Grants:PEG/TMorshed/Bangla Wikipedia 10th anniversary
- 1 Basic Information
- 2 Goal
- 3 Plan
- 4 Resources and risks
- 5 Budget
- 6 Discussion
- Currency requested
- Bangladeshi Taka
- Amount requested in currency requested
- 10,06,414.40 BDT
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- BDT 78.50 per US dollar (quoted from http://sonalibank.com.bd/ 26 November 2014)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Answer ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL, or GROUP.
- Remember that individuals submitting on behalf of a group must provide 2 project leads who will be cosignatories on the Grant Agreement and cobeneficiaries on the project's bank account.
- Group information
- Name of group:
- Bangladeshi Wikipedians
- Name of group:
- Purpose of group:
- The Bangladeshi community of Wikimedians, who conduct meetups on a regular basis and helps the local chapter in organizing programs and events.
- Link to information about your group:
- The committee formed on behalf of the whole group is given here.
- 1st Project Lead
- 2nd Project Lead
Initially our planning was to apply for the fund as an organization (Wikimedia Bangladesh). But we have decided to apply as Bangladeshi Wikimedia Community for the following reason:
Withdrawal of money as a non-profit organization in Bangladesh involves some process as per the country's central bank (Bangladesh Bank) regulations. Wikimedia Bangladesh (WMBD) just got the local registration this July as a non-profit organization and accomplishing the necessary tasks including opening bank account of WMBD and obtaining permissions for withdrawal money (sent from abroad) have not been done yet. We are currently exploring what the whole process involves and then soon we will be starting to complete the requirements, which we don't know yet how long it would take. But as the tenth anniversary (literally it was supposed to take place earlier this year, but wasn't possible due to political instability) program has to be done within 2014, and for that, we have got just about 3 months, therefore we opted to request the grant as Bangladeshi Wikimedia community.
Bangla Wikipedia has stepped into its 10th year and has gradually become the largest Bangla website on the internet with about 35000 articles. Through a series of activities around seven divisional cities of Bangladesh, on the occasion of tenth anniversary of Bangla Wikipedia, this will be a massive outreach program along with edit-a-thons and workshops in an attempt to increase contributors.
- Inaugural Press Conference
The 10th anniversary celebration programs will be kicked off through a press conference to inform the media about 10th anniversary of Bangla Wikipedia and programs that have been undertaken.
- School program
The schools programs will be held across 10 schools, among which 4 are in Dhaka and 6 schools in 6 different districts outside Dhaka. In these programs, volunteers will motivate and students to use Wikipedia. Students will be taught to effectively use Wikipedia and then a quiz will be conducted. Based on the performance of the quiz, 10 students in each schools will be rewarded.
- Workshops and edit-a-thon
Workshops and edit-a-thons will be held in 10 universities in seven divisional cities of Bangladesh, including Dhaka. In the workshops, university students will be taught how to edit and create articles in Wikipedia. They will also know how to use photos in Wikipedia articles and other ways to improve Wikipedia. Followed by workshops, edit-a-thons will be conducted. Students will create and edit articles within a limited time-frame. Based on the performance of contribution, awards will be given to students.
Photowalks will be held in all the divisional cities of Bangladesh. Among 10 photowalks, 4 will be held in Dhaka and the rest will be in other 6 cities. In the photowalks, participants and volunteers of Wikimedia Bangladesh will cover a specific area of city by taking photographs of historic and culturally significant buildings, archaeological sites and other important things of the area. The photographs will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons in order to illustrate and improve articles.
- Photography contest
On the occasion of tenth anniversary celebration, Bangla Wikipedia Photography Contest has already been launched. The contest has started on September 1, 2014 and it will end on December 31, 2014. News of the contest has already been published by a number of leading newspapers. Three best photographs will be rewarded along with highly commendable award for seven other photographs. At the 10th Anniversary Conference, a exhibition will be held with 40 best photographs from the contest.
- Best Wikipedian Award
In an attempt to encourage new Wikipedians, three best Wikipedians will be given awards. Seven other Wikipedians will get special nominations. WM BD Executive Committee members and all administrators and bureaucrats of Bangla Wikipedia will not be included for prize.
