Grants:IdeaLab/New normal: Strengthening remote learning through Wikimedia-based projects/Report/Evaluation Report
As part of an online promotion to emphasize the different Wikimedia-based projects as a free resources for remote learning in the Philippines, this rapid grant project created the social learning group EduWiki Community Philippines. The primary purpose of this group is to provide an avenue for communicating the series of webinars that will be conducted during the entire program. The main objective of this project is to equip teachers with free online teaching and learning resources through the use of Wikimedia-based projects. To give emphasis on the use of the Philippine language Wikipedia such as Bikol Sentral, Cebuano and Tagalog Wikipedia and provide an overview of other useful Wikimedia projects.
Part of the metrics to measure the success of this project is a compilation of responses and recommendations of teachers from the evaluation conducted during the entire project.
For this project, the organizer used Google Forms to gather data on the following:
- 1. Profile of the participants
- 2. Background of using Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Projects
- 3. Scope of knowledge of the speakers present during the trainings
- 4. Motivation in being involve in this project
- Total no. of participants reached by this project: 197
- Total no. of respondents: 33
Gender Gender Respondents Percentage Female 17 51.52% Male 12 36.36% Prefer not to say 4 12.12% Profession Profession Respondents Percentage Teacher 22 66.67% Student Teacher 11 33.33%
Use of Wikipedia
1. Have you attended similar training, that tackles Wikipedia and what is Wikipedia, before?
Responses Percentage Yes 10 30.30% No 23 69.70%
2. Are you already browsing or using Wikipedia as an online resource before this event?
Results Percentage Yes 28 84.84% No 3 9.09% I can't remember 2 6.06%
3. On the scale of 1-5, how familiar are you now on editing articles on Wikipedia?
Scale Results Percentage 5 3 9.09% 4 10 30.30% 3 11 33.33% 2 4 12.12% 1 5 15.15%
About the training
1. What motivated you to attend to this training?
Motivation Responses Percentage Rank Gain more knowledge about Wikipedia and its sister projects 29 87.87% 1st Certificate 3 9.09% Freebies 1 3.03% New experience 14 42.42% 2nd Spirit of volunteerism 9 27.27% 3rd Friend's invitation 5 15.15%
2. Are the speakers familiar of the subject matter they are discussing?
Responses Percentage Yes 24 72.72% No 0 0 Maybe 7 21.21% Don't want to answer 2 6.06%
3. Which part of the program is your most favorite? Why?
Responses Responses When we translate the article from one language to another Translating wiki articles - It's both challenging and fun at the same time! the lecture, i have learned a lot of new things about wikipedia Editing how to start editing and how to do it properly Editing Time, because I feel so excited to try the challenge. Medyo nabitin pa nga sa pag eedit, pero it was great na makatry and makashare ng knowledge. When we already translating our assigned article because my mind was challenge when i am able to use my kept knowledge about bicol words The content translation tool. Very user-friendly. You can compare your translation with the original while editing. the introductory part cause it gives me more info about wikipedia Translating an article because its an achievement I can be proud of. Translation of articles Log in in wikipedia The part in which you can be a contributor Converting some articles into Bicol version The hands-on activity because you can explore the site. Editing of the content When the speaker explain and introduce how to use wikipedia The fact that wikipedia can be a very valuable tool in the classroom Wiki-based editing system Giving of prizes
- Note: Editing, the content translation tool and logging in to Wikipedia were the most mention as their favorite part of the training.
4. Which part of the program is your least favorite? Why?
Responses Responses I don't remember :) None when discussing the rules because it takes too long to waste time none, the event is good and informative Inconsistent translation of the sections of an article (e.g. References translated as both "Mga toltolan" and "Referensiya") around bikol Wikipedia. I would prefer the latter. I haven't heard of the word "toltolan", really. Minor stuff but still something that causes confusion. Difficulty in translating some words in bicol central because I sometimes can't think of the most appropriate term to use. No application was done due to poor internet connection. No comment Not much of the program, but the internet connectivity The words used in the wiki. I find it difficult to follow.
- Note: Most of the participants responded None. However there are several responses that points to poor Internet Connectivity.
