Grants:PEG/Bojana Wiki PG/Wikimedia Start Republika Srpska 2016/Report
- Report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:PEG/Bojana Wiki PG/Wikimedia Start Republika Srpska 2016.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page, or visit the discussion page to read the discussion about this report.
- You are welcome to Email grants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
- Preparations: Initial steps in development and realization of the project Wikimedia Start 2016 required significant preparations for the event itself. First steps required selection and activation of the organization team from the members of the Wikimedia Community of the Republic of Srpska which would coordinate the project. Team was composed from three community members: Ljubiša Malenica, Radenko Đoković and Bojana Podgorica.
After communication with the WMF was established, project proposal was written in accordance with requests and applicable standards. It was necessary to, parallel with project proposal creation, verify domestic prices of services and products so the most favorable decision, in financial sense, could be reached when it comes to the issues of accommodation, food, technical aids and similar. As planned, this was done. Community decided that the event will be organized in the city of East Sarajevo, one of the largest regional centers in the Republic of Srpska.
- Program: In specially created questionnaire, community had the opportunity to suggest potential themes of the conference. On the basis of suggestions, program was created and we started collection of presentations which would later on be used during the conference itself.
- For Wikipedia Day, three presentations were shown (about Wikipedia, about free content and about local Wikimedia community in the Republic of Srpska) together with two short video clips. Afterwards, the structure of the Wikipedia itself was presented to the participants together with first hand demonstration in account creation and article edition on Wikipedia. During conversation and interaction with participants, interesting discovery was that majority of those who didn’t had previous experiences with Wikipedia editing, pointed out they were unaware of the complexity behind Wikipedia, existence of its guidelines or clearly defined criteria. Only few of them knew that behind Wikipedia one can find a whole network of people, volunteers and projects.
- Day of the conference Wikimedia Start Republic of Srpska 2016 was composed from 10 themes covered with 10 presentations, two video clips, one video message from the WMF and panel discussion. During the conference, audio segments from Hatnote Listen to Wikipedia were used as well. Through lectures all major Wikimedia projects were presented with special accent being placed on Wikipedia, its edition and familiarization with rules and guidelines of editing. GLAM and EDU projects of Wikimedia where presented together with photo-projects such as Wiki loves monuments, Wiki loves Earth and Traces of Soul. Conference presented statistical analysis of data on coverage and representation of Republic of Srpska on Wikipedia through themes that relate to it. One of the lectures was dedicated to CC licence. Participants showed interest and were motivated to take active part in discussion and lectures.
- Informing: With aim of informing the public about the event, site and blog of the Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska were updated with two notifications concerning the event. Notifications were placed early enough to facilitate as wide as possible dispersal of information before event began. On the day of the event itself, another article was placed on blog, taking form of a birthday felicitation to Wikipedia.
- Participants: Besides members of the Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska, students from the University of the East Sarajevo took part in the event. Representative of the University of the East Sarajevo participated in the conference as well and afterwards expressed wish for further cooperation between the Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska and University in the East Sarajevo on the issue of educational projects.
- Application form: Application form, taking in part shape of a questionnaire, was created and placed on the site of the community, on the page dedicated to the event:
http://wikimedia.rs.ba/index.php/Wikimedia_Start_Republika_Srpska_2016 22 participants applied for the event.
- Presentations: Lecturers, in accordance with the theme they chose, created their own presentations. Besides standard presentations created in Power Point or similar programs, other applications were used, such as Presi, video presentations and audio records. This contributed more diverse and, in technical and visual sense, more rich program.
- Video: Besides short video on Wikipedia and CC licences, special note and importance to the event gave video recorded by, on the suggestion from Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska, Anna Koval. Video was presented to the participants on the day of the conference and additionally influenced motivation of all present since it was seen as a confirmation of importance of the Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska as a partner in Wikimedia mission expansion on the territory of the Republic of Srpska.
- Locale, accommodation and catering: Inside organizational and pre-conference activities, one of the more important tasks was to acquire accommodation and locale for the event, in the season of New Year festivities, under acceptable conditions. Thanks to talks with the hotel management we secured discount of 12% which led to significant save in the overall budget. All activities were, given the most favorable offer, realized in the hotel “Espana” in East Sarajevo.
- Birthday cake: For the requirements of the event, birthday cake was made.
- Promotional material: Two types of brochures and one promotional poster were created for the needs of the event. This promotional material was available to the participants and the press representatives. Brochures were created carefully so to fulfill common standards on issues of content and visual expression. Also, QR codes were created which were later on applied to the brochures and through which users could gain more detailed information on Wikimedia projects and projects of the Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska.