- 10th Anniversary Conference
At the end of all programs, a two day conference will be held where the winners of photography contest and the best Wikipedians will be given awards. A number of sessions will be held at the conference to discuss different issues related to Bangla Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
- News of Bangla Wikipedia Photography Contest on a Daily Newspaper (Bengali)
- News about the 10th anniversary of Bangla Wikipedia on a Newspaper (English)
- Inaugural Press Conference: November 24, 2014 (✓
Done | Photos of the event)
- 1. Workshop at Independent University, Chittagong: November 29, 2014 (✓
Done | Photos of the event)
- 2. Workshop at Sylhet Metropolitan University, Sylhet: December 3, 2014 (✓
Done | Photos of the event)
- 3. Workshop at Barisal University, Barisal: December 9, 2014 (✓
Done | Photos of the event)
- 4. Workshop at World University of Bangladesh, Dhaka: December 11, 2014 (✓
Done | Photos of the event)
- 5. Workshop at Barendra University, Rajshahi: December 13, 2014 (✓
Done | Photos of the event)
- 6. Workshop at Khulna University of Engineering & Technology, Khulna: December 15, 2014 (✓
Done | Photos of the event)
- 7. Workshop in Rangpur: December (Working on date), 2014
- 8. Workshop in Dhaka: December (Working on date), 2014
- 9. Workshop in Dhaka: December (Working on date), 2014
- 10. Workshop in Dhaka: December (Working on date), 2014
- School programs: From January 20 to February 28 (Program dates will vary depending upon school authorities' permission)
- Photowalks: From January 20 to February 28
- Bangla Wikipedia Photography Contest: From September 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014 (Ongoing | Event page)
- 10th Anniversary Conference : 2-3 February, 2015
- Please see the event page at Bangla Wikipedia for further details: WP:Bnwiki10
- Event page at Meta: Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration Bangladesh
The 10th anniversary program is will mainly impact Bangla Wikipedia. Apart from Bangla Wikipedia, the program will also impact other Bangla language Wikimedia projects: Bangla Wiktionry, Bangla Wikisource, Bangla Wikibooks and also the Bangla related contents at Wikimedia Commons.
Fit with strategy
- Increase reach: The series of programs will outreach Bangla Wikipedia and other Bangla Wikimedia projects to a great extent, as the programs will be held across seven divisional cities of Bangladesh. The programs will support increased reach and participation through engaging a broad and diverse audience. Bangla Wikimedia projects will be publicized through mainstream media, social media and direct outreach.
- Increase participation: Over the course of two months, the programs will be attended by school and university students, academia, journalists, professionals, well-wishers and general public. This will allow a broader range of public to associate with the local Wikimedia community and contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- Increase quality: The photography contest and photowalks will produce quality photos from across Bangladesh, that will be used to illustrate and improve articles in Wikipedia. Workshops and edit-a-thons in universities will enlighten students to contribute to Wikipedia and create articles.
- Organizational maturity and effectiveness: The organization and hosting the of 10th anniversary celebration programs will give an opportunity to the Bangladeshi Wikimedians for organizational development. The experiences from these programs will help them in the future to hold better events and programs. This will also result in the increase of local Wikimedia community and volunteers.
Measures of success
Bangla Wikipedia had an article count of only 18,000 in January 2012 which is about 33,000 now. We had about 40-50 active and 6-7 very active editors back then, but now it is 100+ active editors and 15-16 very active editors. Number of articles in January 2012 was about 21000 and in august 2014 it was 32000+.
For the 10th anniversary programs, we've considered the following as measures of success:
- We have considered a baseline of 5000 photos in the Photo Contest and 1000 articles in the edit-a-thons. As of 31 October, already more than 3100 photos have been uploaded.
- Number and quality of participants in the events.
- Reflections and coverage of the event in mass media reports and other channels of outreach. We are very hopeful that this effort will enable us to spread the Wikimedia movement throughout Bangladesh.
- Enhanced number of active users (both readers and editors). In most of the cases, we might have to organize the school events in class rooms and we expect to have 300+ attendance in each of the programs. That means, we will be reaching around 6000 students from 20 schools. And in workshops/edit-a-thon programs we expect 100 participants in each program which means 1,000 participants from 10 universities.
- More uploads and content addition to Wikimedia repositories
- Reflections from the participants by way of blog posts and other social networks like facebook, twitter etc. we have focused on reaching to as many people as possible. We could use social networks for outreach. Our Bangla Wikipedia facebook page has 58,000+ fans and Wikimedia Bangladesh facebook page has around 4000 fans and twitter page has 8,000+ followers.
- Follow-up events: Over the period, we have developed communities in most of the 7 divisions of Bangladesh. We have already organized events in 5 of the 7 divisions in Bangladesh where local community members played the key roles. Our next target through these events will be the empowerment those communities so that they can organize outreach programs in their locality on a regular basis.
