Grants:PEG/Vishwanatha Badikana/Kannada Wikipedia Thirteen years Celebrations/Report
- 1 Project status
- 2 Activities and lessons learned
- 3 Outcomes and impact
- 4 Photo gallery
- 5 Reporting and documentation of expenditures
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
During 19th Kannada Wikipedians meetup organized at Bangalore, 18 Kannada Wikipedians met and suggested for celebrating 13th anniversary of Kannada Wikipedia. It was also suggested that this activity should be associated with several editathons and photo-walks. Each of the Wikipedians shared responsibilities and this page was used as responsibility allocation. Four focused editathons were organised in four different cities in Karnataka converging to the celebrations. Female Writers and Achievers of Coastal Karnataka was the theme of editathon at Mangalore, Science related topics was theme at Bengaluru editathon, Kannada literature was the theme for en:Mysore editathon and Mechanical engineering was the theme at Sagara editathon. Photowalks were organised at Sagara and Pilikula (Magaluru). Followup activities happened at the four cities again. Full report of the main event is available in Kannada here.
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects, or that may change the way you are doing this project?
- What went well, or is going well?
- We used Editathon worklist in organising the pre-event editathons. We kept in mind Photography guidelines while taking up photowalks. Almost the entire community was part of the event either physically or virtually. In all, about 70 new Wikipedians, 235 articles, 2.226289 MB of content was added (excluding photos).
- What did not go well, or is not going well?
- Internet connectivity has been an issue which was a major interruption at times during editathons, but was fixed. Though it was flaky all through during the main event.All the community members could not be involved physically as some of them were from far off places like Mumbai.
- From your answers above, do you plan to change anything you are doing as your project continues?
- As the editathons were focused on content creation, and no emphasis was made on empowering existing editors; hereafter an advanced editor session involving introducing new Wikipedia tools, scripts, gadgets, etc will also be included.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- To commemorate 13 years of Kannada Wikipedia and to strengthen Kannada Wikipedia community, its outreach efforts. To increase reach of Kannada Wikipedia through print and electronic media, social networking.
- Do you expect to reach your project's goal? Why or why not?
- The project goal has been reached as we have celebrated 13 years celebrations with 113 participants - a mix of existing and new Wikipedians at Mangalore. About 9 media mentions came in print media.
Progress towards targets and goals
Measures of success
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|4 thematic editathons at 4 cities||8 thematic editathons at the 4 cities (one followup each)||As it was suggested on talk page to do one follow up activity each, 4 more were editathons are done.|
|10 media mentions||9 media mentions||blogs are not counted, otherwise it would be more than target.|
|four projects on Kannada Wikipedia||six projects strarted||two more projects were created during editathons|
|50 thematic photos to be added||More than 200 photos were added||Visit to Pilikula Nisargadhama at Mangalore resulted in more photos|
|offline Wikipedia (kiwix) to be distributed to 10 locations||50 flash drives with kiwix are created, 20 disbursed so far||Follow up and updating of zim file will be done time to time|
For more information, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||16||Almost all of the very active editors involved|
|2. # of new editors||70||Due to internet issues, many participants could not create user accounts and do the minimal editing.|
|3. # of individuals involved||113||This excludes the project team.|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||275||This includes the images uploaded to commons only.|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||235||This is the only count of new articles created.|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||2.226289 MB||This does not include the images.|
- Outcomes of individual editathons
|Place||Date(s)||Ediathon theme||Bytes added||Pages created||Newly registered||Number of edits|
|Mangaluru||December 10, 11 and 12, 2015||Female Writers and Achievers of Coastal Karnataka||204167||100||16||1223|
|Bengaluru||December 19 and 20, 2015||Science related topics||600663||63||3||823|
|Mysuru||January 11, 12 and 13, 2016||Kannada literature||159942||43||10||526|
|Sagar||January 25, 26 and 27, 2016||Mechanical engineering||194019||108||6||791|
|Mangaluru||March 10 and 11, 2016||Medicinal and useful plants||345474||102||5||1379|
|Sagara||March 12 and 13, 2016||Mechanical engineering||178846||23||0||536|
|Bengaluru||April 9 and 10, 2016||Science related topics||711100||151||0||954|
- Charts for Outcomes
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project is going according to these measures.
- Though new articles created could be easily evaluated, how many existing articles on Kannada Wikipedia have been improved and by what means is difficult to evaluate. So, as per new articles added, this project brought in a good momentum to Kannada Wikipedia.
- While doing this project, have you decided to track any other measures of success not listed in your grant submission? If so, please list them here.
