Grants:PEG/WM ID/Content Digitization
This grant is a funding request to continue content digitization effort done by Wikimedia Indonesia, and create a relationship with several library institutions in Indonesia.
In 2013, Wikimedia Indonesia bought a DIY book scanner from Latvia to Jakarta. The machine was fully operated in October 2014.
In 2015, Wikimedia Indonesia already gain enough knowledge and vision on to utilize the machine:
- Wikimedia Indonesia scanned 42 books belong to Aliansi Jurnalis Independen (AJI; Alliance of Independent Journalists), which their physical books have already burned down several years ago. AJI also wants to keep their publications in digital format, which anyone can access and use them. The books that have been scanned are now in Wikimedia Commons under category Digitalisasi koleksi Aliansi Jurnalis Independen.
- Digitalisasi Karya Jawa Cetak, in collaboration with Tamansiswa Dewantara Kirti Griya museum in Yogyakarta, has successfully digitized 100 old Javanese books from the museum collections. The files are now accessible for public and stored in:
- Wikimedia Commons, because the books have already been in public domain, under category Books in the Dewantara Kirti Griya Museum digitized in the Karja Project;
- English Wikipedia, because books that are still suspected of copyright in Indonesia but already in public domain in United States, under category Books in the Dewantara Kirti Griya Museum digitized in the Karja Project.
Paid human resources:
- During the project, Wikimedia Indonesia hired two hearing-impaired full-time staffs to do scanning, editing images, converting to DjVu files, uploading, and creating index pages for each collection. The staff has been trained for three months and now an expert in doing their job. Around 200 pages of books now can be scanned in 1–2 hours. Editing is a long time process, which takes at least 8 hours to edit and crop 200 images and build a djvu file from those images. For future project, the staff can be deployed to other location to do scanning or training people to operate scanning machine.
- Wikimedia Indonesia also paid several proofreaders. By December 2015, as many as ~10,839 pages has been proofread, and IDR 27,506,000 (~USD 2,041) has been disbursed to proofread those pages by using a typing service rate in Indonesia.
Based on the result of digitization Wikimedia Indonesia done in 2015, we have a follow up request from multiple organization:
- Tamansiswa Dewantara Kirti Griya museum, wants to continue this project effort to scan approximately 1,000 more collections, as previous project result scanned 75 books only. This collaboration has a mutual effect for both Wikimedia Indonesia and for the museum.
- The world, via Wikimedia Commons, got valuable collections from the museum; and the museum wanted to keep its collection accessible in a good condition (just in case it is destroyed).
- Wikimedia Indonesia has contacted an active GLAM Wikipedian volunteer from Netherland, Romaine, on December 17, 2015 to collaborate in a possible, mass translation project. The translation will consist of large collection of letters from Ki Hajar Dewantara (from the museum) from Dutch language into English language, where Indonesian volunteer will translate from English to Indonesian or Javanese. Romaine, a Wikipedia contributor from Netherland, gave a positive response to the idea and will contact us again.
- Pusat Dokumentasi dan Informasi Kebudayaan Minangkabau, which has large collection of books, magazines, and photos about Minangkabau culture that published before 1942. A Wikipedian volunteer in Padang informs us that they are interested in digitizing some of their collections. Wikimedia Indonesia has already sent the letter of cooperation and waiting for their feedback.
- Museum dan Perpustakaan Ali Hasjmy in Banda Aceh, which has a large collections of old photos, manuscripts and books about Aceh cultures that were already in public domain. The museum previously stored books written by late Ali Hasyimi, a notable writer, scholar, and ex-local leader in Aceh. Wikimedia Indonesia has sent a letter of cooperation to the museum for possibility to collaborate on scanning their public domain collections and several Ali Hasyimi's notable works for readers who are interested in researching arts and literary books.
