Grants:PEG/UG MAI/Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Nepal
- To increase and improve the amount of freely-licensed material related to Nepal protected natural sites in Wikimedia Commons. We should encourage the Photographer to get in to this so that they can become regular uploader, contributors to Wikimedia Commons and Wikimedia Projects.
- Creating and editing commons pages with the necessary information about the project.
- Constituting the jury for the competition.
- Promoting the competition through the use of social networks and photo-oriented web sites.
- Uploading of photographs on Wikimedia Commons.
- Evaluating the photographs uploaded to make the decision.
- Organizing an event to award the winners of the competition.
- Write a brief blog about the competition.
- Submitting the best photographs to participate in the global competition.
- Evaluating the project and compiling the report.
- Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia in Nepal, and indirectly all Wikimedia Projects.
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- The project fits with the mission of Wikimedia because it produces new photos about natural heritage from Nepal.
- This contest reaches many people who have never uploaded a picture to Wikimedia Commons.
- When people see that a group of volunteers can organize a successful contest with a small amount of money they trust in us. The funds are efficiently used, as they generate many pictures, participants and media mentions.
- Every year we learn something new and improve our skills and projects.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- At least 1300 natural photographs uploaded to commons from all over Nepal.
- At least 50 new contributors takes part in the competition.
- Coverage of the event in mass media reports and other channels of outreach.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
- We have local organizing team to organize the whole events.
- Organizing team
- Bijay Chaurasia- Coordinator
- Biplab Anand
- Nabin Sapkota- Member of International WLE organising team
- Nirmal Dulal- WLE 2015 in Nepal- Coordinator
- We have successfully organized several successful events in past like- Wiki Loves Earth 2014 in Nepal, Wiki Loves Earth 2015 in Nepal, Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 in Nepal, Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Nepal and Wiki Loves Monuments 2015 in Nepal.
- Difficulty in recruiting new volunteers and increasing the participation from previous years.
- Technical difficulties with pictures uploaded.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
- 1 USD = 108.00 NPR as of 17 April 2016.
|Number||Item description||Unit||Qty||Cost per unit NPR /USD||Total cost USD||WMF contribution (USD)||Other sources (USD)||Notes|
|1.1||Main Prizes||per nomination||3||280.00||280.00||3 best photos: 3 for top-3 best photos|
|1.2||Additional Prizes||person||1||47.00 USD||47.00||47.00||Prizes for the top contributor by numbers of photographs uploads. This encourages more people to actually participate in the contest, and upload more photographs to win.|
|1.3||Special prizes (WLE T-Shirt)||person||10||93.00 USD||93.00||93.00||The prizes is for the top ten contributors by numbers of photographs upload.|
|1.3||Special prizes (WLE Certificate)||person||115||107.00 USD||107.00||107.00||The certificate is for the all contributors who takes part in the competition.|
|2. Jury and Award Ceremony||688.00||688.00|
|2.1||WLE T-Shirt||Activities/ Main Event||10||100.00 USD||100.00||100.00||WLE T-shirt for Volunteers and Jury Members.|
|2.2||Hall rent||event day||1||100.00 USD||100.00||100.00||Hall rent for the award ceremony in Rajbiraj.|
|2.3||Food & Beverages||event day||1||185.00 USD||185.00||185.00|
|2.4||Travel expenses (for jury members)||person||5||278.00 USD||278.00||278.00||To the awards ceremony.|
|2.5||Transportation expenses (within the city)||way||Volunteers||25.00 USD||25.00||25.00|
|3. Prizes delivery||50.00||50.00|
|3.1||Post expenses and telephone charges||project||1||50.00 USD||50.00||50.00||Sending prizes and certificates to users who could not attend the ceremony.|
|4. Wiki Loves Earth outreach||345.00||300.00||45.00|
|4.1||Wiki Loves Earth: Local Outreach events||project||300.00 USD||300.00||300.00||We expect to organise local outreach events in at least 3 cities/towns. This will include (depending on the city/town): where we organise a Photo Walk with our volunteers and photographers. Cost will include: travel and accommodation in respective cities/towns for workshops. We might organise more events if we get financial support of local partners.|
|4.2||Meetup Space||project||45.00||45.00||For the discussion among the volunteers and Meetup. We expect that our local partners provide the cost.|
- Total cost of project
- 1610.00 USD
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- WMF- 1565.00 USD
- Local Partners- 45.00 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Local Partners will provide the meetup space for which the cost is 45.00 USD.
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- As a member of the international WLE team I support this grant proposal. Nepalese team has an excellent track record of organising Wiki Loves Earth in their country, and they succeeded in organising a good contest last year even despite difficult post-earthquake conditions. I am sure that they will be able to organise a successful project this year as well and reach their goals — NickK (talk) 06:09, 3 May 2016 (UTC)