Grants:IEG/Improve 'Upload to Commons' Android App/Renewal/Timeline
Timeline for Improve 'Upload to Commons' Android App
|Fix bugs/crashes/memory leaks, implement 2FA login, implement dummy uploads, overhaul Nearby Places UI||5 Feb 2018|
|Implement direct uploads from Nearby Places, display user's real-time position on map, display Commons user talk messages||19 March 2018|
|Implement Wikidata integration, showcase featured images, overhaul main user interface, allow multiple uploads from within the app, prevent overwrites||7 May 2018|
Please prepare a brief project update each month, in a format of your choice, to share progress and learnings with the community along the way. Submit the link below as you complete each update.
- Discussed and wrote conceptual design documents for all planned new features, drafted mock-ups for new UI features
- Fixed multiple issues with Nearby Places list/map
- Implemented dummy uploads for easier testing
- Worked on bugs, crashes, battery issues and memory leaks
- Discovered a new, very prevalent crash with Dagger library usage in the latest release and worked to debug and fix it
- Implemented new UI for Nearby Places
- Added tooltips for title and description fields in upload screen, as well as explicit copyright declaration and a link to Commons policies
- Blog post: https://cookiesandcodeblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/24/commons-app-update-version-2-6/
- Finally managed to successfully fix Dagger crash after several failed attempts
- Implemented and tested 2FA logins on production server
- Implemented direct uploads from Nearby Places map and list
- Included our project in the current GSoC and Outreachy round
- Worked on category suggestions for images uploaded via Nearby Places
- Worked on displaying Commons user talk notifications in app
- Worked on displaying real-time user position in Nearby Places map
- Completed development of user talk notifications, real-time user position in Nearby Places map, and category suggestions for images uploaded via Nearby Places.
- Released v2.7.0 to beta with all the new features
- Collected bug reports and crash reports for the new release from users, worked on fixing them
- Blog post: https://cookiesandcodeblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/commons-app-version-2-7-beta-release/
- Released v2.7.1 to beta with hotfixes for the new bugs and crashes
- Developed "view featured images" feature
- Developed first-run tutorial for Nearby Places
- Released version 2.7 to production (all users)
- Working on Wikidata p18 edits and logging, upload class refactor, and main screen UI overhaul
- Completed p18 edits and logging, and refactoring the upload class
- Fixing bugs and crashes prior to v2.8 release
- Still unsuccessfully trying to fix severe issues that some users are having with failed uploads and upload-related crashes. v2.8 has been postponed while we try and work these out.
- Found a solution for failed uploads!
- v2.8 released, we are now working on fixing an intermittent bug with Wikidata p18 edits.
- Blog post: https://cookiesandcodeblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/10/commons-app-version-2-8-beta/
- Released v2.8.3 to production on the Play Store with all the necessary bug fixes.
- Fixed constant crashes experienced by Oreo users while uploading, and released v2.8.4 with fix.
- Released v2.8.5 to fix image mimeType issues, and v2.8.6 with fixes for the "Send log file" feature to assist in debugging other issues
- Development of main UI overhaul and multiple uploads is almost completed, with a few minor bugs remaining. These features should be ready for the v2.9 release shortly
- Released v2.9.0 for beta testing on the Play Store
- Blog post: https://cookiesandcodeblog.wordpress.com/2018/11/28/version-2-9-beta/
- Completing upload tests (final IEG task)
- Upload tests completed
- Working on final bugfixes so that v2.9 can be released to production
- Christmas/New Year holidays
- Project maintainer traveling for 2 weeks in January
- Due to some important changes introduced in v2.10 (most notably, the ability for alpha testers to help us with testing development versions), we have decided to release v2.10 as the final version instead of continuing to work on v2.9.x. v2.10.0 is currently available in beta and we are working on hotfixes for v2.10.1.
- v2.10.2 has passed beta testing. We have released it to production on the Play Store, and are monitoring crash reports to see if there is a need for a v2.10.3 hotfix. If there is, we will work on releasing v2.10.3, otherwise we can start collecting metrics and writing the final report.
- A few prominent crashes were discovered in production, so we are now working on v2.10.3.
- v2.10.3 is awaiting the final hotfix. I (project maintainer) will be traveling for 3+ weeks soon, but we should hopefully be able to get it out before I leave. I will commence writing the final report after I return.
- As the final major hotfix requires a large upload refactor (which is one of the items scheduled in our new PG), a decision was made to meld this with 2.11 instead of releasing an incomplete 2.10.3. 2.11 will contain the hotfixes for 2.10 in addition to other changes scheduled for the new PG, and will therefore be both the final release for this IEG as well as the first release for the new PG.
- Work has begun on the final report
- Pre-release testing completed for v2.11. Will release as soon as a few bugs are fixed.
- Final report halfway done
- v2.11 released to beta
- Experiencing an issue with the externally-maintained tool used to collect some of our metrics of success. Work is in progress to fix it.
- v2.11 released to all users
- Fixed issue with statistics tool
- The only thing now remaining is to finish the final report, which is mostly completed
- Bit of an issue with collection of global metrics. Should hopefully have a query that fixes it soon.
New end date
10 June 2018
We spent much more time than expected fixing bugs and crashes (some caused by the new features that we developed, some caused by volunteer contributions).
New end date
7 August 2018
Again spent more time than expected fixing issues that cropped up. However, we only have a few more grant tasks awaiting completion, so should be done by August.
New end date
30 September 2018
Sorry, it seems like we are still plagued with authentication issues. :( Failed uploads have been fixed, but now Wikidata p18 edits are sporadically affected.
New end date
30 Oct 2018
We have solved all major outstanding issues experienced by users in v2.8, so we can finally resume working on new features for v2.9, which should be the last release required for this IEG.
New end date
15 Dec 2018
v2.9, our final release for this grant, is almost out, and upload tests will be the only task remaining after that. We should be able to wrap up our grant at the end of Nov, but the final report may take til mid Dec to complete due to clashes with the next PG proposal deadline (we must complete our proposal by 30 Nov, so that will have to take precedence).
@Misaochan: This request has been (retroactively) approved, and thanks for the update on your progress. The final report due date is now set for 19 January 2019. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 01:37, 18 December 2018 (UTC)
New end date
- There is unfortunately still one severe bug blocking release to production, that we are having trouble resolving
- In my previous estimate, I forgot to account for the Christmas/New Year holiday period for everyone, and that I am traveling in January with no access to my workstation and unstable internet.
- I am the only core developer with release permissions for the Commons app on WMF's Play Store account, so even though the bug may be fixed by the other devs while I am away, the release will have to wait until I am back in late January. Sorry about that!