Grants:PEG/WM BE/Public facing Activities 2016 S1/Report
- 1 Project status
- 2 Activities and lessons learned
- 3 Outcomes and impact
- 4 Impact
- 5 Reporting and documentation of expenditures
- Are you complying with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Do you expect this project to be completed by the date specified in the approved grant submission?
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
Activities and lessons learned
In the past period (January-December 2016) we organised 19 open edit-a-thons, 8 workshops for closed public, had 2 education collaborations, gave 45 presentations about Wikipedia/Wikimedia, organised/participated in 13 other open events, organised 12 wikimeets, had 2 general assemblies, 4 board meetings, 88 organisational meetings with external partners or internal meetings as part of a project, published 2 newsletters (each in 3 languages), published 17 reports, 26 other publications (press releases, announcements, official letters), 4 times a volunteer followed a training, 27 people participated in/presented at 14 conferences or conference like events, organised 2 photo contests, had 21 photography sessions, and 1 double writing week. This resulted in (registered, among more output) implementation of Freedom of Panorama (FOP) in Belgium, 1737 previously deleted files restored on Commons thanks to FOP, in 6027 new files, 418 new articles in 15 languages and 52 largely improved articles (photo contests + Brussels writing weeks). Another outcome is the addition of 30,000 artworks from 8 Flemish museums to Wikidata + a whitepaper being written about how to do so, another 456 PIDs added to Wikidata, as well as the almost entire collection of one museum in Brussels in Wikidata. Other projects and activities also had output, but those output is not registered or project is still ongoing.
List of activities
For an overview of all activities done by Wikimedia Belgium on location are available at Activities.
Some remarkable activities were:
- Two Public Domain Day events
- Brussels writing weeks (info)
- Multiple edit-a-thons
- Freedom of Panorama event on first day it came into force (info)
- Dutch Wikipedia printed in Ghent (art project)
- Two classes of students in colleges/universities in the education program
The brochure created as part of Wiki Loves Art has, besides in communication with cultural institutions, also been used towards members of the parliament of Belgium. After campaigning for about a year now, on 16 June 2016 the parliament of Belgium voted in favour of the adoption of Freedom of Panorama in Belgium.
Fragmented or unavailable
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects, or that may change the way you are doing this project?
- What went well, or is going well?
- Collaborating went well, reaching out to GLAMs started to grow, education program started, done great activities, were sponsored and we started to make a difference in Belgium.
- What did not go well, or is not going well?
- Administration was a mess when it was taken over in the 2nd half of 2016, as well as issues with how funds have been spent in first half of 2016.
Outcomes and impact
Measures of success
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project is going according to these measures.
- According to these measures the project was very little successful.
- While doing this project, have you decided to track any other measures of success not listed in your grant submission? If so, please list them here.
- If we ignore the original listed measures, and look at what we did and what for impact it had, we were successful. ...
Remember that you will need to report on Global Metrics in your final report.
Remember that you will need to report on your project's impact on WMF's mission and strategic goals in your final report.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
Remember that you will need to send receipts or documentation of all project expenses to WMF at the time your final report is submitted.
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by Project and Event Grants program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|Running general and administrative costs|
|Website maintenance, hosting costs, email hosting||72.07||725||Euro|
|Communication (postal mail, telephone)||382.97||215||Euro|
|General Administrative expenses||577.50||400||Euro|
|Wikipedia 15 event||0||200||Euro|
|Organisation of 5 Wiki Saturdays||0||1053||Euro|
|Organisation of general Assembly||224.42||406||Euro|
|WM BE Training Day: for board members and for volunteers||0||562||Euro|
|Presence of two board members at Wikimania Event||632.33||600||Euro|
|Not budgeted costs|
|Training for volunteer(s)||108.90||0||Euro|
|Freedom of Panorama event & preparations||56.04||0||Euro|
|Public Domain Day event||32.80||0||Euro|
|Expenses unaccounted for||228.56||0||Euro|
- Total amount spent on this project by others (sponsored) (with currency)
- above EUR 6000
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project (with currency)
- EUR 3983.20
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- EUR 516.80
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- Returned to WMF or used as part of Grants:Project/WM BE/Public facing activities 2017, depending what is most suitable for WMF.