- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
- Sharing knowledge through floss software and technology
- Informing Albanian youngsters about Wikipedia
- Teaching youngsters and influencers (teachers and university professors) the usage of Wikipedia
- Creating the albanian Wikipedia 'ambassadors'
- Community building
- Collaboration with the public administration (the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Culture)
- Promoting the albanian cultural heritage through Wikipedia, making information accessible by all interested parts, albanians or foreigners.
- Presenting and digital archiving in a structured and organized platform all the objects of cultural interest in the Republic of Albania.
- Increase awareness mainly among the youngsters about the importance of albanian cultural heritage through volunteering by improving or adding information on Wikipedia about the issues of cultural heritage.
- Decentralization of Management - the information about the cultural heritage updated by many approved institutional users into a platform that will be active for a long time (Sustainability).
1. Making a tour all over Albania with presentations and workshops.
|Month||City||Number of Presentations/Workshops||Place|
2. Collaborating with Ministry of Education and Ministry of Culture.
- Ministry of Education can provide easy access in Schools and Universities.
- Ministry of Culture can promote WIKI LOVES MONUMENTS. And provide the necessary materials of cultural heritage and monuments in Albania.
3. Activities like Wikipedia Weekend in Tirana. Inviting people from abroad and also local speakers, to share their experiences with Wikipedia in order to inspire the youngsters here in Albania to get more involved with Wikipedia.
4. Meetings at Open Labs hackerspace, to talk about Wikipedia and different subjects like females on Wikipedia, lack of multimedia material on Wikipedia Albania, short articles, typos ect.
- Wikipedia Albania
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increasing reach
- Higher impact potential
- Presenting at conferences with a targeted audience like FLOSS, or events about literature.
- Lower impact potential
- Spreading the word about Wikimedia projects to a general audience with follow ups once in a while (e.g book fairs, cultural events, literature events)
- Increasing participation
- Higher impact
- Potential to increase the number of active editors.
- Improving editor diversity by recruiting new editors from a target group (e.g women, rural cities)
Onboarding and educating new editors with a plan for follow-up and mentorship (e.g. competitions for the best article, workshop and edit-a-thon series)
- Lower impact potential
- Recruiting new contributors whose participation is limited to the event (e.g. contest contributors, "Wiki Loves" competitions)
- Introducing people to editing without explicit follow-up (e.g. some one-off edit-a-thons or workshops)
Measures of success
- Number of training sessions - 30 sessions
- Number of trained teachers per session - 2 teachers in each session X 30 sessions = 60 teachers (in total)
- Number of students trained - 25 students in each session X 30 sessions = 750 students in total
- Number of registered new users - 10 new users per session X 30 sessions = 300 new registered users (this is approximate since we are not sure if there will already be registered users in each session)
- Number of articles written/improved - 5 articles per session X 30 sessions = 150 articles
- Number of participants still active 2 and 6 months after the end of program - There will be follow ups with emails/newsletter and Wikipedia messages to make sure that at least 100 students remain active. This is also an estimation since we have not used this metric before.
Resources and risks
Open Labs members have organized more than 80 activities with average attendance of 15 people during two years on a low budget style. We are an active community with a good knowledge about the MediaWiki platform. Our community has started promoting Wikipedia in an organized way since November 2013, an experience that gives us confidence to continue the project in a more dynamic way.
Total cost of project
Total Cost of the Project = 4048 Euro
Total amount requested
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program equals the total cost of the project mentioned above.
- 4048 Euro
Additional sources of revenue
- Expert advice from WMF in unclear situations during the project
- Requesting permission to use Wikimedia's marks
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Open Labs mailing list.
- Wikimedia Serbia
- Social Media pages(twitter, facebook) that our hacker space Open Labs and Wikiakademia possesses.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- We already endorse our grant request here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/WikiAcademy_Albania