Grants:PEG/Mohamed Ouda/Egyptian Wikimedians User Group 2016 activities/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
Wikipedia education program conference
we managed a conference in Cairo University to celebrate the achievements of students in the 7th term on Wikipedia education program
Wiki Love Monuments
WMEG actively promoted the Wiki Loves Monuments Competition with the following :
- Advertising the competition through the ORMS mailing list ans social media which has a substantial number of photographers
- Contact and presentations with photographic societies / clubs to promote the competition
we managed a writing contest for the beginners users . in Arabic Wikipedia and 36 user joined it and its result was more than 110 new articles and upload 80 new image. there was 3 winners in this contest . first prize was $350 and second was $200 and third by $100. and the judgement criteria was on both quantity and the quality .
- What worked well?
- Wikipedia education program conference was very useful to encourage the students and appropriate them .
- how to keep contributors engaged in the community after the program.
- wiki love monuments competition get on commons new 3,929 image
- how to organize a trip for professional photographers and contributors.
- What didn't work?
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
We will use more volunteers and we will take more time for palnning.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
The goal of the project is to bring Egyptian people closer to the Wikimedia projects
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
We believe the goal was achieved and our results is good
Progress towards targets and goals
|Project metrics||Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|upload 4000 new images||new images uploaded 3929||A total of 3,929 images were submitted in Wiki love monuments competition|
|Recruitment +100 new editors/contributors||120 new editor contributed|
|+5 Million bytes added to the Arabic Wikipedia.||More than 15 million bytes were added||by Education program students|
|get at least 30 new active female contributors for Wikipedia.||More than 40 new active female contributors||by Education program students and writing contest|
|+600 new articles added to the Arabic Wikipedia.||and 2000 new articles||by Education program students and writing contest|
|new users contributed in the writing competition||36 new user||36 new user contributed in the writing competition|
|New Article in the writing competition||105 New Article including 2 featured articles||36 new user contributed in the writing competition|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||200||involved as volunteers, juries, participants|
|2. # of new editors||~100 persons||estimated from number of new editors|
|3. # of individuals involved||200||participants|
||250||From contest statistics|
||3918||From contest statistics|
|of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||450||new articles added to Arabic Wikipedia|
|Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects|
|+10 Featured articles nominated on the Arabic Wikipedia.||12 Featured articles created|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
yes it increased the motivation of contributors by helping them how to edit in the edit-athons and offers awards for the best contributes
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
- we encouraged many new use users to participate in Arabic Wikipedia and commons by education program activities , and the writing contest
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
- by supporting users to improve quality of the articles and many of them created featured articles .
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
- we created online ads to reach new readers from the social media sites
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
PLACEHOLDER TEXT. SEE INSTRUCTIONS AT Grants:Index/Create financial report.}}
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- USD 10596
- Total amount spent on this project
- USD 7773
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- USD 7773
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- USD 2823
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
we made a submit a for a new grant request
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||WLM ِAdvertising||Poster printing and Online Ads||-||-||160||160||500||USD||-|
|2||WLM Prize||First Prize||Prize||1||500||500||500||USD||-|
|3||WLM Prize||Second Prize||Prize||1||250||250||250||USD||-|
|4||WLM Prize||Third Prize||Prize||1||150||150||150||USD||-|
|5||WLM Prize||forth Prize||Prize||1||100||100||100||USD||-|
|6||WLM Prize||fifth Prize||Prize||1||50||50||50||USD||-|
|7||WLM Prize||Special Prize for most linked photos in articles||Prize||1||150||150||150||USD||-|
|8||Photobooks||print Photobooks with the winning photos||photobook||75||4||300||300||USD||WE got special discount so we increased the quantity|
|9||Gift packages for the judges||Gift packages for the judges||Gift packages||3||100||300||300||USD||-|
|10||Regular meetups||Dinner/ meetups||Meal/Person||-||-||700||900||USD||-|
|11||Transportation/shipment fees||Transportation and material shipment fees||-||-||-||360||600||USD||-|
|13||Equipment||Portable hot spot router||router||-||-||145||150||USD||-|
|14||Promotion||Printed T-shirts, for the participants||T-shirt||50||4.8||240||240||USD||decreasing the cost of the unit and increasing the quantity|
|15||Edit-a-thon transportation||Bus rental||Day||2||150||300||600||USD||-|
|16||Meals||Meals & Refreshments for 4 edit-a-thons||people/editathon||60||5||300||1000||USD||-|
|17||Edit-a-thon Space rental||Edit-a-thon Space rental||Space rental||1||100||100||320||USD||-|
|18||Edit-a-thon Advertising||Edit-a-thon Advertising||online and printed ads||-||̈-||-||200||USD||-|
|19||Writing Competition first prize||Writing Competition first prize||prize||1||350||350||350||USD||-|
|20||Writing Competition second prize||Writing Competition second prize||prize||1||250||250||250||USD||-|
|21||Writing Competition third prize||Writing Competition third prize||prize||1||100||100||100||USD||-|
|22||Equipment||Internet access subscription||month/ user||13||22||286||624||USD||-|
|25||Awards||Simple awards for students||-||250||4||600||1000||USD||-|