Grants:PEG/Open Labs and Youth Center Borderless/OSCAL/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
- Some useful links about post-oscal event.
- 1. http://oscal.openlabs.cc/infographic/
- 2. http://oscal.openlabs.cc/oscal-memories/
- 3. http://redon.skikuli.com/2015/07/oscal-2015-aftermath/
Activities and lessons learned
- Official website of the conference: http://oscal.openlabs.cc/
- Full agenda featuring Wikimedia related activities: http://oscal.openlabs.cc/agenda/
- Wikipedia competition blog post and announcement: http://oscal.openlabs.cc/wikipedia-editathon-oscal2015/
- Blog post featuring photo from the winner of the competition: http://oscal.openlabs.cc/meet-the-winners-of-oscal2015-competitions/
- Blog post from Elio Qoshi (one of the organizers of Open Source Conference Albania where the activities mentioned here took place): http://elioqoshi.me/2015/06/oscal15-in-numbers/
- Blog post from Redon Skikuli (Wikipedian): http://redon.skikuli.com/2015/07/oscal-2015-aftermath/
- 300 participants: https://www.facebook.com/openlabsAlbania/photos/a.688929817885459.1073741902.252901221488323/688929927885448/?type=3&theater
- Infobooth for Wikimedia both days
- Competition for the best article into Albanian Language - http://oscal.openlabs.cc/wikipedia-editathon-oscal2015/
- Open Discussion (round table) about Wiki Loves Monuments organization for 2015 and coordination between Wikipedians in Albania and Kosova:
- Wikimedians that hosted workshops and presented during the conference:
- Prof. Ismet Azizi (Kosova): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.689271571184617.1073741903.252901221488323&type=3
- Kiril Simeonovski Shared Knowledge Macedonia: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.688929817885459.1073741902.252901221488323&type=3
- Arianit Dobroshi (FLOSS Kosova): https://www.facebook.com/openlabsAlbania/photos/a.689271571184617.1073741903.252901221488323/689291287849312/?type=3&theater
- Infographic with details about the conference in English: http://elioqoshi.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/English-01.jpg
- Infographic with details about the conference in Albanian: http://openlabs.cc/oscal15-ne-numra/
- documentation is key for your report and also for the promotion of your activity during and after the event;
- before applying for grants always contact similar organizations in order to provide Wikimedia Foundation with the expected insights;
- number of active contributors is growing, but not at the rate we are aiming;
- it's important to have an nisight of the expected results before applying.
- What worked well?
The awareness about the importance of the Wikimedia related project is raising gradually with local conferences like Open Source Conference Albania and dhe upcoming Wikipedia Weekend. At this stage the core group of active Wikipedians is growing every time after these events and we have managed to be a core team of 5 very active Tirana based Wikipedians (from 2 the last year) that organize Wikipedia related events mainly in the capital of Albania.
- What didn't work?
The Albanian speaking community is spread into 3+ countries which makes the organization of activities not easy. In concrete, the competition participation was smaller than expected, considering the vast amount of attendees at the conference. Approximatively 30 took part at the Wikipedia edit-a thon competition. Further, this was our first time applying for a Wikimedia PEG grant, so we were late on receiving the fund and unfortunately we didn't have the full materials on time. However, the experience we got from writing the proposal was worth it.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
We think that the small participation comes from the lack of knowledge. Considering also the workshops and tour that we have done to teach people how to use/edit Wikipedia almost no one knows how to do it. So first we have to promote as much as we can the importance of Wikipedia Contribution for Albania and local communities. Then to follow up with the ones who are really interested to be part of the community.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
The goal of the presence at Open Source Conference Albania was to raise awareness for Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects in Albania and to get more contributors on board hopefully through the workshops and meetups during and after the conference until 2015.
Progress towards targets and goals
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|50 newly registered users||13 newly registered users||The conference was about free open source technologies not only dedicated to Wikipedia so the participants were trying to get involved with all the project that were part of OSCAL.|
|100 individuals involved||45 individuals involved (approximately)||Mainly due to reasons mentioned in the sections above. Also, the fact that the organizers of the conference changed the time of the event maybe influenced negatively the participation.|
|50 number of new images/media added to Wikimedia article pages||9 number of new images/media added to Wikimedia article pages||This is related with the low number of participants in the Wikimedia related events in the conference.|
|20 number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||15 number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||The participants were contributing to any Wikipedia related project for the first time and the available time during the conference was not enough for them to create or edit more articles or contribute.|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||5||2 active editors at editathon, 3 active editors gave presentations|
|2. # of new editors||13||3 new editors from the event are still active|
|3. # of individuals involved||45|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||9|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||15|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||0||Unfortunately we did not measure the metrics (please see explanation above)|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
During the conference the motivation of a selected group of participants raise since some of the participants of the conference became active members in: - Open Labs mailing list; - Open Labs Telegram group dedicated to Wikipedia related projects; - the meetup with the Kosovo Wikipedians had two more follow up meetings; - the organizing group of Wiki Loves Monuments and Wikipedia Weekend 2015 includes participants from the activities of OSCAL.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
- commons.wikimedia.org Wiki Loves Monuments
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
With new articles and photos from new and current users.
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Printing Materials||Lanyards, Posters, Cards A6||295||295||n/a||336.89 EUR||775 USD||EUR|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 775 USD
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 775 USD
- Total amount spent on this project
- 336.89 Euro (375 USD)
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 336.89 Euro (375 USD)
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
Full list is hereː http://oscal.openlabs.cc/sponsors/
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 400 USD
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- Request for Reallocationː https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:Remaining_funds#Reallocation_for_Open_Source_Conference_Albania_.28OSCAL.29_2015