5. Which of the following items need more improvement?
Results Percentage Rank Time Schedule 5 15.15% 3rd Resource Speaker 1 3.03% Equipment 9 27.27% 2nd Training Materials 13 39.39% 1st Internet 3 9.09% None 9 27.27% 2nd
6. Overall, how will you rate the entire program?
Scale Results Percentage 5 14 42.42% 4 15 45.45% 3 4 12.12% 2 0 1 0
1. Has this event motivated you to be part of the Wikimedia projects?
Responses Percentage Yes 31 93.93% No 0 0 Don't want to answer 2 6.06%
2. Will you recommend using Wikipedia to others?
Results Percentage Yes 31 93.93% No 0 0 Maybe 1 3.03% Don't want to answer 1 3.03%
3. Will you invite others to attend similar training that promote the use of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects?
Results Percentage Yes 30 90.90% No 0 0 Maybe 2 6.06% Don't want to answer 1 3.03%
4. What other topics would you want to be covered the next time you attended Wikipedia edit-a-thon and training?
Responses Responses On how can wikipedia can work in contributing other needed information and how it can be use by those individuals Other wiki features that can be used for classroom instruction How to edit wiktionary. editing and more discussion editing photos with meaning Philippine Farmers, Philippine Politics, Wonderful Places in the Philippines About more wikipedia and on how it can be acess by everyone Other contributions a volunteer can offer, aside from editing articles. Topics involving school subjects. Explore more on how to use wikipedia Hands-on activities will be terrific! Translating Content to Filipino mapehpedia all about mapeh Using Wikipedia in the English classroom How to find a reliable source to be used in Wikipedia The use of Wiki dictionary Workshop: several activities about the same topic
There is an equal distribution of participants in terms of gender orientation. This project aimed to include anyone interested about Wikipedia. However, since this project only focuses on the education sector, participants are limited among teachers and student teachers, and other personnel from private and public high schools in the Philippines.
Use of Wikipedia
Majority of the participants of this project browse and access Wikipedia before, but more than half of the respondents had never been into a similar training that discusses Wikipedia or its sister projects. On the scale of 1-5, participants rated themselves as Average with regards to their skills on editing Wikipedia articles.
To gain more knowledge about Wikipedia, create new experience and the spirit of volunteerism are the three main motivations of the participants in joining this project. Results also show that speakers for the training are familiar with the topics they rea discussing. However, there is also a significant number of respondents that rated otherwise. Editing, the content translation tool and logging in to Wikipedia are the most mention as their favorite part of the training. While most of the participants responded None, to their least favorite part of the program, there are several responses that points to poor Internet Connectivity.
The three major components of this project that needs improvement are training materials, equipment and time schedule. Since this project is more focused on delivering the target number of online training, the proponent failed to recognize the need for the training materials for the participants. Poor equipment might also mean poor Internet connectivity, and/or the use of free software to conduct the livestreaming sessions. Time scheduling also failed to achieve some consistency because of overlapping activities on the part of the proponent and other volunteers.
Overall, the programs are rated between Very Satisfactory and Excellent.
This project has motivated most of the participants to be part of the Wikimedia projects. They also share their willingness to recommend using Wikipedia to their colleagues and to attend to similar trainings that promote the use of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
The following reflections and conclusions are drawn from the data gathered and observations during the entire program:
- Thirty-three out of 197 participants are a small number of sample to create a major and final conclusions, however, it can be used as a data to improve more projects in the future.
- This campaign can be extended to the different sectors of the community, to also benefit from using Wikipedia as an open education resource.
- Most of the communities here in the Philippines are using Wikipedia, but are not aware about the Wikimedia Movement and the culture of open knowledge. A great number of communities, in other parts of the country are still unaware about Wikipedia and the community behind it.
- There are new volunteers with average skills on editing Wikipedia articles. We need to find ways on how cultivate new volunteers. More like encouraging them to contribute, not requiring them.
- Workshops are very important for the sustainability of projects like these. However, online workshops are not as effective as face-to-face workshops because of distractions encountered in the online environment.
- An open channel of support between experienced Wikimedians and new editors should be available and accessible to provide immediate support in making small contributions.