- Added participation in each succeeding events of tenth anniversary celebrations of Bangla Wikipedia and our expected number of participants will be something like 8000 to 10000.
|Program||Number of participants||Articles/Photos (to be) created/uploaded||Percentage of participant retention||Expected number of participants-turned-contributors|
|University workshops and edit-a-thon||500||500||15%||75|
|Bangla WIkipedia Photography Contest||2200||3550*||5%||110|
*About 600 photos (17%) would be usable across Wikimedia projects
**About 100 photos (25%) would be usable across Wikimedia projects
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- These celebrations will specifically benefit Bengali Wikipedia and all Bengali Wikimedia projects in general. The handbook will help attract contributors for all Bengali Wikimedia projects. The main two days conference will help exchange of ideas and know how between contributors active in different Bengali Wikimedia projects. The pictures captured during the workshops/conference will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons that can be used by any Wikimedia project.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
This project has a high potential to be replicated by other groups. By organizing a self running contest, a hand guide that can be translated and a minimalistic international Wiki meetup, we hope to set a format that other small Wikipedias can follow. It will be a good example for most of the Indic and other language Wikipedias that will celebrate 10 years.
Resources and risks
Bangla Wikipedia 10th anniversary coordination team
- Munir Hasan
- Ali Haidar Khan
- Hasive Chowdhury
- Nasir Khan
- Nahid Sultan
- Moheen Reeyad
- R K Hannan
Evidence of past success in executing similar projects
- Wikipedia Contributor Day in partnership with Grameenphone
- Wikipedia Zero launching press conference
- Activity report 2014
- Activity report 2013
- Activity report 2012
- Activity report 2011
- Activity report 2010
- Lack of time - WM BD executive committee members and the 10th anniversary committee, both consists of people who voluntarily works. Currently WM BD has no full-time or part-time employees. So organizing such a big program by volunteers may cause some problems as not everyone can work full-time.
- Mitigation: We have already officially started recruiting volunteers for WM BD, so new volunteers could be useful for organizing the events. We have already made program plans with opinions from the new volunteers.
- Low participation in the workshop and contest - There is also a risk that past contributors or workshops attendees will no longer participate in the workshops or the contest will have low number of participants.
- Mitigation: We have planned to reach a larger audience than in past years with announcements in media, thus increasing our chances for new participants. The photography contest has already been published in some newspapers an we have informed various photography communities. Furthermore, the anniversary programs will be officially launched with the press conference, where medias will be briefed about the programs.
- Not being able for partnership - In the past, we have experienced some difficulties in making partnerships with some universities for organizing workshops.
- Mitigation: We have recruited and still recruiting volunteers from different universities across Bangladesh, who will be potentially helpful for making partnerships with their own universities as they can closely approach their university authorities.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance. Common items and reporting equipments The items (leftover items, in appropriate cases), devices and reporting equipments will be transferred to Wikimedia Bangladesh after the 10th anniversary programs.
Project budget table
- Please find the Budget table here
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (BDT)||Total (BDT)||USD Total||Notes|
(Subtotal : $4883)
|1||Leaflet||10000||3.50||35000||$437.50||Leaflet will contain brief information about Bangla Wikipedia and WMBD|
|2||Booklet||1500||10||15000||$190.55||Booklet will have detail information about contributing to Bangla Wikipedia and volunteering for WMBD|
|5||Wikipedia T-shirts||300||300||90000||$1125||Tshirts to be given to volunteers, community members and contest winners.|
|6||Wikipedia Mug||300||200||60000||$762.23||Mug will be given to school teachers and volunteers and community members.|
|10||Projection screen with 96X96 tripod||1||10000||10000||$127.03|
|11||Portable sound system||1||15000||15000||$189.56|
|13||Wireless internet modem||3||2500||7500||$95.11|
|14||Internet subscription for 3 three months||3||1500||4500||$57.06||Each modem would need 1500 BDT for three months of internet subscription.|
|Equipments for reporting|
(Subtotal : $110.44)
|1||Notebooks/Pads||40||60||2400||$30.51||Notebooks for keeping records of expenditure or distribution of accessories.|
|2||Scanner (Canon Lide110)||1||4300||4300||$54.53||Scanner will be needed for scanning receipts and other documents for reporting purposes.|
(Subtotal : $400)
|4||Transportation cost of community members||30||200||6000||$75||Community members who will be in charge of conducting schools programs|
(Subtotal : $1886.48)
|2||Food cost for photowalk participants||100||1000||100000||$1257.66||Estimated 10 participants in each photowalk. 10 photowalks to be held.|
|3||Local transportation cost for photowalk participants||100||500||50000||$628.82||Estimated 10 participants in each photowalk. 10 photowalks to be held.|
(Subtotal : 131.61$)
|1||Best Wikipedian Award||3||2000||6000||$75|
|2||Special Nominations Award||7||500||3500||$44.02|
|Bangla Wikipedia Photography Contest|
(Subtotal : 730$)
