- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimédia Magyarország Egyesület
- Grant contact name
- Bence Damokos
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Grant contact title (position)
- board member
- Project lead name
- Gábor Hanák
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Project lead title (position), if any
- board member
- Full project name
- "10 years of Wikipedia" conference
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
- 30 April 2010
- Provisional completion date
- 15 January 2011
- Venue rental: $1,500
- Venue infrastructure (internet, sound, video): $300
- Catering: $600
- Welcome kit and other conference material: $400
- Other: $200
- Based on one-day auditorium rent prices at Corvinus University of Budapest. We are looking into other venues and there is good hope that we strike a special deal in which case we would spend less on the venue and we could allocate the remaining amount to other cost categories of the conference if needed.
We are planning to organize a conference to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Wikipedia. The aim of the conference is to engage academia and the education sector as well as to drive media attention to our mission. We would also like to engage the various scientific associations and like-minded local NGOs.
The presentations would among others cover the use of Wikipedia in research and educational work (in universities and through the engagement of specialized scientific- and teacher associations). A session will probably be devoted to the general history of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement in general.
The goal of this project is to organize a successful conference with the participation of researches and members of the educational community and driving media attention to the 10th anniversary of the Wikimedia movement and our chapter.
As the project is partly aimed at university educators, we would very much like to invite Frank Schulenburg or Pete Forsyth as keynote speakers to speak about the Public Policy Initiative and its first results - we hope that this example could encourage local educators in participating or initiating similar local projects.
Fit to strategy
The project will increase credibility in the academic sector and by engaging this sector in participation, it will help quality as well. Being able to organize this conference will be a cornerstone of our organizational development.
We believe this conference will provide opportunity to establish contact with major stakeholders in education and with specialized educational organizations as well as the various scientific and technical associations that have an interest in having quality content on Wikipedia in their particular fields. We also think this will generate positive media attention both for our chapter and the movement.
This conference will form an appropriate part of the worldwide Wiki-X celebrations taking place.
Measures of success
We will consider this project a success if we are able to hold a conference on the 10th anniversary of Wikipedia. We will keep a keen eye on the number of media impressions generated and will keep track of the number of attending guests and organizations.