- Involvement of active Wikipedians in discussions at Village pump, exchange of barn stars and thanks on wikipedia. These would be measured after a 6 month period time on a monthly basis. And that would give a clear idea on community involvement in such topics.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
';Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by Project and Event Grants program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
Expenses table as per broad budget lines :
|Budget line item||Expenses (in INR)|
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Food||Masala Dosa, Soft Drink||49||INR|
|4||Food||Gobi Manchurian,PNR. BTR. Masala,Butter Roti||214||INR|
|5||Food||Idli Vada, Buns,Bournvita,Coffee||159||INR|
|8||Food||Mosambi, South Indian ML, North Indian ML, Chapathi||290||INR|
|18||Transportation||Machanical Editathon - 1st half,Travelling bills,Mechanical Editathon - 2nd Half||6240||INR|
|19||Food||Car rent,tea,breakfast,lunch,stay,DTP and internet, Courier cost,||4280||INR|
|21||Food||Masala Dosa, Idli, uppit,Coffee||145||INR|
|22||Food||Vishumess & Caterers||900||INR|
|25||Miscellaneous expenses||Vijnan Computer training and DTP||350||INR|
|26||Transportation||Anitha PH's Bus Charge||305||INR|
|29||Transportation||Vidyadar C.A's Bus Charges||305||INR|
|32||Food||Lunch,tes, lunch, DTP & Internet Courier Cost||1350||INR|
|34||Food||Mini North, Ice Cream Scoop||600||INR|
|35||Miscellaneous expenses||Vijnan Computer training and DTP cost||300||INR|
|40||Transportation||Bus(Mangaluru to mysuru)||398||INR|
|41||Transportation||Bus(mysuru to Mangaluru )||401||INR|
|42||Transportation||cab(sg palaya to texas)||134||INR|
|43||Miscellaneous expenses||Shawl(nutan silk)||298||INR|
|44||Food||Hotel hari kiran(lunch)||690||INR|
|47||Food||Hotel simbly south||2035||INR|
|48||Miscellaneous expenses||Books from Mysoure university||5599||INR|
|49||Food||Phalguni cashew centre||419||INR|
|50||Miscellaneous expenses||Karnataka Banka intial deposite||1000||INR|
|51||Food||Hotel hari kiran(lunch)||240||INR|
|53||Transportation||Bus(bangalore to mangaluru)||775||INR|
|54||Transportation||Bus (mangaluru to bangalore)||775||INR|
|59||Food||S.I. Meal, Parota, Kinley 2 ltr||298||INR|
|61||Transportation||B.G Shivaprash Mirji H.S.D||2000||INR|
|62||Food||Egg Fried rise, Full meals||315||INR|
|63||Food||Coffee, Mineral Water, Set Dosa, Onion Dosa, Idly 2 Nos||220||INR|
|65||Food||Shringeri Caterings (Lunch,Tea)||9000||INR|
|66||Food||Kings Kourt Hotel ( Veg Biriyani,Curd Rice, Crispy Fried Babycorn)||505||INR|
|67||Accommodation||Hotel (Atithi Graha)||1500||INR|
|68||Transportation||Bus (Mangaluru to Mysuru)||562||INR|
|69||Transportation||Bus (Mysuru to Mangaluru)||462||INR|
|74||Food||Hotel simbly south||1110||INR|
|78||Food||St.Agnes college canteen||5600||INR|
|80||Food||Hotel hari kiran(lunch)||4580||INR|
|81||Food||V S caterers||27000||INR|
|82||Transportation||Bus(Bengaluru to Mangaluru)3||2484||INR|
|83||Transportation||Bus(mysuru to Mangaluru )||525||INR|
|84||Food||St.Agnes college canteen||11,600||INR|
|86||Accommodation||Hotel suman residency||10,890||INR|
|87||Food||lunch(with out bills)||375||INR|
|88||Food||Snacks(with out bills)||325||INR|
|89||Transportation||Bus (mangalore to bangalore)||761||INR|
|92||Transportation||Uber (Bharat nagar to Mejestic)||181||INR|
|93||Transportation||Uber (Yashwanthpur to bharat Nagar)||139||INR|
|94||Transportation||Bus (Mangaluru to Bengaluru)||832||INR|
|95||Transportation||Bus (Bengaluru to Mudabidre)||697||INR|
|96||Miscellaneous expenses||Internet Data, Posters, Crown Rubber Stamp, Opening bank Account, Invitation Card, Digital Designing, Cirtificate Printing, Banner Printing, Petrol, Bislari mineral water, Books For Guest of Honors, DLINK Wireless Router, Photographs for the celebration.||10063||INR|
|100||Transportation||Bus(bangalore to Manglore)||761||INR|
|101||Accommodation||Hotel suman residency||11,064||INR|
|105||Transportation||Bus(mangalore to bangalore)||754||INR|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- INR 237,916
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- INR 237,916
- Total amount spent on this project
- INR 241,832
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- INR 237,916
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- YES. The additional expenses were taken from CIS-A2K's Kannada FLA funds
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.