- Official project name
- WMIN Program Support for April to December 2013
- Project start date
- 1 April 2013 (Retrospective)
- Project completion date
- 31 December 2013
- Please describe this project in 1 - 2 sentences
- Over the projects 9 month timescale, we expect to undertake several small scale events and atleast two larger scale events, in the form of WLM 2013 and CC India launch event.
- During this time we aim to use the services of our Executive Manager to devise a FDC budget and request. This supports our long term goal for an office and full time staff.
- Currency requested
- Amount requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- US$ 24858.92
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in USD
- INR 60.26 per US$ 1
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any full time or part-time staff or contractors?
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- One part-time contractor as Executive Manager. Information on his role is available at wiki.wikimedia.in/Staff
- Primary contact name
- Srikanth Ramakrishnan
- Primary contact username or email
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Project lead name
- Karthik Nadar
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title
Goals and measures of success
The goal of this project is to support and promote Wikimedia movement in India. This would be achieved by organising and supporting various projects related to Wikipedia and its sister projects in India. Apart from this, we would be continuing our pilot outreach effectiveness measurement program. We will continue to followup periodically with the attendees, assess their feedback and attempt to track their involvement in Wikimedia projects after the event.
Measures of success
We will organise or support a minimum of 10 events (wikiacademies, meetups, workshops, editathons) during the 9 month grant period. This would include 2 major events planned. We will extend our support to all relevant outreach events initiated by the community to the fullest possible extent.
Project scope and activities
This project entails 2 major events WLM and CC India Launch in addition to our AGM. Apart from these, we aim to hold several smaller events so as to promote free licensing and free knowledge, two important movement goals.
|1||Staff salary - Executive Manager Pay [1 part time employee]||9 months||42,000 INR ($696.97)||378,000 INR ($6272.81)|
|2||Outreach Events [Workshops and Academies]||10-20||Ranging 1,000-100,000 INR ($16.59-1659.47)||300,000 INR ($4978.42)|
|3||Board meet travel expenses||1||50,000 INR ($829.73)||50,000 INR ($829.73)|
|4||WLM Expenses||1||130,000 INR ($2157.31)||130,000 INR ($2157.31)|
|5||AGM Expenses||1||70,000 INR ($1161.63)||70,000 INR ($1161.63)|
|6||Printing Expenses [Manuals and Promotional Material]||--||200,000 INR ($3318.95)||200,000 INR ($3318.95)|
|7||GLAM [Wikimedian-in Residence and Digitisation projects]||--||300,000 INR ($4978.42)||300,000 INR ($4978.42)|
|9||Auditor/Consultancy Fee||1||60,000 INR ($995.68)||60,000 INR ($995.68)|
|10||General Administration Expenses||1||10,000 INR ($165.94)||10,000 INR ($165.94)|
|Grand Total||~1,498,000 INR (US$ 24858.92)|
Fit to strategy
The Wikimedia India Chapter has emerged as the nodal organisation for the Indian Wikimedia Community for organising outreach and community events. In the last few months, the movement has shown signs of slowing down in India, possibly due to burnout of volunteers. Local communities are essential for the growth and development of Indic wikiprojects. We aim to continue our work to promote the movement and also to rejuvenate the community in India through planned outreach events.
- This project will benefit all the Indic language projects by providing continuous support to local community projects and events.
- This project aims to improve local knowledge of free licensing. We have undertaken to become an affiliate of Creative Commons in India and we feel that there is lack of knowledge with relation to the availability of such licenses. We aim to hold outreach events to educate people on Creative Commons licenses and hope that through that we can get more people to contribute free licensed content to Wikimedia properties.
- After successful Wiki Loves Monuments in 2012, we again aim to receive thousands of images from thousands of participants. We also expect to increase the number of contributors to Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons, and also directly help the online communities.