Grants:IdeaLab/way of reporting harassment from an admin
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
look, i have experienced harrasment over the last few weeks from someone over on the tamil wiki named NAN,
Completely at random this man decided to take it upon himself to leave a huge wall of welcome text on my talk page their ...i now understand that i have never been their before, never contributed their and do not even have a user page their
i politely explained that i not only didnt speak tamil and didnt want my page to be edited any more as i have no interest in editing their, and as is my custom for unimportant messages (and sort of my right to do so) removed the message
this request fell on deaf ears (he reverted my deleting of his message SEVERAL times) so i called him a moron, and this was met with not only a INSTANT 3 year ban, but this was then updated 2 MINUTES LATER to be indefinite
no asking in ENGLISH why i felt this way
no appeal process (email blocked as well as IP)
and NO attempt to communicate with me, just a blatant ..i dont have to do what you are you are asking, you have to obey me not the other way around, thus i dont like you, attitude towards a member of english wikipedia that has had no quarrels whatsoever in 3 years and just wants someone to stop bothering him in a language he dosnt speak and has explained
apparently i was being racist in saying that i didn't speak tamil, being racist because i said i didn't understand, and all despite saying before the message that i wasnt
so i say NO ...i was being MYSELF ...just because YOU dont like it does not make what i say racism,
nor is being an admin a do what i want and get away with it card
im not going to appeal the ban because at the end of the day i do not care if i can use the tamil wiki or not, nor do i particularly care for the viewpoint of this blatant moron
but i DO care that im being punished OUTRIGHT without a chance to say anything for myself just because some pissant professor from sweeden thinks he is smarter than everyone else and thus dosnt like being told he is a moron because i have already asked him nicely to stop reverting my edits to my own user page and he chose to ignore my wishes and carry on
UPDATE: this has happened again on the Italian wiki too, their excuse for banning me their was not wishing to contribute but at the end of the day that isnt MY problem THEY left a random message on my talk page then when i complained my removal of this was being reverted, blamed the fact i am an "Anglophone" as the reason that i consider this an invasion of privacy, as if the fact i am in a minority (only 1% complain apparently, mostly English speakers) makes it it an ok practice
but it isnt its just bloody rude
What is your solution?
whilst we have a court of appeal i think prevention is better than the cure .....i think a number of admin votes should be required before a ban may take place and i think a warning ....and an opportunity for the offender to explain might be also a good idea and would prevent absolute power from corrupting absolutely, especially in cases like this where after 3 years of NEVER being on another wiki someone rudely decides i SHOULD be and dosnt LIKE the fact that i cannot bloody understand them or the fact that after 3 attempts to tell them no i got upset
their should also be a harsher punishment for admins that ban unjustly .....like a month ban for example
just more reassurance that i can only be banned from actually doing something wrong rather than the age old case of being banned because one person decided to take their ball home
end of the day i can admit I was a bit of an arse ...but when someone is BEING an arse im perfectly justified to get a little peeved at them,
and at the end of the day whilst calling someone a moron might not be "nice" it isn't a ban WORTHY offence, and neither is declining to contribute because at the end of the day what if i decide i want to later on
- Volunteer since i dont particularly care to admin this topic ......this is what i will be, ...i want to see what other people think more than anything Tony Spike (talk) 08:43, 6 June 2016 (UTC)
- Advisor I like to advise as I have decade of harassment experience while on the receiving end. Twitteristhebest (talk) 04:32, 7 June 2016 (UTC)
- I have been harassed many times by many admins while editing Science article on English Wikipedia for past decade. Also harassed on Muslim population growth article by User:Peaceworld111. Twitteristhebest (talk) 04:29, 7 June 2016 (UTC)
- Barbara (WVS) (talk) 20:41, 20 June 2016 (UTC) - half of all my harrassment comes from admins.
- The Ideas:
- just updated again ....its happened again on the italian wikipedia, ..these guys just seek me out, add a random message to talk page their (despite me NEVER being their, contributing their or showing an interest in doing so) then when i explain that i am English, dont speak the language and have no interest in being their i get blocked/banned ....i mean its not that i want to be their ..its the principal Tony Spike (talk) 12:46, 30 March 2018 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.