- Horison magazine editorial staff, has contacted Wikimedia Indonesia in early February 2016 to discuss collaboration in digitizing several edition of their old collection. Horison is a notable Indonesian literature magazine which established in mid-1966. By now, the magazine is widely read by poet, and other author in Indonesia.
This project includes:
- Scanning books from library institutions in Yogyakarta, Padang, and Aceh, and also old magazines from Horison (a notable literature magazine);
- Talks about Wikipedia and the sister projects of the Wikimedia movement for the museum staff and public.
The project will benefit Wikimedia Commons by increasing contents about Javanese, Bazaar Malay (Melayu rendah), Minangkabau, and Aceh.
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Enriching contents in Wikimedia Commons by collaborating with several library institutions in several places in Indonesia: Yogyakarta, Padang, and Aceh;
- Spreading the information about Wikimedia projects to public institutions, such as libraries and museums;
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
This project is successful if the following criteria are met:
- 12,000 pages of 125 books from Tamansiswa Kirti Griya museum in Yogyakarta are scanned and uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 10,000 pages of 125 books from Museum dan Perpustakaan Ali Hasjmy in Banda Aceh are scanned and uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 10,000 pages of 125 books from Pusat Informasi dan Dokumentasi Kebudayaan Minangkabau in Padang, West Sumatra are scanned and uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 6,500 pages of 100 Horison magazine are scanned and uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
Rachmat04 is an active Wikipedia user since 2012, mainly active in Indonesian Wikipedia and Acehnese Wikipedia. He is also managing digitization project in Wikimedia Indonesia since 2014, overseeing two scanning assistants. Andika Panji and Irfan Nugroho are two scanning assistants that are now advanced in utilizing DIY book scanner.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Staff expenses||Project management||1 person||12 months||4,875,000(367)||58,500,000(4,394)||IDR(USD)||Full-time temporary staff.|
|2||Staff expenses||Scanning assistants||4 persons||12 months||3,791,700(285)||182,001,600(13,669)||IDR(USD)||Full-time temporary staff.|
|3||Staff expenses||Staff insurance||5 persons||1 year||3,000,000(226)||15,000,000(1,127)||IDR(USD)||Annual insurance fees paid for staff.|
|4||Staff expenses||Relocation fees||4 persons||1 month||2,000,000(151)||8,000,000(601)||IDR(USD)|
|5||Travel||Flights and accommodation fees||3 package||3 times||5,000,000(376)||45,000,000(3,380)||IDR(USD)||Flights and accommodation fees to visit Yogyakarta, Padang, and Aceh for three times visiting (opening, mid, and closing phase).|
|6||Project management||Communication fees||4 voucher||12 months||100,000(8)||4,800,000(361)||IDR(USD)||Mobile phone credits payments for each staff during this ongoing project.|
|7||Equipment||Shipping fees||6 package||1 time||2,000,000(151)||12,000,000(902)||IDR(USD)||Amounts to pay book scanner shipping fees by using a regular shipping provider, or additional fee due to overweight by using airplane luggages (just in case).|
|8||Venue||Event hosting||4 package||2 times||3,000,000(226)||24,000,000(1,803)||IDR(USD)||This amount includes food, event venue, and other expenses.|
|9||Equipment||Book scanner purchase||6 package||1 unit||6,500,000(489)||39,000,000(2,929)||IDR(USD)||Book scanner will be given to the librarian after this project is done.|
|10||Administration||Operational costs||1 package||12 months||4,500,000(338)||54,000,000(4,056)||IDR(USD)||Costs for internet, banking, and mail.|
|11||Administration||Accounting services||1 package||12 months||4,333,400(326)||52,000,800(3,906)||IDR(USD)|
- Total cost of project
IDR 494,302,400 (~ USD 37,128)
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
IDR 494,302,400 (~ USD 37,128)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Notification will be done soon in Indonesian Wikipedia and Wikisource, Javanese Wikipedia, Minangkabau Wikipedia, and Acehnese Wikipedia.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.