Grants:PEG/Ciphers and Shipmaster - Community of Arabic Wikipedia/Producer Prize/Report
- Report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:PEG/Ciphers and Shipmaster - Community of Arabic Wikipedia/Producer Prize.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page, or visit the discussion page to read the discussion about this report.
- You are welcome to Email grants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
Producer prize is a half-annual prize awarded to the participants who made a significant contribution on one or more of Arabic Wikimedia projects during each round.
Project goal and measures of success
Producer prize aims to :
- contribute to a better quality and quantity Arabic contents on the Internet within the framework of Wikimedia projects.
- provide a monetary prize to users in order to enable them continue their on-wiki activities
- promote the spirit of competition among its participants.
Measures of success
Over two rounds of Producer Prize (each round lasted for six months) 37 users were registered to participate, and 26 users submitted their contributions.
The nature of contributions varied form creating a stub, to preparing a featured article or portal. Some of the contributions statistics include :
- Creating 11040 new article (10000 among them by bot creation)
- Developiing 6 FA articles, and 10 GA articles, 6 images, and 4 featured portals
- Uploading 433 image to Wikimedia commons
- Creating 137 new template, and 1657 new category
- Referencing 173, wikifying 101, categorizing 418, and de-orphanizing 86, and merging 129 from the articles maintenance backlog.
What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects?
- Running mid-term competitions can help retaining editors
- Offering monetary prize can motivate users to generate new and high quality content
- Granting the prize only to the top participants made some of the other participants upset despite that they were already informed of the participation condition.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
- This project resulted in an increase of level of engagement among participants, judging panel, and organizers.
- This project motivated participants in pursue their pre-set goals by providing them with an incentive.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
Details of expenditures:
- 1st round - 1st prize : 0 (donated by winner)
- 1st round - 2nd prize : $ 250
- 1st round - 3rd prize : $ 100
- 1st round - 3rd prize : 0 (donated by winner)
- 2nd round - 1st prize : $ 525 ($25 for transfer fees)
- 2nd round - 2nd prize : $ 250
- 2nd round - 3rd prize : $100
- Total = $ 1225.00
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?