Grants:PEG/ Open Labs/Wikipedia Weekend 2015
The event aims to bring people interested in the Wikipedia community together and show them how to get involved in a project that combines volunteer work with passion about community, technology and knowledge sharing.
- inspirational keynote speakers (from different cities of Albania and abroad);
- more than 15 presentations;
- at least 5 workshops focused on different type of contributions;
- info-booths from projects like Mozilla, Linux, LibreOffice, Arduino and more;
- one big after party.
Detailed agenda of presentations and workshops is presented here: meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Weekend_in_Tirana_2015#Agenda. The agenda will be finalized in 20.11.2015.
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- This project aims to increase the number of editors:
- Improving editor diversity by recruiting new editors from a target group (e.g. women, global south, new expertise/niche)
- Onboarding and educating new editors with a plan for follow-up and mentorship (e.g. workshop and edit-a-thon series)
- Recruiting new contributors whose participation is limited to the event (e.g. contest contributors, "Wiki Loves" competitions)
- Introducing people to editing without explicit follow-up (e.g., some one-off edit-a-thons or workshops)
- Active interest-group collaboration on identifying articles for improvement (e.g. partnerships with cultural and learning institutions, under-represented groups)
- Topic-specific online writing competitions
- Photo events with associated edit-a-thons focused on integrating media on wiki projects
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- Total # of participants expected: 100;
- Number of female participants: 60;
- Number of articles created or improved: 100
- Number of good and featured articles created or improved: 10;
- Number of participants editing 3 months after the event: 20
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
- Belinda Dibra
- Elio Qoshi
- Jona Azizaj
- Kristi Progri
- Silva Arapi
- since the majority of participants involved are students there might be a possibility that some of them will be in their hometowns for weekend;
- we might have less girls involved than expected.
How we plan to minimize these risks:
- in collaboration with the Ministry of Education we will heavily promote the event in high schools and universities;
- in order to involve more girls in the event we are planning to contact local Albanian organizations that promote more rights for women in Albania.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit (ALL)||Total Cost
|Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Travel and transportation costs||Travel and transportation costs||total for all participants from abroad||-||64,043||499||Costs to cover the speakers from abroad; until now 3 from Kosova, 1 from Bulgaria, 1 from Macedonia, 1 from Greece and 1 from Switzerland. The majority are positive, but for some of them we're still waiting for a confirmation due to their work agenda. All the speakers from Albanian will not need accomodation since we are planning to have speakers only from Tirana.|
|2||Acommodation||Acommodation||total||6||59,955||59,955||467||Costs to cover the speakers from abroad; until now 3 from Kosova, 1 from Bulgaria, 1 from Macedonia, 1 from Greece and 1 from Switzerland. The majority are positive, but for some of them we're still waiting for a confirmation due to their work agenda. All the speakers from Albanian will not need accomodation since we are planning to have speakers only from Tirana.|
|3||Dinner||Dinner||participant + organizing team||1||20,439||20,439||159|
|4||Catering||Coffee breaks||participant × break||2||13,626||27,252||212|
|5||Promotional Materials and Gifts||Design, printing and materials, Visual ID||1||92,249||92,249||719||The cost includes:
- design of the materials (including preparation for printing), - roll up banners (2) - stickers (200 items) - lanyards (20 items) - lanyards printing in A6 (20) - shirts (15 items) - goodie bags, clothing material and printing (30 items) - posters, A3 size (50 items) - pins 100 pieces - backdrop printing (for photo shooting and documentation). We have asked a local printing vendor and designer and based on the prices we have an estimation.
|6||Administration items||Administration items||Items||33,384||260|
|7||Unexpected costs||(10% of costs)||35,155||274|
Disclaimerː We already have 400 USD (50,477 ALL) from the OSCAL Allocationː https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:PEG/Open_Labs_and_Youth_Center_Borderless/OSCAL/Report
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
No additional sources of revenue are expected so far.
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
Other than the stickers we will print with the logo of the event, it would be nice to have the following items from Wikimedia Foundationː
|Number||Item description||Number of units|
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
The event will be promoted online through the following channels:
- Meta-Wiki page: meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Weekend_in_Tirana_2015
- local hackerspace page (featured in the homepage): openlabs.cc/wikipedia-weekend-tirana-2015
- Open Labs hackerspace mailing list openlabs.cc/tools/mailing-list and other regional communities like Free Libre Open Source Kosova www.flossk.org;
- Facebook event page: facebook.com/events/1583251521950940
- Wikipedia Albania event discussion pageː https://sq.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Kuvendi#Wikimedians_of_Albanian_Language_User_Group
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- This weekend workshop is critical to make the online-offline connection of existing Albanian wikipedians as well as recruit new contributors. I believe it will help build relations among us making for a stronger community and help us venture into new initiatives including some innovative approaches of importance for the global level. Arianit (talk) 16:59, 1 November 2015 (UTC)
- Support Its a nice initiative to bring together Albanian Wiki community. Events like this motivate Wikimedians to participate and contribute more, especially for us, as a small community, which is the only annual meeting. I believe this will be a big success for Albanian Community, by uniting Wikipedians from 3-4 Balkan countries.--Liridon (talk) 16:52, 4 November 2015 (UTC)