Grants:PEG/Project Luwi - Ethiopia
Jump to navigation Jump to searchThis was a submission to the Project and Event Grants Program from an organization in 10-21-2014, but was withdrawn by that organization before a funding decision was delivered.
- See the discussion page of this grant request for more information.
- Since this grant was withdrawn, no report is required and no further action is required from the grantee.
Grant request details
- Are you an organization, a group, or an individual?
- Please provide your name, or the name of the group or organization requesting this grant.
- AIESEC in Ethiopia
- Please provide the name (or username) of the main contact for this grant request. You do not need to disclose your legal name publicly.
- Abel Asrat
- For groups and organizations only: Please provide the name (or username) of a second contact for this grant request.
- Nebiyu Sultan | User:Nebiyu.s
- Please link to any relevant documents, including your website if you have one.
- Project Luwi | ConceptNote
- Official project name
- Project Luwi
- Project start date
- 5 December 2014
- Project completion date
- 24 February 2015
- Please describe the project in a few sentences
- PROJECT LUWI aims to create a community with the culture that utilizes the open educational resources (OER) that are available and contribute to the creation of quality online content for use by all. These communities will be actively engaged in the creation and sharing of local and quality resources that promote creativity and innovation of the Ethiopian youth.
- Amount and currency requested
- ETB 487,960
- Please provide an equivalent amount in US dollars using the exchange rate provided by Oanda on the date you open this request
For organizations only
- Are you an incorporated organization able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country? For-profit organizations are not eligible to receive grants through the PEG program.
- Does your organization currently employ or engage any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors? If yes, please tell us how many staff or contractors you employ or engage, along with their functions or a link to your staff page.
- 7 Full-Time Managers and 194 part-time volunteers
Goals and measures of success
- Project goal
- There are several points we would like to tackle with this project. The major ones are as follows:
- 1. Create student clubs in universities that actively contribute to the online content creation community
- 2. Increase awareness and knowledge of OER among universities.
- 3. Promote the use of creative common licenses for any work of an individual
- 4. Contribute to the editing and creation of articles on Wikipedia
- 5. Create awareness on responsible and resourceful use of social media
Measures of success
- Measures of success
- The Success of this projects mainly depends on the successful establishment of well-organized student clubs within the target universities. As such the student clubs will ensure the sustainably of the project. In this regard the student clubs will have the following activities to accomplish
- 1. 100 New articles (1 per participant)
- Each participant has contributed as least one article before the closing of the project. In addition, the student club continues to contribute as much article monthly after the closing of the project. These articles will be both in English and the local language of the university area.
- 2. Get Official University endorsement of OERs, and promote it among the academic staff to publish research articles.
Project scope and activities
- List of activities
- Between the project team and AIESEC in Ethiopia, we have contacted each of the universities for approval to run the stated activities. In addition, students that will facilitate the project in the university have been selected. The funding for this project will pay for the orientation and expenses of the volunteers that will give training to each of the university for a period of 2 weeks, the Bus campaign that will hold an event within each university and the materials for the trainings in the universities. After the trainings are delivered within each university, the project team will track each club and ensure their delivery. After that the clubs will continue to deliver with the support of the community they create among themselves.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Transportation||Student Ambassadors Orientation in Addis||Bus Ticket||10||12.50||125.00||USD|
|2||Transportation||Bus Tour to Each University||Tour Bus Rental - daily||15||175.40||2,631.00||USD|
|3||Transportation||Return Ticket for Trainers||Bus Ticket||10||12.50||125.00||USD|
|4||Transportation||In-City transport||1 minibus Rental - daily||10||75.00||750.00||USD|
|5||FOOD||Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner||Food for 30 people - daily||5 days||375.00||1875.00||USD|
|6||FOOD||Snack||Snack for 30 people - daily||5 days||75.00||375.00||USD|
|11||Logistics||Training Venues||Computer Labs Rental||20 days||50.00||1000.00||USD|
|12||Accommodation||Student Ambassador’s Orientation||Student Hostel||7 days||150.00||1050.00||USD||10 rooms for 1 week stay of the Students|
|13||Accommodation||Bus Tour Night Stay||Regular Hotel||14 days||300.00||4200.00||USD||10 rooms for each night stay of the tour|
|14||Accommodation||Trainers Accommodation||Guest Houses||14 days||300.00||4200.00||USD||Accommodation for the trains who will stay in the school for 2 weeks|
|15||Communication||Communication Expenses||-||10 people||100.00||1000.00||USD|
|16||Event||Sound Equipment||Rental- daily||15 days||100.00||1500.00||USD|
|17||Event||Venue||For Opening Events in Each University||5||100.00||500.00||USD|
|18||Reward and Recognition||University Administration||Staff Members||10||100.00||1000.00||USD|
|19||Reward and Recognition||Prizes||Participant Students||10||50.00||500.00||USD|
|22||Marketing||Banner||5 x 2||5||50.00||250.00||USD|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- the Major addition source for revenue will be the university, which will support through the waving of fees for the use of their infrastructure and facilities.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- • support in getting trademark agreements in place for local organizers,
- • Support in in placing blog posts/press releases, etc.
Resources and Risks
- TEAM Members
- 1. Nebiyu Sultan
- 2. Abel Asrat
- 3. Sofonias Asheber
- 4. Seble G. Baraki
- 5. Melikte Poulos
- 6. Fasika Minda
- If you support this project and are keen to be involved, please show your endorsement of this grant and intentions to be involved below:
- 1. Natnael Tadele
- 2. \
- The major risk in running this project is the change in school calendar that might be implemented this year. There has been a few changes already for which we had to adjust our timeline. But we have talked with the ministry of Education and few of the universities that will ensure we have adequate notice upon any decision to shift timelines.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- Increase Participation - with the establishment of student clubs within each university the amount of participants contributing to the organizational objectives will increase exponentially each year.
- Improved Quality - with the appropriate training the participants will receive and the involvement of highly qualifies university academics the quality of the contents uploaded will be highly improved.
- Increase reach - currently the reach of Wikimedia in Ethiopia is very low. With this this project we hope to tackle that by activating various young people and academics and connect them to the Wikimedia sites.
- Encouraging Innovation – The core of this project is the activation of student clubs within the target universities. The plan in to give the students a thorough understanding of the Wikimedia sites, and give then the space needed to innovate around what they understand.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- One of the beneficiaries will surely be the Amharic Wikipedia community, who will have new addition to the community that will create more content in the local language. But aside this the contribution to the general online community is massive.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement.
- This massive activation campaign in Ethiopia will certainly highly beneficial to the organizational development. There will be various communities created that will be well versed and also passing on the knowledge to other students whilst creating various articles and content.
- If this project is successful in this first run, it will expand to other universities that will further push for the organizational development, editor retention and education in the wider community
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations?
- Yes, the concept of the project is very simple and is widely applicable to any country to be implemented by any group or organization.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- This movement will also be widely publicized within and outside the university network.
- Involvement of the world’s largest student organization in this project will disseminate the education even further.