|1||Award for best three photographs||3||1000||3000||$37.73|
|2||Prize-money for best three photographs||3||20000+15000+10000||45000||$565.95|
|3||Highly Commendable Awards||10||500||5000||$62.88|
|4||Award for the judges||5||1000||5000||$62.88|
|Scholarships for Wikipedians (15 scholarship will be awarded to Wikipedians from around Bangladesh and 10 for the Indian to attend the 10th anniversary conference to be held in Dhaka)|
(Subtotal : $2983)
|1||Transportation cost||15||1500(including return)||22500||$286.06||For Bangladeshi Wikipedians|
|2||Food cost (for 2 days)||15||3000 (1500 for each day)||45000||$572.11||For Bangladeshi Wikipedians|
|3||Accommodation (for 2 days)||15||4000 (2000 for each day)||30000||$750||For Bangladeshi Wikipedians|
|1||Transportation cost||10||4000(including return)||40000||$500||For Indian Wikipedians|
|2||Food cost (for 2 days)||10||3000 (1500 for each day)||30000||$375||For Indian Wikipedians|
|3||Accommodation (for 2 days)||10||4000 (2000 for each day)||40000||$500||For Indian Wikipedians|
|10th Anniversary Conference|
(Subtotal : 312$)
|4||Volunteers' food cost||for 3 days (2 days of program and the previous day)||15000||$187|
|5||Volunteers' local transportation cost||for 3 days (2 days of program and the previous day)||10000||$125.76|
|Total (without contingency cost): 9,14,922.40 BDT ($11,436.53)|
10% Contingency cost on total: 91,492 BDT ($1143.65)
Grand Total (with contingency cost): 10,06,414.40 BDT (USD $12,580)
Total cost of project
Total amount requested
Additional sources of revenue
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- Permission for use of Wikimedia logo and brand in outreach efforts.
- Supply of Wikipedia branding souvenirs like stickers etc.,
- A blog post in Wikimedia blog regarding the ten year growth of Bengali Wikipedia.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- I think it will be effective and helpful to increase active users in Bangla Wikipedia. It may attract mass people about Wikipedia. More uploads and contents will be added to Wikimedia repositories. Moheen Reeyad (talk) 17:32, 5 October 2014 (UTC)
- This program has been planned on the occasion of 10th anniversary of Bengali Wikipedia, which is of course a big milestone to cheer. However, the uniqueness of this plan is that, it not only focuses on celebration of the 10th anniversary but also targets important movement priorities such as awareness building, volunteer mobilization, editor training, content creation, encouraging diversification etc. More specifically, this plan touches almost all of the strategic priorities of Wikimedia movement. The program, if successfully implemented, will have definite impact on Increasing Participation (the programs will be held in schools, colleges, universities and also targeting general public), Improving Quality (an array of programs such as workshops, edit-a-thons, photo-walks, photography contest will be held) and Increasing Reach (programs will be held in all 7 divisions of Bangladesh). In addition to that, young volunteers from Bangladesh are at the forefront of planning and execution of the programs, veteran volunteers will be playing supporting role and will only move in where needed. As a result, it will help create next generation of volunteer leaders for Bangladeshi Wikimedia community and it will be a great achievement in terms of Stabilizing Infrastructure in the local context. We also expect that involving young volunteers in the driving seat of this plan will Encourage Innovation as well. Overall, I am very hopeful about this plan and congratulate the young community members for coming up with such a good plan. Best of luck. Ali Haidar Khan (Tonmoy) (talk) 21:19, 6 October 2014 (UTC)
- This is really a very praiseworthy and ambitious step. It'll surely enrich Bangla Wikipedia and therefore enhance the content of Wikipedia. More people will be able to know about Wikipedia. They will use it and can be interested in contributing. I hope the project will be a great success. Best of luck! ANKAN GHOSH DASTIDER (talk) 06:28, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
- Wikimedian in Bagladesh have been working to spread the words to the mass for quite sometime with very limited resources. This grant will help them to get the resources they need to make the awareness of wiki movements to the mass, that they dreamed of. That's why I support this project very much. Tarunno (talk) 07:47, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
- Its really effective and helpful plan to increase active users in Bengali Wikipedia. This program based on 10th anniversary of Bengali Wikipedia but its a good idea to encourage more people to involve with Bengali Wikipedia. In this program planned lots of activities to be held next different area of Bangladesh. So, it will help create a new group of young community member, next generation of volunteers. I am really hopeful about this plan. Hope we do best based on this program & i support this project. --Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive • talk • 08:38, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
- It'll be helpful for Bengali Wikipedia's Development. Now they don't have enough editors, but this kind of work will help the community to get more editors and that will help the wiki to become a rich wiki. --Pratyya (Hello!) 13:16, 9 October 2014 (UTC)
- great initiative. Hope this will help to create more user and editor for bangla wiki.-- --Munirujjaman (talk) 13:13, 19 October 2014 (UTC)
- Hope that,this project will have a great impact to increase both the user and the reader of bangla wikipedia. School program ,university engagement and photowalks will also enrich bnwiki.--Rafaell Russell (talk) 17:55, 22 October 2014 (UTC)