Grant request details
- Are you an organization, a group, or an individual?
- Organization (chapter)
- Please provide your name, or the name of the group or organization requesting this grant.
- Wikimédia Magyarország
- Please provide the name (or username) of the main contact for this grant request. You do not need to disclose your legal name publicly.
- For groups and organizations only: Please provide the name (or username) of a second contact for this grant request.
- User:Vince (WMHU)
- Please link to any relevant documents, including your website if you have one.
- wikimedia.hu (Hungarian)
- Official project name
- Covering most of the administrative costs of Wikimedia Hungary for the calendar year 2014
- Project start date
- 1 July 2014
- Project completion date
- 31 December, 2014
- Please describe the project in a few sentences
This grant request is to reallocate underspent funds from your FDC grant to a PEG grant. These are not actually "reserves" and may not be counted as such. Our non-WMF funds have restrictions, which is why we cannot fund all operational expenses from those reserves. (for example: 70% of the "1%" tax donations have to be spent on projects, only 30% can be spent on operational costs)
April-May-June will be covered from these non-WMF funds, donations received up to date and reserves.
Due to overplanning, underspending and unexpectedly well sponsored events in the past two years, Wikimedia Magyarország got into a financial situation where an FDC Grant would be unnecessary for 2014, but still we can not cover all of our expenses, especially our administrative (overhead) costs on our own. This grant is aimed to cover (for Q3 and Q4 of the calendar year 2014) 1) the salary of our employee 2) the rental fee of our office 3) the general operative costs (printing, internet, postal fees, etc.) with an overplanning sufficient enough for the case if we would not be able to find a suitable new office at the same (low) price (if we need to move at all, details below) or otherwise for unexpected expenses (whatever happens) and to avoid underplanning. Obviously if anything happens that alters our below plans more than allowed, it will be reported as early as we learn about it.
Please request your grant in your local currency. WMF is able to grant funds in many currencies.
- Amount and currency requested
- 5,000,000 HUF
- Please provide an equivalent amount in US dollars using the exchange rate provided by Oanda on the date you open this request
For organizations only
This section only needs to be completed by organizations requesting grants. Individuals and groups that are not incorporated do not need to complete this section.
- Are you an incorporated organization able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country? For-profit organizations are not eligible to receive grants through the PEG program.
- Does your organization currently employ or engage any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors? If yes, please tell us how many staff or contractors you employ or engage, along with their functions or a link to your staff page. For example, "2 full time program managers and 1 part-time contractor accountant at 50% FTE each."
- 1 full time office manager (administrative employee)
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- Wikimedia Magyarország will be able to actively support its members and volunteers by offering them office space and administrative support in executing their projects in 2014
As we did in 2013, in 2014 our main activities supported by this grant would be:
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
We will consider this project a success if
- not a single project or request gets rejected due to insufficient capacity or inability to administratively support it on the level needed to succeed in its goals
- reporting and other administrative taks and duties (internal, national and WMF) can go on as usual (we still have an employee)
- general assemblies, board meetings and other Wikipedian project meetups can be held at our office as before anytime it suits us, even on extreme short notice
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
As in 2013, in 2014 our main activities supported by this grant would be:
- wiki/p/media merchandise (localized badges, T-shirts, cups, etc.) produced and offered as awards and gifts for article writing contests, WLM, WLPA and other events and for other awards ceremonies and for special, promotional reasons
- other promotional materials (how to edit Wikipedia brochures, project-related gifts, etc.)
- space and/or organizational support for any meetups and project related meetings and awards ceremonies
- space and/or organizational support for other like-minded organizations
- project travel grants (travelling related to a WMHU-project, like WikiCamp 2014 - this is a microgrants program since 2008)
- non-project related travel grants (Wikimania, Wikiconference, Finno-Ugric meetup, CEE-meeting, Free Software Conference, etc. - this is a microgrants program since 2008)
- minor catering (snacks, soft drink)
- organizational support for projects
- other on-demand support
- staying in full compliance with the Hungarian (and/or EU) laws, rules and regulations (reporting, monitoring changes, bylaw and policy review, etc.)
