Grants:PEG/Harish Satpute/Hackathon IIT Bombay 2016/Report
- 1 Project status
- 2 Activities and lessons learned
- 3 Outcomes and impact
- 4 Reporting and documentation of expenditures
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
Organising hackathon required lot of preparation. Multiple things need to taken care by organiser but having 2 years of prior experience of organising Wikipedia hackathon and having good community and volunteer support made our task easy.
It was proposed to accommodate students in the Hackathon so the prior training of these participants were needed. Pre-hackathon Event was organized to make participant more aware about Wikimedia tools, api and technologies
- Pre-hackathon event (May 30, 2016 )
|Speakers:||Rahmanuddin Shaik (CIS A2K Bangalore)|
|Abhinav Garule (CIS A2K Pune)|
|Event Page link|
To make student used to Wikimedia technologies, four code sprint were conducted for four week-ends.
- Code Sprint 1 (June 4, 2016 )
Speaker: Harish Satpute
- Code Sprint 2 (June 11, 2016 )
Speaker: Rahul Deshmukh
- Code Sprint 3 (June 18, 2016 )
Speaker : Miss. Kiran Nale.
- Wikidata session (June 25, 2016)
Speaker: Titto Dutta (CIS A2K Bangalore)
- Having good infrastructure of Indian institute of Bombay. We used hall for the event with seating capacity over 150. Opening ceremony, demonstration session, feedback session and closing ceremony were conducted in this hall.
- We also used foyer where Hackathon seating arrangements were made.
- Conference management software was set for registration desk.
- Every participant was given barcode printed ID card.
- Multiple cameras with mixer was deployed for the video recording of the event.
- At the end of the event feedback form were collected from students.
- Gala dinner was arranged.
- What worked well?
- The combination of different level of expertise in group formation worked well.
Groups were formed with 1 mentor+1 group leader+ 3 senior Wikipedians + 2 students. This leads to showcase 100% (Proof of concept) project.
- Pre-hackathon and sprints to train the student was beneficial.
- Using barcode and software for registration helped keep track of participation.
- Local volunteers and Marathi community support.
- What didn't work?
- Heavy rain on the event day caused inconvenience to commute.
- Due to one day Hackathon participants has to work under tight time line.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- In future two days Hackathon can be organized for getting more outcomes.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- Goal for this event is specified on our PEG Request.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- As the objective specified in the GRANT proposal page our main goal was to develop tools required to Marathi Wikipedia community, for porting the Marathi language encyclopedia to Marathi Wikipedia. We are glad to inform that during this Hackathon we have developed three solutions which will help to make content porting easy. Out of 6 projects showcased 3 were related to Marathi language encyclopedia and Marathi wiki porting work.
- Code is available at https://github.com/marathiwiki/
- Hackathon images https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_Hackathon_IITB_2016
- We have mentioned in our goal that we wanted to involve students in this Hackathon. This helped us to create new volunteers for Wikipedia. These students are now having knowledge of Wikimedia technologies
- Media coverage
- The event is covered by front line Marathi daily newspaper ‘Loksatta ‘ on cover page by publishing a story on Hackathon at IIT Bombay 2016.
Progress towards targets and goals
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|More than 50 attendees||60 attendees|
|15 % female attendees||32 % female participation|
|15 new participants (students)||16 new students participated|
|At least 4 working proof of concept applications||5 proof of concept applications and 1 workable application|
|1. # of active editors involved||60||This is the number of attendees.|
|2. # of new editors||20||These are the new Participants who worked on Wikimedia technologies first time.|
|3. # of individuals involved||70||60 attendees + 10 people helped for conducting pre Hackathon events.|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||(not tracked)||The goal of the event was to write code, not to add content|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||(not tracked)||The goal of the event was to write code, not to add content|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||(not tracked)||The goal of the event was to write code, not to add content|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||(not tracked)||The goal of the event was to write code, not to add content|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- Yes definitely. We had feedback session before closing ceremony. In this session most of the participant express themselves that they would like to start wikipedia orientation program at their respective locations to increase technical outreach.
- The IIT Bombay Hackathon 2016 student participants carried the motivation in Wikipedia India conference 2016 at Chandigarh by actively participating.
- Increasing reach:
- This event helped us to spread the Wikipedia technologies as we have participants across the nation.
- Encourage Innovation
- By using the power of Wikimedia technology and skills of participants. We were able
- to develop tools which can be utilized to make more effective use of editors time by reducing repetitive work.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Project budget table
|Number||Item description||Unit||Qty||Cost per unit INR||Total cost INR||Actual cost INR||WMF contribution (INR)||Other sources (INR)||Notes|
|1. Travel costs||41,000.00||38520||39000||7000|
|1.1||Air fair for technical experts and speakers||4||6250||25000||26620||25000||0||We invited 3 guest for this event.|
|1.2||Travel cost for a support expert||1||2000||2000||7000||0||7000||Travelling cost is supported by CSI A2K India|
|1.3||Accommodation for experts and speakers||4||2500||10000||400||10000||0||Only 2 expert requested accommodation. That was arranged in IIT Bombay guest house which cost us very less.|
|1.4||local tranportation||4||1000||4000||4500||4000||0||For local travel.|
|2. Accommodation and meals||33,000.00||44637||25,000.00||18500|
|2.1||Lunchs||50||200||10,000.00||9500||10,000.00||0||Based on this year participation and menu this was the total amount we spent on lunch.|
|2.2||Dinner||50||200||10,000.00||9500||10,000.00||0||Based on this year participation and menu this was the total amount we spent on lunch.|
|2.3||Breaks||2||2X50||50||5,000.00||7137||5000||0.00||Coffee,tea, Cookies and snacks. There were two breaks.|
|2.4||SingleRooms||15||300||4,500.00||4,500.00||0||4,500.00||Booked rooms for student participants.|
|2.5||Preparation team housing||7||500||3,500.00||14000||0||14000.00||Our previous booking got cancelled and we made outside IIT campus booking.|
|3.1||Semi circular Hall||1||10000||10,000.00||10000||0||10,000.00||This semicircular hall is used for opening closing session ,talks, feedback and discussion booked by IIT Bombay.|
|3.3||Air Conditionar for Hall||10000||10,000.00||10000||0||10,000.00|
|3.4||Dual Projection System||1||5000||5,000.00||5000||0||5,000.00|
|3.6||Video recording of the event||15000||15,000.00||21000||0||21,000.00||There was increment in video recording charges this year.|
|3.8||50||400||20,000.00||23000||20000||0.00||23000 was total cost.|
|4. Materials and gifts||13,000.00||14100||12000||1,500.00|
|4.1||T-Shirts||Per participant||50||240||12,000.00||12600||12000||0||252 rupees per participant t-shirt cost.|
|5. Administrative expenses||24,000.00||25886||24000.00|
|5.1||Event logistick and transportation||4000||4,000.00||4500||4000||0.00|
|5.2||Banner , Backdrop and Sign board||10000||10,000.00||9430||10000||0.00|
|5.3||Printing, Stationary, Registration Kit||10000||10,000.00||11956||10000||0.00|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 1,98,000.00 INR
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 1,20,000.00 INR
- Total amount spent on this project
- 2,19,143.00 INR
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 1,19,143.00 INR
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- IIT Bombay
- 1,00,000.00 INR
- CSI A2K India
- 7000 INR
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT