Grants:PEG/Sudhanwa Jogalekar - Wikimedians in Pune/Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration Pune India on 15 Jan 2010/Report
- To bring together various communities working on Wikimedia projects in Pune.
- To reach out to the general public in Pune and spread awareness about Wikipedia and others projects.
- To celebrate the Tenth Anniversary of Wikipedia.
Description of actual activities
- WIKIPEDIA INTRODUCTION & EDITING SESSION to Basic Ornithology Course at 1930 hrs on 06 Jan 2011 in Abasaheb Garware College.
- WIKIPEDIA MARATHI MEETUP at 1830 hrs on 08 Jan 2011 at SICSR.
- PUNE PHOTOTHON FOR WIKIMEDIA COMMONS at Shaniwarwada at 0930 hrs on 09 Jan 2011.
- BIRD ARTICLE IMPROVEMENT SESSIONS.
- TEDxPUNE EVANGELISM at SICSR on 15 Jan 2011 from 1000 hrs to 1600 hrs. with ‘Introduction to Wikipedia & editing session’ by User:AShLin from 1200hrs to 1400 hrs.
- TENTH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION at SICSR from 1830 hrs onwards.
- Dinner for Barry Newstead and few volunteers. After the function.
Details of Main function
- Presentation on Wikipedia (ten minutes).(Ashwin Baindur)
- Short talks on:
- Marathi Wikipedia (ten minutes) (Mandar Kulkarni).
- 7th Ornithology Course’s contribution to Wikipedia with Uploading of the three improved articles on Indian Birds (ten minutes). (Dr Satish Pande)
- Talk on contribution to Wikimedia Commons with symbolic upload of a photograph, from Wikimedia Commons loves Pune (ten minutes). (Ashok Bagade)
- Talk on contribution made by TEDxPUNE’s event for college students on 15 Jan 2011 (ten minutes). (Abhishek Suryawanshi)
- Talk on Software extensions developed by SICSR – (ten minutes) (Harshad Gune).
- ””’Hallmark address by Mr Barry Newstead from Wikimedia Foundation.””’
- Concluding remarks by Lalit Kathpalia.
- Cake cutting.
- Vote of thanks (Mandar Kulkarni).
What lessons were learned that could help others succeed in similar projects?
- It is important to make a timely bid for WMF resources, such as funding, distributables etc. Since this was done in time, funding and swag was received before the event and helped greatly in making it a big success.
- The functions are mostly attended by people not connected or very lightly involved with Wikipedia. Established users and editors were few and between. While this provides a great opportunity to sow the seeds in new minds, engagement of editors continues to remain a major challenge.
- Large number of people agreed with the aims of Wikipedia and the activities of the Pune Wikipedia community however very few people exposed for the first time in these events became established editors. There is a greater need for continual followup of such outreach activities because of and despite the low recruitment rate of editors.
- The presence of visiting dignitaries from Wikimedia proved a great attraction and was one of the reasons for good turnout on the day of final function and also generated a greater interest among the attendees.
Impact on WMF goals
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
- The function was a pioneering meetup for Wikipedians in Pune - about 15 established editors from English and Mararthi Wikipediasa and Wikimedia Commons met for the first time.
- The meetup and its associated activities reached out to approximately 300 members of the general public. Of these about five people are known to have become editors.
- The Wikipedia community in Pune found this event as a good starting point for integrated activities.
- Bird articles on English Wikipedia were improved with a number of referenced edits being made.
- Photographs of a prominent Indian monument were added to Wikimedia Commons.
- Awareness about fledgling Marathi Wikipedia was spread to the environment.
- A Facebook cum Flickr group called WikiPuneri has been started for coordination synergistic contributions across all Wikimedia Projects.
Detail of expenditures
Income-Expenditure statement for Wikipedia-Ten Celebrations
Money received : USD 500.00 (= INR 22,269.34 as per rate of conversion on that day @ INR 44.53868 per USD)
Expenses (In INR)
- 09/01/11 - Photothon snacks, tickets etc. (User:AshLin) - 239.00 (Receipts No 1 to 8)
- 13/01/11 - Press release related (printing, photocopying etc. (sudhanwa) - 166.00 (Receipts No 9 to 11)
- 15/01/11 - Flex banners (sudhanwa) - 696.00 (Receipt No 12)
- 15/01/11 - Booklet printing (sudhanwa) - 2472.00 (Receipts No 13 to 15)
- Booklet printing - Rs 2270.0 (Receipt No 13)
- Paper cutting - Rs 20.00 (Receipt No 14)
- Stationery - Rs 82.00 (Receipt No 15)
- Conveyance - Rs 100.00 (no receipt available)
- 15/01/11 - Cake, plates and related (User:AshLin) - 2720.00
- Cake - 2400.00 (Receipt No 16)
- Paper plates, napkins etc 170.00 (receipt No 17)
- Drinking water bottles for dignitaries Rs 150.00 (bill not available, purchased by SICSR volunteer)
- 15/01/11 - W10 celebrations refreshments SICSR(User:AshLin/sudhanwa) - 6000.00 (Receipt No 18)
- 15/01/11 - Dinner for 15 at Raviraj Hotel (sudhanwa/prasad) - 4500.00 (Receipts No 19 to 22)
- 15/01/11 - Various expenses for printing, misc.(Shirish) - 500.00 (Receipt No 23)
- Recharge voucher for internet data card - Rs 198.00 (Receipt No 23)
- Conveyance, stationery etc (- Rs 302.00 (bills not available)
- 13/02/11 - Expenses for visit to Mumbai for GLAM meeting (User:AshLin) :- 595.00
- Rs 275 (bus ticket to Mumbai) (Receipt No 24)
- Rs 80 + Rs 75 (local conveyance in Pune, Mumbai) (Bills not available)
- Rs 165(Mumbai-Pune bus ticket) (Receipt No 25)
Total expenses : 17888.00 (USD 401.63)
Balance : 4381.34 (USD 98.37)
Balance in hand (with Sudhanwa) To be used for further activities of Wikipedia. Promotion, outreach etc.
Amount underspent in US Dollars
Balance : 4381.34 (USD 98.37)
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?
Yes, To be used for further activities of Wikipedia. Promotion, outreach etc.