- Media and social networks: Celebration in honor of the 15th Wikipedia anniversary caused significant interest in media. From the community, media received two notifications, one announcement and special article regarding the history of Wikipedia. In total, 18 media houses and portals broadcasted news on Wikimedia Start conference and birthday of Wikipedia. Besides notifications, those media that were interested had a chance to interview members of the community in TV and radio programs alike. Ten media services shared the announcement from the Wikimedia Foundation.
- TV BN
- Radio BH1
- Radio Slobodna Evropa
Special page, dedicated specifically to this event, was created on social network Facebook while crucial information’s were displayed on the official site of the community, Twitter and blog as well. Several hash tags were used and majority of the participants shared statuses concerning the event on their own profiles.
- What worked well?
- Enthusiasm and motivation of the community was significantly improved. After birthday celebration and conference, Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska held a meeting to discuss further plans. One of the topics concerned future projects and group improvement. Initial framework was formulated for ten new projects with further increase in group cohesion and capacity building so community could, in further period begin process of transformation into official Chapter.
- Strong bond was established with interested educational institutions in regards of creation and implementation of WikiEdu programs.
- Among the participants there was several of them with certain reserves when it come to the issues of Wikipedia, its basic functions, reliability but during the two day program they expressed interest in the whole Wiki network working behind the actual site of the encyclopedia. Later on, they did create their own accounts.
- What didn't work?
- Planned activities where realized in accordance with the plan and there was no problems during their realization. Only setback came in the shape of the final price for the birthday cake. During initial planning, prices taken into account were those of the festive and New Year period, which are somewhat higher than usual. Contradictory to the planned budget, some items were more expensive than in the initial agreement while in others we managed to save certain percentage of our financial resources given that we managed to receive discount on certain items. The problematic cake price was augmented from other sources and our own funds. Birthday cake, to certain degree, diverged from the planned and agreed outlook, but it still did comply with visual recognizable Wikipedia imagery.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Organizational plan and its realization were good and were implemented without significant problems. Every phase went according with the plan.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- Wikimedia Start Republic of Srpska 2016 is an event organized by the official user group Wikimedians of Republic of Srpska which will be held in the city of East Sarajevo during January 2016. Event consists from two-day activities. First day will be dedicated to activities regarding celebration of Wikipedia 15th birthday while the second day will be reserved for conference. Second day activities, Wikimedia Start conference 2016 that is, imposed itself as a good idea for implementation of multiple goals overlapping with general Wikimedia strategy and strategy for development of Wikimedia Community in Republic of Srpska. Given that complete communication so far between different members of community from Republic of Srpska was restricted to online conversations, Wikipedia birthday celebration will be first actual opportunity for personal introductions and communications for majority of community members and interested users. Aiming to rationalize our expenses and improving quality of the occasion, we decided to organize the conference within birthday celebration preparations. Celebration itself will take place on January 15th 2016. Birthday will consist from cocktail reception followed with suitable program focusing on Wikipedia, its founding, development, influence and importance.
- Conference will be held day after, on the 16th of January. Participants of the conference will be Wikimedians from different parts of Republic of Srpska together with students from different study programs of Faculty of Philosophy from East Sarajevo and for other interested participants (like wiki users). Program of the conference aims towards introducing Wikimedia projects with the participants and new potential users.
- Outlined activities aim to:
- Day 1 (Wikipedia Birthday)
- Promote Wikipedia and emphasize its importance;
- Promote Wikimedia;
- Inclusion in global manifestation of Wikipedia 15th birthday celebration;
- Strengthening of Wikimedia Community capacities in Republic of Srpska and city of East Sarajevo as one of the larger centers in the state;
- Encourage new volunteers for participation in Wikimedia mission promotion;
- Positive public effect through media coverage in Republic of Srpska and creation of good foundation for further projects in our region where Wikimedia and its projects will be recognized as positive and meaningful;
- Day 2 (Conference Wikimedia Start 2016)
- Wikimedia and its projects promotion through conference participants’ introduction with guiding principles and most important achievements;
- Popularization of Wikipedia and its opportunities by highlighting its multidisciplinary nature for the target audience;
- Recruitment of new Wikipedia users and editors through introduction to Wikipedia environment and article management;
- Wikimedia Commons popularization through group introduction to the project, its possibilities and importance;
- Recruitment of new Wikimedia Commons users through introduction to WC environment and use;
- Target audience familiarization with CC licenses with accent on their importance;
- Wikimedia community in Republic of Srpska capacity building through exchange of new ideas and shared activities on improvement and implementation of already planned project ideas in Republic of Srpska;
- Improvement of already existing Wikimedia community from Republic of Srpska members cooperation;
- Improvement of already attained capacities of Wikimedia community of Republic of Srpska through positive influence on enthusiasm of current members
- Encourage new volunteers for participation in Wikimedia mission promotion;
- Positive influence on general public in Republic of Srpska with aim to create a healthy foundation for future projects in our region where Wikimedia and its projects will be recognized as positive and meaningful;
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Set goals were achieved through planed and realized activities. Significant step forward was accomplished in terms of Wikimedia positive promotion and its projects. Besides other impacts of the conference, participants were able to get more intimate introduction into Wikipedia, its guidelines and rules and positive aspects of work with Wikipedia thus creating overall positive impact and their prejudices concerning Wikipedia were diminished.
