Grants:PEG/Shared Knowledge/CEE WikiCamp 2015
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
- The goals of the project are the following:
The project goal is to bring together the winners from CEE Spring from 19th CEE countries which participate in the contest. CEE Spring was organized for first time this year, with an aim to support article creation about every country in the region on every Wikipedia in the region. The contest itself took place from the 21st of March to the 31st of May 2015. WikiCamp was planed on several Skype and IRC meetings between the CEE comunity, and also on the mailing list for CEE countries. While the final statistics about the competition is planed to be announced around 31st of August 2015, Macedonian statistic is as this: 55 new articles.
The contents of the WikiCamp is: Wikiexpedition, photographic hunts, talks, recordings and create content about Macedonia based on these shared activities. Moreover, an emphasis will be placed on sharing experiences from participants of the CEE Spring contest.
As outlined in the Measures of success, we intend to enrich various language editions of Wikipedia as well as Wikimedia Commons with the activities listed. The WikiCamp will benefit the general bringing together of the CEE region, promote skills and knowledge that are both useful in the form of co-operation and individually on the respective wikis. Many of the activities listed relate to on-wiki work, and this is likely to increase the volume and diversity of online community projects.
Fit with strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See Project and Event Grants program criteria for decision making.
- During Wiki Camp all participants will contribute to Wikipedia, upload photos of cultural monuments of the region and will share experience of CEE Spring.
Measures of success
- The success of the CEE WikiCamp will be measured through the following measures:
- we expect the winners from all 19 countries which participate at Wikimedia CEE Spring;
- content generated in at least 10 languages
- at least 20 entries created on Wiktionary;
- at least 20 articles created on Wikipedia;
- at least 10 voices recorded;
- pronounciation of at least 20 words recorded;
- at least 1,000 photographs taken during the Wikiexpeditions;
- at least 100 unused photographs from Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 and Wiki Loves Earth 2015 included in articles.
Resources and risks
- 1 part-time chief program manager
- 1 part-time administration manager
- 1 part-time Wikimedian-in-residence
The following risks can be seen as limitations in organising the WikiCamp:
- the last day of the WikiCamp, 2 August, is a public holiday in Macedonia and some of the museums may be closed;
- the time of the WikiCamp at the end of July and beginning of August is the hottest period of the year in Macedonia on average and the starting time of the tourist visits is subject to changes depending on the weather conditions.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit (EUR)||WMF contribution (EUR)||Other sources & savings||Total cost (MKD)||Total cost (EUR)||Notes|
|1||Travel costs and visas||International travel costs||total for all participants from abroad||1 (total)||8534||524 841||8534||8200 EUR for airplane tickets and visas, plus 334 EUR for bus tickets for attendants from neighbor countries|
|2||Travel costs||Wikiexpedition travel expenses||total||1 trips||150||150||9 225||150||A Wikiexpedition tour for the participants|
|3||Acommodation and meals||Acommodation||participant × night||30 (18×3)||30||1620||99 630||1620||bed and breakfast in hotel|
|4||Acommodation and meals||Meals||participant × night||160 (3 times)||160||480||29 520||480||Lunch and dinner for 3 days starting with lunch on Friday (total = 3 meals)|
|4A||Acommodation and meals||Meals||participants||360 (12 Euros x 30 persons)||360||360||22 140||360||Saturday night national meal, for 30 persons, including Macedonian team|
|5||Acommodation and meals||Coffee breaks||participant × break||300 (60×5)||300||300||18 450||300||5 coffee breaks|
|6||Venues||Hall rent||day||2||100||200||12 300||200||Hall rent for two days, including projector and wifi|
|8||Venues||Museums||participant||18||1,5||27||1 660,5||27||tickets for one museum in Skopje|
|9||Materials and gifts||Printed materials||participant||n/a||n/a||50||3 075||50||Including: program leaflets, name tags, notebooks with logo|
|10||Administrative expenses||Unforseen expenses||project||1||1000||1000||61 500||1000||Incidentals or unforseen costs that could appear|
- Total cost of project
2 996 216.00 MKD (54 476.65 USD)782,341.50 MKD/12,597 USD
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- 782,341.50 MKD/12,597 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
74 270 MKD (1 350.63 USD)
- In this very moment we are not able to list additional costs which will be funded by other parts. This part will be included in the report.
- It would be desirable if the Foundation can promote or write about this event on information pages, Wikimedia Blog and other PR places.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- The community of Central and Eastern Europe was notified through its official mailing list and Facebook CEE page. Much more, the CEE countries all together decided to have WikiCamp as closing event of CEE Spring. The date was the timing agreed between the countries, as it suited most chapters best.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.