Grants:IdeaLab/Women showing up with hard skills
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Much has been written about Wikipedia's Gender Gap, with the majority of the discourse focusing on the written representation of women and promoting editing by women. The focus of this proposed project is to tackle the visual gender gap. The lack of female representation within stock photographs in general has been highlighted in the past, and this project would aim to provide a female positive representation in all forms of work, craft, and production. In it's most basic form, finding pictures or videos to illustrate a Wikipedia articles is difficult, and it's hard to find women* exemplars. An element of this proposal is to promote better usage of the Commons Category:Women at work, so as to help with media discovery. Currently there are 621 images in the Women at Work category, with 1,473 images in the equivalent Men at Work. This project aims to invite women* to both produce and be featured in photographs, video and other media, as well as events facilitated or aided by Wikimedia and Wikipedia to increase womens* visability.
What is your solution?
We propose to work with women*, craftspeople, artists, producers and interested persons/parties to produce content, focussing on closing the visual gender gap. The proposal is to develop a toolkit and event guide for use by Wikimedia Chapters and User groups, as well as other interested parties, so as to enable them to work on this area of content generation.
Some of the simple work would be to find poorly categorised images on Commons to make them easier to find, and also to identify gaps in female representation.
- Amount of videos ... inbetween ... years.
- Amount of pictures ... inbetween ... years.
- Awareness of teachers and professors to lead girls and women* with their skills, expertise and knowledge into the the enzyklopedia.
- Participation in a project in which women, men and generderqueer people can participate in finding solution strategies actively to close the visual gender gap - Beginners welcome!
- Volunteer I have experience in video production. Spinster (talk) 18:12, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
- Volunteer I was there when we set up this initial idea, I'm happy to add to the writing up/further planning - looking forward to seeing how this develops. Smirkybec (talk) 19:12, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
- Designer design project steps and find communities for each step Medea7 (talk) 13:02, 19 July 2015 (UTC)
- Volunteer Help get the images or video into articles, plus help recruit people to upload images/video. Advice about project management. Sydney Poore/FloNight (talk) 19:06, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- I think you could do a lot with this idea - would be excited to collaborate and support! Siko (talk) 18:00, 31 October 2016 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Do you want to submit your idea for funding from the Wikimedia Foundation?