- Our Internet services have been hosted in spaces from members since our foundation. Now the chapter has grown and needs an exclusive server to host our tools and websites; we also have a team of technical-interested members who want to improve our websites and host new tools for the chapter and Wikimedia projects too.
- Our technical team is composed by members like-jem-, Abián, Platonides, Mangelrp, El Pantera, Pmachon and Wschutz. The service that we have planned to pay for is the following: https://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex40
- We are planning on different activities in several fields, for example:
- Design, creation and maintenance of a backup (dump) of several local wikis existing in Spain about towns or cities - so called "localpedias", e.g., Madripedia or Wikisalamanca -.
Some of these wikis are disappearing due to a lack of proper maintenance and oblivion, and we think that the knowledge they contain is important to have it backed up.
- Hosting and maintenance of sites for projects sponsored and/or partially/fully supported by Wikimedia España, such as, Wikimedia Love Monuments or Wikimedia España's main web.
- Support and computational platform for research projects of Wikimedia España members and other external contributors in collaboration with the formers.
- We believe that we can impact all Wikimedia projects. We are currently hosting and maintaining sites like wikilm.es for Wiki Loves Monuments in Spain with borrowed limited resources.
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- This project will improve the quality of the contributions of our technical involved members. They are now hosting their Wikimedia projects related-tools in limited external or personal servers. This server will provide a better service for them and for the whole chapter.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- We expect to host all the dumps/backups of Spanish localpedias. That would be a great success for the first year of the server.
- We can also consider a success the better service that a new server would provide to the Spanish chapter. The creation of a new website with a redefined blog is a high priority task for us. We will finally host our website in our own server and it will run Wordpress, leaving Blogger.
- This new website will make easy to promote our activities and create contents about the chapter in several Spanish languages, and we will integrate our Twitter and Facebook profiles in the new site and blog. We will not be afraid anymore about posting our blog links in Menéame (kind of Spanish Reddit), something that usually makes our blog to collapse.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
- Our server team is composed by: -jem-, Abián, Platonides, Mangelrp, El Pantera, Pmachon and Wschutz
- Wikimedia España has already completed 4 grants requests (2 of them for WLM)
- We have tried to minimize the risk of this project by creating a solid team of technical members. These will assure that we will not be depending on just 2-3 members for our tech-stuff.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Registration||hetzner.de - EX 40||1||49||49||EUR||Registration in the hosting service.|
|2||Amount per month||12||49||588||EUR||€49/month x 12 months|
|3||Thawte SSL 123 Certificate 256 Bit - domain validated||1||44||44||EUR|
- Total cost of project
- 681 EUR
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- 681 EUR
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.