Grants:PEG/User:A1/15th Anniversary WikiConcert
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Lack of free music in particular classical vocal music in Ukrainian language
What is your solution?
To encourage musicians to participate in Wikimedia movement
To invite more musicians to contribute to Wikimedia projects, in particular to prepare and upload audio (or video) of Ukrainian-language classical music.
To organise an Anniversary wikiconcert, aimed to summurise all "World classic in Ukrainian" project achivements made before, to present a new piece "Wikipedia Hymn", written specially for the event and to plan our future events. The concert is planned in the Art Hall of Ministry of Education.
Wikimedia commons, Ukrainian wikipedia, Ukrainian wikisource
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
Measures of success
Need target-setting tips? Note: in addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- 30 minutes audio (video) of free music uploaded to Wikimedia commons from this concert.
- 100 minutes audio (video) of free music uploaded to Wikimedia commons during next year.
- 100 people attended the event.
- 3 new events such as wikiconcerts, wikiworkshops, contests during a year dedicated to music-related content in Wikipedia.
Resources and risks
- User:A1, initiator of the project
- uk:User:Григорій Ганзбург, organises a number of notable performances
- uk:User:Павло Зубов, will act as soloist for Wikipedia hymn
- uk:User:Pavlo1, offers his help for Wikipedia Hymn performance
- uk:User:Igor Yalovecky, assists with organisation and offers his help with inviting participants from Kharkiv
- User:Jbuket, assists with press-relise and publications in "Культура і життя" newspaper
some notable musicians:
- Natalia Svyrydenko and her ensemble
- Oksana Dondyk and her ensemble
- Natalia Krechko
- laureats of "Chestnut piano" contest
partners of the project:
- Ministry of education and science of Ukraine
- "Культура і життя" newspaper
- "Жінка-УКРАЇНКА" inernet site
- "Music-Review Ukraine", the Portal of academic music of Ukraine
Three concerts was organised during 2013-2015 years - see wmua:Classic/en page and also some detailed information in wmua:Микола Лисенко та його сучасники, wmua:Vocal concert 15-05-2013, and also a collection of Audio, video and photos from past wiki-concerts.
- It is hard to quantify a real impact. Real perspectives of music project depends on many factors including social and political situation in the Ukraine in general. In 2014-2015 musical projects was not as active as could be due to the Euromaidan and later due to the war in the Eastern Ukraine.
- There is some risk if some recordings from the concert will be not good. There are two ways to minimize this risks. First one - is to invite just professional musicians. Second one is to make some recordings before the concert during a rehearsals. Also it is important to have at least 2 cameras in the event if some accident will occur with one of them.
- Travel roundtrip from Kharkiv to Kyiv for 2 persons who will take part in a concert: 70 USD
- Preparation of scores for musicians 30 USD
- Honorarium for vocal and instrumental ensembles (they will perform "Wikipedia Hymn"): 100 USD
- Food and beverages: 50 USD
- Equipment renting and transportation (sound amplification, microphones, drums): 50 USD
- Printing posters and booklets: 50 USD
- Total Budget: 350 USD
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- currently depend on WMUA decision
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Hall renting is free of charge
- Most of musicians will perform as volunteers
- Video and photo will be recorded by volunteers
- Honorarium may be paid from wikipedians personally
- Equipment renting as well as roundtrip from Kharkiv to Kyiv for 2 persons possibly may be paid by Wikipedia Ukraine but the final decision was not made and as for present moment this perspective seems to be doubtful. A1 (talk) 10:14, 7 January 2016 (UTC)
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- Information about the concert in Wikimedia blog after the concert
- Probably I will use an audio recorder that was acquired by Wikimedia Ukraine for musical events ("wiki-concerts") as a part of Grants:PEG/WM UA/Free Vocal Music concert A1 (talk) 10:14, 7 January 2016 (UTC)
Most of participants will act as volunteers. The Art Hall of the Ministry of Education is also free of charge for us.
Firstly, the concert could envolve and energise musicians for new thinkings and creative plans to prepare music for Wikimedia project and writing new articles to Wikipedia about music. Secondly, as this concert in planned in Ministry of Education hall, it is expected we could try to establish a partnership with the Ministry in some educational meening. Thirdly (the last but not least) some pieces will be performed for the first time, including "Wikipedia Hymn", and this pieces we are planning to upload to Wikimedia commons. The "Wikipedia Hymn" seems to be the first composition devoted to Wikipedia.
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the talk page of this proposal).
- Community member: add your name and rationale here.