village pump: scn:Wikipedia:Circulu#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Sardinian Wikipedia village pump: sc:Wikipedia:Tzilleri#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Emilian-Romagnol Wikipedia village pump: eml:Wikipedia:Bar#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Ligurian Wikipedia village pump: lij:Wikipedia:Pòrtego da comûnitæ#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
- Latin Wikipedia village pump: la:Vicipaedia:Taberna#WikiCon IT (20 July 2016)
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Really need to connect local and online community in Italy. --AlessioMela (talk) 10:38, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
- I hoped for something like that to come, but I am surprised WMI didn't show any strong intrest before now. If you write that in Esino "were just 30-35 Italian(s)", I think that planning an event in the same regional area to "engage at least 35-40 active users" is not a great target. This number should be higher and the location near a railway station should make possible a larger amount of partcipants, IMHO. I would try to merge wth some other WMI gatherings (yearly assembly). Personally, I would have encouraged a conference specific for platforms in local language, so I hope enough time will be focused on that.--Alexmar983 (talk) 11:25, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
- A great idea to approach and interact with Italian audience about wiki projects! Saverio G. Malatesta (talk) 13:38, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
- We absolutely need it! Connecting different communities involved in wiki projects it's something we haven't tried to do enough so far. --Virginia Gentilini (talk)
- There is a lot of dynamism in many local Wiki communities in Italy; such an event would greatly help to bind them, and create personal connections, and assess common objectives. (…and Trentino is amazing in summer) Ruthven (talk) 20:33, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
- If I can, surely I will participate. It's a very nice idea, and it would be my first RL participation after 7 years (O.M.G.) of active editing! --Horcrux92 (talk) 21:04, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
- It would be a great opportunity for community to meet and talk and share experiences and work together for new goals --EusebiaP (talk) 06:14, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
- Great idea, and a great opportunity for the community to interact "live" and contribute more efficiently to the development of the project. Superchilum(talk to me!) 12:32, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
- I would love to participate, there are some great contributors that I would like to meet for advice. --MNepi (talk) 09:58, 19 July 2016 (UTC)
- Great idea! Maybe I'll partecipate. --Accurimbono (talk) 08:01, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
- Good idea, a great occasion for Italian Wikipedia and, mostly, for Regional Wikipedias, who can search for other Wikipedians. Also, Trento is, in the linguistical POV, a very good city, because in Trentino are spoken dialect of Lombard and Venetian languages, and Dolomitic ladin, who has a Wikipedia in incubator. Maybe I'll partecipate! --Sciking (talk) 14:46, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
- Very good idea, connection is important, aiming at development of common resources with wikipedia in regional languages.--Nickanc (talk) 20:50, 27 July 2016 (UTC)
- The members of the team of WikiConference IT involved in Wikimania Esino Lario have been great! Yiyi has been fantastic throughout the entire event: committed, enthusiast, always kind and very active and generous on all tasks. Jaqen is a very active member of Wikimedia but he is also an excellent photographer: his capacity of representing Wikimania (Esino but also may others) has really produced a beautiful documentation which still keeps alive events (he is the author of the Wikimania Esino Lario group photo). I am sure the team will do a fantastic job with this conference. We will be pleased to support the event with the resources of Esino Lario (we should be able to borrow you two projectors if needed and we have a really great amount of cables and extensions :) --iopensa (talk) 10:37, 29 July 2016 (UTC)
- So far, I have managed to meet Italian Wikimedians in scattered places. A snapshot of the whole national community (by Jaqen, of course) would be awesome. Hjfocs (talk) 17:24, 29 July 2016 (UTC)
- This is a great initiative, and something that is needed to create a strong Italian community. Epantaleo (talk) 17:38, 1 March 2017 (UTC)