Grants:PEG/Bizdin Muras public foundation/Kyrgyz wikipedians movement
- 1 Basic information
- 2 Goals and measures of success
- 3 Project scope and activities
- 4 Budget breakdown
- 5 Impact
- Official project name
- Kyrgyz wikipedians movement
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 20 April 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- 28 February 2014
- Please describe this project in 1 - 2 sentences
- Over the course of 10 months, we will conduct a series of outreach workshops to university students to contribute to Kyrgyz Wikipedia, digitalize several encyclopedias and dictionaries to create up to 20 000 new articles in Kyrgyz Wikipedia. We will conduct third rally of kyrgyz wikipedians as well.
- Currency requested (you must specify a currency)
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- 27 750
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in USD
- 47.8998 KGS for 1 USD (Official rates of National Bank of KR)
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 20 April 2013
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- 1 content editor.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- Contracted to find misspelling on recognition and edit them on "Kyrgyz spelling dictionary". On the base of this dictionary will developed online spellchecker of Kyrgyz language and extension (apps) for internet browsers.
- Primary contact name
- Chorobek Saadanbekov
- Primary contact username or email
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
Goals and measures of success
Extend development Kyrgyz wikipedians movement.
"Kyrgyz wikipedians movement" project implemented by Bizdin Muras public foundation under the support of Soros-Kyrgyzstan Foundation in 2012.
Project provided excellent results. Therefore, we intend to continue successfully growth.
Measures of success
- Kyrgyz Wikipedia will continue stable growth. New 20 000 articles will created.
- 200 new users will trained for editing skills and number of active editors will go up.
- Kyrgyz Wikipedia will have good developed Interaction Chapter: Help, Community portal, Guidelines
- Quality of Kyrgyz Wikipedia articles will improved.
- Interface of Kyrgyz Wikipedia will translated (most used and necessary commands).
Project scope and activities
- Provide 20 trainings for 200 new students.
- Several (12) encyclopedias and dictionaries will digitalized and created up to 20 000 new articles in Kyrgyz Wikipedia.
- Conduct third rally of kyrgyz wikipedians.
- Carry out contests for "good" and "best" articles.
- Provide public relations and promotional events for Kyrgyz Wikipedia.
We will organize 20 trainings in a group of 10 persons in each. The trainings will conducted for the students of universities and other interested organizations and individuals. In universities, explanatory lectures would delivered. After the lectures, students interested in may sign up for trainings. We set contacts with universities; there are groups of wikipedians created with the assistance of our project. In 2012, we organized trainings in 18 universities. We have good cooperation with universities administrations and the students themselves. The universities are interested in trainings and expect us to continue activities in 2013.
We have agreement with Kyrgyz National Center of Encyclopedia and plans to digitalize and prepare electronic versions of about 12 encyclopedias and manuals. In the center of Kyrgyz encyclopedia many electronic versions of earlier published encyclopedias were not saved, so we have to scan books and prepare their electronic versions. Sometimes we get electronic version in the publishing format p.65 (pagemaker). But there are a lot of works connected with exporting, converting and formatting the text in order to get full-fledged content. Thanks to this kind of job a big layer of encyclopedic knowledge is given a new life, catching attention of readers.
Third rally of kyrgyz wikipedians
We already conducted 2 annual rally of Kyrgyz wikipedians. The rally brought together active wikipedians to discuss progress and set up new plans. It is usually take place in December as a summary of annual activity.
Public Relations and promotions
Rapid growth of Kyrgyz Wikipedia attracts attention of local mass-media. We planned tell about goals and results of project in the beginning and end of project. In addition, we would like to produce some promotional staffs with Wikipedia logo to stimulate students.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Trainings||Trainings for administrators and advansed editors (3 day)||participant||5||150||750||USD||We need trainings for administrators. We have many questions and need help from Wikimedia Foundations experts. Costs of WMF expert not included.|
|2||Digitalization||Digitalization of encyclopedias||book||12||500||6000||USD||Expenses for scanning, recognizing, editing encyclopedias and formatting text to export.|
|3||Promotion||Third Kyrgyz wikipedians rally||Unit||1||7200||7200||USD||Annual (3 day) rally for active editors of kyrgyz wikipedia. Expenses for 40 participant accommodation, transporting and meal.|
|4||Promotion||Press-conference||Unit||2||150||300||USD||We planned inform mass media with goals and results of project in the beginning and end of project.|
|5||Promotion||T-shorts||Unit||50||10||500||USD||To stimulate active students.|
|6||Office||Rent of office||month||10||350||3500||USD||Office will used for trainings, digitalization and organization works.|
|7||Administrative||Project manager||month||10||700||7000||USD||Project manager responsible for successfully implementation of project. Will organize and provide trainings; conduct wikipedians rally; organize digitalization process; provide PR function and reports for sponsor and fiscals.|
|8||Administrative||Accountant service||month||10||100||1000||USD||Accountant service will provided for according to local tax law.|
|9||Administrative||Office manager||month||10||150||1500||USD||Assistant for project manager.|
|10||Equipment||Computers||unit||3||400||1200||USD||Computers would use for digitalization, presentation|
|11||Equipment||Scanner||unit||1||100||100||USD||Would use for digitalization, presentation.|
|13||Wikimania||Participation in Wikimania||participants||2||3000||6000||USD||2 participants will sent to Wikimania 2013 by Soros-Kyrgyzstan Foundation.|
|14||Conference||Conference on Problems of translations: terminology and methodologies||unit||1||3000||3000||USD||There are problems with translations and usage of terminologies. Conference will work out some recommendations and rules. Wikipedians will have some manuals and arrangements on usage of some terminologies in Kyrgyz.|
|15||Promotion||Prizes for contests||unit||10||100||1000||USD||There will conducted contests for best articles. Prizes will paid by other private sponsors.|
- Total project budget
- Total amount requested
- Are there additional sources of revenue that will fund any part of this project? List them here.
