Grant request details
- Are you an organization, a group, or an individual?
- Please provide your name, or the name of the group or organization requesting this grant.
- Please provide the name (or username) of the main contact for this grant request. You do not need to disclose your legal name publicly.
- User:Ravan, engineer_ravan(a)yahoo.com (a)=@
- For groups and organizations only: Please provide the name (or username) of a second contact for this grant request.
- User:لا روسا, walaaabdelmanaem(a)gmail.com (a)=@
- Please link to any relevant documents, including your website if you have one.
- WikiWomen Prize - main page
- Official project name
- WikiWomen Prize (جائزة ويكي المرأة jaizat wiki almara'a)
- Project start date
- This is the date you begin work on your project. Please include a month, day, and year. You must include a project start date.
First Round: Dec, 1st, 2015 Second Round: Mar, 1st, 2016 Third Round: Jun, 1st, 2016 Fourth Round: Sep, 1st, 2016
- Project completion date
- This is the date you finish work on your project. Please include a month, day, and year. You must include a project completion date.
First Round: Feb, 29th, 2016 Second Round: May, 31st, 2016 Third Round: Aug, 31st, 2016 Fourth Round: Nov, 30th, 2016
- Please describe the project in a few sentences
- WikiWomwen prize is a (3 month) monetary prize given to the top contestants that made the best contributions regarding to Women, in order to decrease the gender gap (As described by the contest criteria) to one or more Arabic-language-related Wikimedia projects during the specified period.
For organizations only
This section only needs to be completed by organizations requesting grants. Individuals and groups that are not incorporated do not need to complete this section.
- Are you an incorporated organization able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country? For-profit organizations are not eligible to receive grants through the PEG program.
- Answer YES or NO.
We are the community of Arabic Wikipedia, no other organizations involved.
- Does your organization currently employ or engage any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors? If yes, please tell us how many staff or contractors you employ or engage, along with their functions or a link to your staff page. For example, "2 full time program managers and 1 part-time contractor accountant at 50% FTE each."
Goals and measures of success
- Project goal
- WikiWomen Prize has four goals:
- Promote the quality and quantity of Arabic contents on the web in regards to Female related content within the scope of Wikimedia Foundation projects.
- The prize is intended to grant a monetary prize to outstanding contributors as an incentive, for the purpose to maintain their continuous contribution to related projects and to encourage them in order to engage more in decreasing the gender gap in content.
- The prize aims to promote competition among contributors to reach the best quality of contents.
- The contest goals reflects decreasing the gender gap in the Arabic wikipedia.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
For Each round: (A year will include 4 rounds)
- 20 contest submissions
- 1000 new articles
- 10 Featured contents
- 200 new photos
- Improving 500 existing articles
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- We already have a system in place on the Arabic Wikipedia which has been utilized during the past rounds to receive requests, and record contributions for each of the contestants. We basically set-up, maintain, and monitor those pages, respond to inquiries about the process, and make sure that all contestants are well informed with the timeline and the basic rules.
After the end of each round, we contact a judging panel to look at the contributions and vote for the best top three contestants. We summarize the results, publish them and wiki and get in touch with the winners off-wiki in order to transfer the prize accordingly.
Our main goal from the contest is to encourage general participation and creation of quality content. We have found over years of assessing submissions that it is hard, at least on the Arabic wikipedia, to assess the quality and benefit of a certain submission unless it is measured relative to other submissions. Thus we use a "set your own goal and get assessed against everyone else" system. So goals are self-set provided they are assessed by the prize committee to be at a minimum realistic level of participation. Here is a detailed description of how it works:
- Each contestant creates a "Submission page" in which he lists a number of goals he thinks he can achieve within the period of time of the contest (six months).
- The contest committee reviews the submissions to make sure they meet a minimum level of participation.
- Candidates work on their self-assigned goals for six months, these can be improving existing articles in a field they are passionate about for example, or creating new articles and growing them to featured articles, or creating portals for their favorite topics, etc.
- After the contest period is done, a panel of judges, selected from editors-in-good-standing with diverse backgrounds who don't have a conflict of interest, assesses the candidates, the only directive given to the panel is to assess "benefit to wikipedia in terms of quality of the edits and effort put in them".
- The judges vote in a secret ballot on the top three candidates based on that criteria
- The ballots are counted and the top three contestants win
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
- The prize is granted quarterly to the top 3 contributors.
|Number of units
|Cost per unit
|Estimated Transfer Fees
|Transfers are free when using paypal, anywhere between 10$-25$ when using Western Union (paypal is not available in most area countries)
- Total cost of project
- USD 4400
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- USD 4400
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Currently not available
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- None at the moment, but we might ask for the foundation financial assistance to transfer the monetary prize in case of complicated cases where paypal or other conventional money transfer methods are restricted.
Resources and Risks
This section is used to highlight your potential for successfully executing this project.
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- Similar Project (Producer Prize) has been running successfully since 2010.
This section is used to identify key risks or threats that would prevent you from achieving your project goals and how you would mitigate those risks and threats.
- We are looking for feed backs.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See Project and Event Grants program criteria for decision making.
- The prize will be advertised on the main page which is supposed to attract new editors into the project
- The prize is granted to the most outstanding contributors to both the quantity and quality of contents.
- The competitive nature of the prize is expected to increase the level of commitment toward the project by existing users.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- The Arabic Wikipedia community.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- The competition encourages participation from new and veteran editors, and is judged based on multiple criteria including quality.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- Of course, we have extensive on-wiki documentation of the rules & process of the competition and we are happy to share those and any lessons learned with any group interested.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- I support this project Touzrimounir (talk) 20:40, 2 October 2015 (UTC)
- Sounds promising! I've been checking many EN articles about feminism lately and most of them had no AR equivalent (not even stubs). I think this project can help with this and with other female-related content.--Reem Al-Kashif (talk) 20:23, 8 October 2015 (UTC)
- Contests are great ways to encourage people to go the last mile and improve content beyond a stub. I like that the proposal encourages people to create a submission page and consider the different types of content creation. Cross language work can help people add diverse content to several language once good references are identified in one language. Sydney Poore/FloNight (talk) 23:48, 21 October 2015 (UTC)
- I totally support this contest... If I weren't busy preparing for the WikiArabia 2016 conference, I would have worked with Ravan and Walaa to manage WikiWomen Award.