Grants:IdeaLab/Each One Teach One
Who are the people you want to introduce Wikipedia to?
Try to be as specific as possible about this group.
Those who can read and write
- English language
- Indic languages ((initial focus on Hindi and Punjabi)
In what languages do they search for information, online or otherwise?
online as well otherwise
- English language
- Indic languages
In what ways does this group communicate with each other?
This can include services and apps in social media, mailing lists, physical spaces like conferences or lectures, or at specific institutions like at a library.
One to one in-person,Social media ,conferences etc.
What are some reasons this group would use Wikipedia? How would they benefit from it, or what would they find useful?
Think about what they would be interested in reading and learning about; does Wikipedia provide better access to information this group cares about?
Most people are interested to know basic information about their native village,city,country and local as well global subjects and objects.But many don't know that such information is available on Wikipedia in more reliable and standardized pattern.If at least one such person is made aware by each of the experienced Wikipedians then this process will not only add new users but new editors also to Wikipedia.
What language Wikipedia projects will you promote to new readers?
- Indic languages with initial focus on Hindi and Punjabi
How will you communicate with new readers? Will you be communicating with them online, in-person, or both?
Online and in-person both
Describe your idea to engage new readers. How might it be implemented? What will you tell people about Wikipedia?
Think about the steps that might involved to make this idea happen, and what you might teach people about your experience or others' experiences using Wikipedia.
Each experienced Wikipedian will teach one new person to know how to access and create content on Wikipedia.People who are not presently using Wikipedia will be told that it is an online free knowledge global movement created by the people ,used by the people and managed by the people.Impartiality and neutrality aspects in all kind of its information will also be intimated to them.They will also be informed how to access and edit information on it.They will also be told that Wikipedia is one of the top ranking websites used by people globally and their contribution will also be recognised globally if they participate in it.It will also be intimated that it is not merely an online encyclopedia rather it is much more than it which can make an effective and positive intervention in human life of people beyond all borders and boundaries ,colours and creeds.They will be told about all other sister projects of the WMF.
If you’re not certain about how to respond to this question when starting your idea, you do not need to answer it right now. Campaign participants and Wikimedia Foundation staff can help you consider some options.
If atleast one fourth of the experienced wikipedians of Hindi and Punjabi are successful in bringing similar number of new readers /editors to their respective Wikipedias.
Do you think you can implement this idea? What support do you need?
Do you need people with specific skills or resources to complete this idea? Are there any financial needs for this project? Do you need advising from Wikimedia Foundation staff?
May require financial support and rest of the things may be managed by local community.
About the idea creator
I am a multilingual editor with User name:Harvinder Chandigarh.My native language is Punjabi .I used to contribute on Punjabi ,Hindi ,English ,Hindi and Commons.I try to enhance outreach of Wikipedia in different ways especially in so far neglected areas.In addition to online activities I used to write articles in vernacular newspapers to create awareness about Wikipedia among readers of regional languages.
- Volunteer I can teach one :) Shypoetess (talk) 08:57, 27 January 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer I can try Capankajsmilyo (talk) 16:17, 28 January 2018 (UTC)
- Great Idea Raju Jangid (talk) 12:37, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- This idea can help Wikipedia reach out to a huge 'untouched' group of people, residing in rural India. ArmouredCyborg (talk) 15:37, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Great idea... I support it & hope to & contribute to it.. Yohannvt (talk) 16:18, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Great idea! Sadads (talk) 18:04, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Should be Implemented. Abhinav619 (talk) 06:36, 24 January 2018 (UTC)
- Great idea!...strong support, and would like to contribute, especially for Hindi Wikipedia Innocentbunny (talk) 18:29, 25 January 2018 (UTC)
- It is a great initiative as those who don't have time to get involve in large projects can also contribute. This approach is more doable for them. Shypoetess (talk) 08:56, 27 January 2018 (UTC)
- Nice idea Capankajsmilyo (talk) 04:30, 28 January 2018 (UTC)
- Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 12:26, 30 January 2018 (UTC)
- --J. Ansari Talk 04:14, 4 May 2018 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.
No funding needed?
Does your idea not require funding, but you're not sure about what to do next? Not sure how to start a proposal on your local project that needs consensus? Contact Chris Schilling on-wiki at I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) or via e-mail at cschillingwikimedia.org for help!