Community was additionally bolstered, good communication was achieved and initial plans for the work in future period were developed. These initial plans concerned the ten new projects which community will attempt to realize in 2016. Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska itself was expanded significantly with 17 new members willing to cooperate in future projects and try their hand in article writing and editing. On the Wikipedia page new community members signed in, together with those already active members and editors: Википедија:Викимедијанци Републике Српске
Progress towards targets and goals
|Project metrics||Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|40 participants||40||32 unique participants: 8 people participed both days|
|10 media announcements||19 media announcements||Media have reported using date from our: 2 media announcements, 1 article writed, 3 blog posts, 2 TV guest participations, 1 radio guest participation|
|>5 new community members||17 new members||Community page on sr.wiki|
|50-100 Facebook followers/page likes||74|
|at least 2 new collaborations with teachers/students||3||
|at least 4 new collaborations between volunteers||10||Thanks to conference and face-face meeting, community member suggested several project. Besides three EDU project, we set up date for first GLAM project and take participation in organizing CEE Spring 2016 competition. Also we have plan to hold second TOE photo-competition, Brochure translation and held several edit-a-thons|
|Stronger community||YES||Enthusiasm and motivation of the community was significantly improved. We discuss further plans. One of the topics concerned future projects and group improvement. Initial framework was formulated for ten new projects with further increase in group cohesion and capacity building so community could, in further period begin process of transformation into official Chapter. Strong bond was established with interested educational institutions in regards of creation and implementation of WikiEdu programs.|
|3 new users will become active members in next 3 months||Data will be accessable after research which will be done 3 months after conference end|
|at least 4 attenders will use Visual Editor||2||A the time of presentation, participants expressed interest to other form of editing Wikipedia, thate there were demonstrated. After the conference, during the monitoring of the achieved results it was found that participants preferred to edit with basic editor on Wikipedia because they was more confident in it.|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||6|
|2. # of new editors||7 new users name|
|3. # of individuals involved||6|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||the goal was not to add images to Wikipedia pages|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||26|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||the goal was not to add or iprove articles|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||the goal was not to edit/write articles|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
What impact did this project have on WMF's mission and the strategic priorities?
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Event contributed, during its duration, to clear crystallization of ideas and plans for further work and projects of the Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska which should be implemented in 2016. Initial plans were laid out for the ten new projects which, amongst other things, include expansions of Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons with new content.
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Promotional activities, within planning and realization of events, contributed to increase of interest for projects of the Wikimedia. During and after the conference ended, Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska was contacted by individuals and different GLAM institutions with expressed interest for further cooperation with our community and expansion of Wikipedia with contents concerning the Republic of Srpska.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Preparation & Fundraising||Preparation||-||2||97,36||97,36||100||BAM|
|3||Meals||Meals and refreshment||1||20||390||390||390||BAM|
|4||Technical equipment||Flipchart table||1||-||123,15||123,15||180||BAM||New Year's discount.|
|5||Name tags||Name tags||1||20||40||40||20||BAM|
|6||Program leaflets||Program leaflets||1||25||25||25||25||BAM|
|8||Wikipedia15 B-Day||Events||1||628,37||628,37||565||BAM||cake was costed more than planned, and it was covered by community|
|10||Miscellaneous expenses and bank tax||12,54||12,54||220||BAM|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- € 1.643,18
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- BAM 2.759,44
- Total amount spent on this project
- BAM 2.759,44
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- BAM 2.689,57
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- BAM 69,87 (cake costed more than planned, and it was covered by community)
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- BAM 425,56 (EUR 218,23)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT