Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Community Ireland/WLM 2016
- As in previous years our goal is improve the quality and quantity of images of Irish monuments on Commons. We will run a writing contest in conjunction with the photo contest to improve the quality and quantity of articles on Irish monuments on English Wikipedia and Vicipéid.
Background: 2016 is the Centenary year of the 1916 Easter Rising, which was a pivotal date in Irish history. We are taking advantage of interest in this important event to increase participation in WLM. To facilitate this we will be running 2 categories in the WLM photo contest: one for monuments and one for places associated with the Easter Rising. We will also run a writing contest with 3 categories: Irish Monuments, 1916 people and places, and articles on Vicipéid, the Irish language Wikipedia. The photo contests will run during the month of September as usual. The writing contests will run during the month of October. All prizes will be given at the awards ceremony in late November.
- Event Schedule
- Launch event-28 August-We will again be launching WLM at Archaeofest. This was very successful last year, allowing us to reach a large amount of potential participants in a short period of time.
- Upload event-mid September-We will host an upload event in Dublin in the middle fo September to facilitate the uploading of images to Commons for the contest.
- Vicipéid writing event-NUI Galway Early October-We will host an edit-a-thon targeting articles on Vicipéid
- 1916/Monuments writing event-mid-October-We will host an edit-a-thon event in Dublin to create and improve articles
- Awards event-Late November-We will award the prizes for all of the contests at this event
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Increasing Participation
- We will increase participation in Commons uploads
- We will increase the amount of editors of Wikipedia and Vicipeid.
- Increasing Quality
- We will improve the quality of images uploaded to Commons
- We will improve the quality of articles on Irish subjects on Wikipedia and Vicipéid.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- We will measure the success in the photographic contest using the following parameters:
- We will increase participation by 10% from 2015 to 323 participants, with 75% of new users.
- We will increase the number of uploaded images by 20% from 2015 to 2000 images.
- We will hold at least one upload event during the contest period.
- We will increase usage of WLM images to 15%
- We will measure the success of the writing contests using the following parameters:
- We will have at least 25 participants/groups over the 3 contests.
- We will hold at least 2 edit-a-thon events to target editors of Irish content on Wikipedia and on Vicipéid.
- There will be at least 15 new articles created on Irish monuments/1916 people and places.
- There will be at least 10 new articles created on Vicipéid.
- There will be 10 articles on Irish monuments/1916 people and places improved.
- There will be at least 10 articles improved on Vicipéid.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
- We have successful run WLM for the previous two years.
- Team Members
- There is a slight risk with the writing contests as we have never run one before. But we are confident that the team will be able to rise to the challenge.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Office Supplies||Winning Images Posters||1||13||25||325||EUR||Top 10 monument images and top 3 1916 images printed on coreboard for display|
|2||Office Supplies||Flyers||500||1||25||25||EUR||Flyers to be sent to heritage sites and handed out at launch event|
|3||Office Supplies||Postage||100||EUR||To post prizes to winners that cannot attend the awards ceremony and to post flyers to heritage sites|
|4||Office Supplies||Certificates||1||25||.40||10||EUR||Certificates for the winning images|
|5||Awards||Cash Prizes||550||EUR||1st place €200, 2nd place €100, 3rd place €75, 4th-10th places €25 for monument images|
|6||Awards||Bags||1||25||8||200||EUR||Bag with logo for top 10 monument images, top 3 1916 images, and winners of writing contests|
|7||Awards||Calendar||1||25||10||250||EUR||Top 3 monuments images will receive a calendar. The rest we will sell|
|8||Awards||Books||1||12||17||204||EUR||Books for top 3 1916 images and top 3 in the monument, 1916, and Vicipéid writing contests|
|9||Catering||Venue Rental||400||EUR||Launch venue rental|
|10||Catering||Refreshments||300||EUR||Refreshments at awards ceremony|
|12||Media||PR||1500||EUR||As we are expanding the contest this year we would like to increase our PR budget. We are planning on requesting the grant we received last year from the government. This amount added to that grant would allow us to expand the PR to cover the entire contest.|
|13||Miscellaneous||Contingency||100||EUR||To cover unexpected costs.|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- 1000 EUR grant from the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht for PR coverage.
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.