- staying in full compliance with WMF and (if any) other partner/donor agreements (from the administrative point of view)
Note, Wikimedia Hungary will organize only one event in 2014, in cooperation with Wikimedia Serbia: WikiCamp 2014. The rest - as in 2013 - lies in the hands of our members and volunteers and depends on their level of activity, however we do offer the level of suppport requested to any of them from board endorsement to organizational support, award gifts, etc. See above.
Types of projects supported with examples from 2014
- Article writing contests
- hu:Wikipédia:Wikimédia Magyarország/Kelet-ázsiai szócikkíró verseny 2014 (topic: East-Asia)
- hu:Wikipédia:Wikimédia Magyarország/Lengyel szócikkíró verseny (topic: anything Polish, about Poles or Poland)
- hu:Wikipédia:Első világháború műhely/Szócikkíró verseny (Topic: First World War)
- Photohunts and/or similar contests
- WLM (future event as of now)
- Wiki Loves Public Arts (even though the international round was cancelled, we'll combine it with WLM as we have living partnership agreements for both events)
- Community meetups
- smaller and larger community meetups, award ceremonies, etc. (for example the inauguration meetup of Wikiproject:Gastronomy)
- General project support
- Offering space and support for the general assembly of Creative Commons Hungary (as we did in 2013 - actually we "resurrected" them) and other like-minded organizations
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost HUF||Total cost USD||Notes|
|1||Salary||1 FTE||FTE||1||2,000,000||2,000,000||9,003.37||~75% of the yearly salary|
|2||Operational costs||2014 Programme Plan||Categories||10||various||1,200,000||5,402.02||see categories in detail at Wikimédia Magyarország/2014 Programme Plan#Expenses|
|3||Office space||continous rental of our offices||units||2||1,800,000||1,800,000||8,103.03||a "normal" office, and a small, shared backup office for 4699 HUF (~$21)/month at our registered address|
- Total cost of project
- 5,000,000 HUF/22,508.40 USD
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- 5,000,000 HUF/22,508.40 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- 1% tax donations from the last closed fiscal year (expected in late Q3 or early Q4)
- donations (financial and non-financial)
- other external and/or "internal" grant requests (for example WMF Wikimania scholarship)
- support from partner organizations (almost exclusively non financial, what shows as cost saving / underspending / at our end)
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
Resources and Risks
This section is used to highlight your potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- 2014 Programme Plan approved by the General Assembly at 26th April 2014.
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- see above
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- all board members and the employee has at least one full year experience of operating Wikimedia Hungary (the most is 5,5 years, the least is 1,5 years)
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
This section is used to identify key risks or threats that would prevent you from achieving your project goals and how you would mitigate those risks and threats.
- the biggest "threat" is the possibility of getting evicted from our office if the renting company sells the rest of the building. We already had to move once within the same floor last year (them clearly violating our contract) as that part of the building got sold and turned into a hotel. This can somewhat disrupt our operations until we find a new place. However we do have a tiny, shared "backup office" where we are registered to if this happens what we can use as a temporary station, however its limited accessibility (open only when the university is open), very small size and shared nature (altough the other half is used rather as a storage than a working station) makes it unsuitable for long term (this is why we moved out last year). Other "threats" are public holidays (when all stationery shops are closed)
- a tiny, shared backup office at our registered address
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See Project and Event Grants program criteria for decision making.
- This grant would help upkeeping our current level of support we can give/offer to our members and other interested parties in running/executing (Hungarian) Wikipedia-related projects (organizational maturity and effectiveness)
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- Members and volunteers of Wikimedia Hungary and the interested editor community on the Hungarian Wikipedia and its sister projects
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- Organizational development, purely.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- This project can be replicated till eternity, only the numbers might grow with the size of the organization
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- growing representation of the free knowledge movement in Hungary and an ever growing positive impact on the quality of the Hungarian Wikipedia through our programmes
- 2014 Programme Plan - budgeting plans for the year 2014
- Our quaterly reports (English on the bottom) - to follow how we progress with our plan
- WMHU's spendings in 2014 - to follow our finances, how we progress with collecting and spending
- State of the chapter - a summary of our operations since inception (2008) including a summary of ALL the projects/events we've ever completed up to 31.12.2013
- Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 - Quaterly reports of our activities from the last completed fiscal year (where fiscal year = calendar year)
- 2013 Impact report - to have a picture what impact we expect for 2014 (no revolutionary difference, it happened in 2013)