Grants:IdeaLab/Gender Gap Visualizer
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Create a visual tool to highlight content about remarkable women missing translations across Wikipedias, by using Wikipedia's and Wikidata's article APIs.
• Alleycat80this project needs...
created on18:45, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
I'm assuming that content about remarkable women is missing from wikipedias, because of the gender gap. Targeting women-editor communities to close this gap can be done efficiently if the data missing is better highlighted...
What is your solution?
Use Wikipedia's and Wikidata's article APIs, to find and visualize articles that are about "important" women (ranking could be: already in at least 3 language Wikipedias, but are missing from others). The visualization will encourage communities to translate the missing articles into more Wikipedias...
- Create a simple visualization to highlight content about prominent women
- Encourage translation of missing articles into more Wikipedias from the visualization
- Hmlarson (talk) 00:04, 7 March 2015 (UTC)
- The idea is certainly. I think that somebody with relevant knowledge can do it in a couple of days, but I don't have all the relevant knowledge, so maybe it's more complicated and I'm exaggerating. Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 11:51, 1 April 2015 (UTC)
- I entirely agree. Easily visualising the problem is key to recognising it and monitoring if there is any change over time. The recent research article on ArXiv really aided my understanding. Evolution and evolvability (talk) 01:23, 10 November 2015 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Do you want to submit your idea for funding from the Wikimedia Foundation?