Grants:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wiki Workshop Chandigarh
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
We wish to have a gathering of current editors at the state capital. There will be a workshop to motivate new editors to join the movement and then there will be separate sessions for current editors.
- A session about the history of the Wikimedia movement as well as Punjabi Wikipedia.
- Workshop to teach the basics of wiki-editing to the participants
- Sessions for current editors by experienced editors. Sessions will be about Sister projects of Wikipedia, Content Translation, Gadgets etc.
- A special session dedicated to various competitions and events such as Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves Food etc.
- A discussion to plan future events and the future of the movement in Punjabi.
- Discussion about possible collaborations with various institutions.
Here is a draft of the Program of the Workshop. We are going to make some changes after our meeting on 25 September.
First of all we are going to give scholarships to active editors to come and attend the event. 3-4 scholarships can be given to editors who are inactive now but have been active in the past. We will gather on the day before the Conference and everyone will introduce themselves.
|Schedule of the Workshop|
|10:00 AM - 10:30 AM||Introduction to Wikipedia|
|10:30 AM - 11:00 AM||Punjabi Wikipedia (Gurmukhi and Shahmukhi)|
|11:00 AM - 12:00 AM||How to Edit Wikipedia|
|12:00 AM - 12:30 PM||Questions|
|1:30-2:00 PM||Introduction by existing editors and new recruits (~ 30-35)|
|2:00-2:15 PM||ProveIt and Hotcat|
|3:00- 3:30||Visual Editor|
|3:30-4:00 PM||Templates and Tables|
|4:00-4:15 PM||Talkpages and Village Pump|
|4:14-4:30 PM||Wiki Loves Food and other events|
|4:45-5:00 PM||Word of Thanks|
Punjabi Wikipedia and its sister projects
Fit with strategy
Increasing Reach and Participation:
- We are organizing the workshop at Panjab University, Chandigarh which is one of the most important institutions of Punjab. We are expecting that most of the participants will be students.
- The quality of contribution by current will surely increase as we will be teaching them about various projects they can contribute to and the tools they can use.
Measures of success
- Gathering of around 20 existing Punjabi Wikipedians. 3-4 such editors can be asked to attend who have been inactive lately but have contributed significantly in the past.
- Around 50 students participating in the Workshop with around 5 new accounts. There will be some edits on that very day as they will be taught to edit and they will attend other training sessions as well.
- This workshop aims in increasing participation from Chandigarh as well as to train editors. We will ask participants to fill a survey after the workshop. By this we can see how many people have started using new tools.
- News reporting in reputed newspapers.
- We have plans to follow up with new editors as we already have two active editors from Chandigarh. One of them, Gaurav Jhammat, studies at the host institute. We might plan some of our future meetups in Chandigarh to follow up as well.
Resources and risks
Team Members are experienced editors of Punjabi Wikipedia:
Competitions and Editathons organized in the past: All these have shown results which were noted by communities all over the world.
- Punjabi Wikipedia Article Writing Competition
- Punjabi Wikipedia 13th Anniversary Edit-a-thon
- Punjabi Wikipedia International Women's Day Edit-a-thon
We have organized some meetups without any funding and from our own pockets:
- Punjabi Community Meetup 1 February 2015
- Punjabi Community Meetup 14 March 2015
- Punjabi Community Meetup 6 June 2015
- Punjabi Community Meetup - 8 August 2015
There are some risks as this is the first time we are organizing a workshop which will be funded by some Organization(WMF). As the workshop is the responsibility of the whole community and not any one individual, the risk is not as much as it could have been.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance. I can assure you one thing that this is the maximum budget and we will do the conference in way less than this.
Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Venue||Conference Hall||1||1||2,500||2,500||INR||This is the approximate price as we have not booked a hall yet.|
|2||Logistics||Travel Scholarships||1||20||1,000||20,000||INR||The total cost will be less as it won't 1000 INR to everyone.|
|3||Logistics||Accomodation (2 nights)||Twin Sharing||10||2,000||20,000||INR||We are looking for cheaper alternative.|
|4||Food and beverages||Dinner day 0||Per person||25||200||5,000||INR||Expected price for Dinner.|
|5||Food and beverages||Breakfast day 1||Per person||25||200||5,000||INR||Expected price for Breakfast|
|6||Food and beverages||Lunch day 1||Per person||100||200||20,000||INR||Lunch for all the attendees at the venue|
|7||Food and beverages||Dinner day 1||Per person||25||200||5,000||INR||Expected price for Dinner|
|8||Posters||Posters and pamphlets||5,000||INR|
|8||Awards||Certificates for Active Editors||1||25||100||2,500||INR||Certificates of Appreciation to Active Editors.|
|9||Swag||T-shirts for Active Editors||25||Requested from WMF||These will not be handed over to all the participants.|
|10||Swag||Stickers, Badges, Pens, Pencils and Notebooks||Requested from WMF|
|11||Miscellaneous||Other things||5,000||INR||This is for other costs that might occur while organizing the conference.|
Total cost of project
90,000 INR 1382 USD as of 15 August 2015 on http://inr.fxexchangerate.com/usd/
Total amount requested
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
Additional sources of revenue
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
T-shirts and other items such as pens, pencils, stickers, badges etc.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Community has been notified at the village pump at this link.
I will soon create an event page on Facebook.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Chandigarh ,the State Capital of Punjab ,is the most appropriate and potential centre for such kind of activities.Organising such workshop here will attract the attention of press and media which will generate adequate awareness about the subject .Punjab University being the most reputed educational institution of the region has better potential to create new editors. Harvinder Chandigarh (talk) 19:36, 18 August 2015 (UTC)
- Wikimedia India has been a strong supporter of Punjabi community activities (ex: Article writing competition, 13th anniversary edit-a-thon) but we were unable to fund this event in time due to issues not pertaining to this grant. However, we helped by providing inputs for this grant request and program design. I am endorsing this grant request on behalf of the chapter. Best wishes for the Punjabi community for a successful event.--Ravidreams (WMIN) (talk) 15:25, 15 September 2015 (UTC)
- Such kind of Workshop is needed in the Punjabi community!! Endorsing this grant as a Wikimedian. Yohannvt (talk) 06:45, 16 September 2015 (UTC)
- This workshop will be definitely useful to the wiki community. Bhaskaranaidu (talk) 14:54, 6 October 2015 (UTC)