Grants:IdeaLab/Gender Gap Advocacy Task Force
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Often when creating articles in an effort to close the gender gap for the representation of women - particularly biographical articles - they will be quickly flagged for deletion under notability requirements. Under wiki guidelines, these articles may be considered to remain when they meet comparable notability of similar autobiographical articles and where retention would work towards close the gender gap. However that argument fails to win traction in the voting process and articles are deleted or drafted anyway, as the few female editors advocating are downed out because of the the gender gap in editors.
What is your solution?
I propose that there should be a a recognized gender gap advocacy party that could be called in to mediate in this situation (legitimately, and not seen as meatpuppeting), and that party should have the power to put a save on articles that meet a comparable bar and work towards closing the gender gap. Without this kind of systemic reinforcement, the gender gap in editing forces will just continue to further extend the gender gap in representation and turn female editors away in frustration.
- I like this idea. Can you please add links to the relevant policies so we have more background information? Skud (WMF) (talk) 01:23, 18 March 2015 (UTC)
- This needs to be added to province of existing groups and task forces, mostly in making it quite clear they should be allowed to organize and point out such behavior without being constantly disrupted by males who don't want to change the status quo. Carolmooredc (talk) 15:53, 28 March 2015 (UTC)
- +1 notability seems to be the enemy of some articles about women. A team that could argue for the notability of certain subjects within reason and help reduce systematic bias in the RFD process would be great. La salonniere (talk) 00:30, 31 March 2015 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Do you want to submit your idea for funding from the Wikimedia Foundation?
- IdeaLab/Ideas/Project manager/Wanted
- IdeaLab/Ideas/Community organizer/Wanted
- IdeaLab/Ideas/Online community organizing
- IdeaLab/Ideas/Gender gap