Grants:PEG/Ravan - Community of Arabic Wikipedia/WikiWomen Prize-2015/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
WikiWomen Prize has four goals:
- Promote the quality and quantity of Arabic contents on the web in regards to Female related content within the scope of Wikimedia Foundation projects.
- The prize is intended to grant a monetary prize to outstanding contributors as an incentive, for the purpose to maintain their continuous contribution to related projects and to encourage them in order to engage more in decreasing the gender gap in content.
- The prize aims to promote competition among contributors to reach the best quality of contents.
- The contest goals reflects decreasing the gender gap in the Arabic Wikipedia.
- What worked well?
- Response from the contributors was better than Expected.
- Using the Wiki Metrics in order to catch the progress was brilliant.
- Participation from males were significant as they added very good articles about women.
- What didn't work?
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
WikiWomen Prize has four goals: Promote the quality and quantity of Arabic contents on the web in regards to Female related content within the scope of Wikimedia Foundation projects. The prize is intended to grant a monetary prize to outstanding contributors as an incentive, for the purpose to maintain their continuous contribution to related projects and to encourage them in order to engage more in decreasing the gender gap in content. The prize aims to promote competition among contributors to reach the best quality of contents. The contest goals reflects decreasing the gender gap in the Arabic Wikipedia.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
Yes I did achieve my goal.
Progress towards targets and goals
- Presentation of WikiWomen Prize in Arab World (2015-2016) was shown as a Lightning talk at Wikimedia Diversity Conference 2017 in Stockholm.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|20 contest submissions|
|1000 new articles|
|10 Featured contents|
|200 new photos|
|Improving 500 existing articles|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||1||one of the participant was using Wikipedia already.|
|2. # of new editors||24 out of 28 participants||24 are the number of users who made at least 3 articles in Wikipedia, 2 of them contributed in Kurdish Wikipedia & the rest contributed in Arabic Wikipedia.|
|3. # of individuals involved||29 including me.||28 Participants in the workshop and me as a mentor|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||682 new article||Number of articles added by participants in 3 months|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||1588926|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Budget item||Units||Actual cost per unit||Total cost||Budgeted cost||Notes|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on this project
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
Prizes were discounted to the amount of the money stated in the budget by a friend who owns an electronic shop.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- Refunded successfully