- Soros-Kyrgyzstan Foundation will finance participation of 2 editors from Kyrgyzstan in Wikimania 2013.
- We have agreement with private sponsors for 1000 USD for prizes
- We have agreement with "Zamandash" association about conduction of terminologies translation conference as an event of Kyrgyz Wikipedia Movement.
- Bizdin Muras foundation will provide equipment (computers, scanner etc.) for digitalization and trainings.
We need trainings for administrators. We have many questions and need help from Wikimedia Foundations experts.
We would like to organize it in June or July. We need Russian speaker expert from WMF.
In 2012, Kyrgyz wikipedians movement project had financed by Soros-Kyrgyzstan Foundation and successfully implemented by "Bizdin Muras" public foundation.
Because of project, Kyrgyz Wikipedia in 2012 made considerable growth.
According the procedures Soros-Kyrgyzstan Foundation does not financing one project twice in succession.
Kyrgyz wikipedians movement project results, 2012
- Growth of articles from 4500 up to 24000
- Trainings 18 trainings for 200 new users, 3 new administrators
- Digitalized and edited several encyclopedias and manuals
- Conducted second rally of Kyrgyz wikipedians
- Involved all active editors of Kyrgyz Wikipedia into movement
- Providing public relations and promotional events for Kyrgyz Wikipedia
Project will implemented by Bizdin Muras Public foundation.
The main goal of foundation is to develop open knowledge in Kyrgyz language.
Project will managed by Chorobek Saadanbekov - actual administrator of Kyrgyz Wikipedia.
Report about Kyrgyz Wikipedia
There are just over five million speakers of the language, most of whom are located in Kyrgyzstan with others speakers scattered about China, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. Kyrgyz and Russian are the official languages of Kyrgyzstan, however, more than two million citizens in the small Central Asia nation only speak one of the languages—Kyrgyz. Meanwhile, Russian is the primary language for higher education, science, and the media. Most schools provide instruction in Kyrgyz, but there is a real shortage of Kyrgyz textbooks. The Ministry of Education recently announced that schools are in need of 12 million textbooks—a great expense given the country’s current financial situation. This is where Wikipedia comes in.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of,
- *Project will train more than 200 new editors. Than more trainings we provide, than stronger skills and competence have our editors.
- * Realization of project will facilitate to increment number of articles Kyrgyz Wikipedia from 24 000 to 45 000. Than more articles appears, than more visitors we have (more people actually contributing),
- *Usage of encyclopedias as base of articles will provide good quality of articles. And we will increase a quality of existing articles by conducting contest for "good" and "best" articles during the project.
- We already implemented same project in 2012. We got excellent results. Reference from Soros-Kyrgyzstan Foundation attached.
- Kyrgyz wikipedians movement is a young community. We have being organize and working as a community only for last 2 years. We met as participants of previous projects promoted by Soros-Kyrgyzstan Foundation. We conducted two annual rally, where we came together to discuss matters and work out plans. Project will conduct third rally.
- Successfully growth of Kyrgyz Wikipedia attracts attentions. In current stage, we can attract some small sponsorship from private persons and companies for prizes. In future, we will try becoming as an official chapter of Wikipedia.
Our project will benefit 'Kyrgyz Wikipedia.
Our project will retain editors of Kyrgyz Wikipedia. Will influence to increase quality of free accessible knowledge in Kyrgyz language. For example, during the implementation Kyrgyz wikipedians movement in 2012, we bring up spelling and translation of terminologies in Kyrgyz. There were several reforms spelling rules during 200-2007. Now it is complicate to know which variant of spelling is correct. As result of implemented project, Bizdin Muras has started to develop online and offline spellchecker of Kyrgyz language. Conference on translations problems will help work out some rules and recommendations how to translate. In future Kyrgyz Wikipedia will developed by translations. So, it's important to set some rules.