This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- User:Shahadusadik, User:User:Din-nani1
- Dagbani Wikimedians User Group
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
H.1 Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
R. Where will this proposal be implemented?
S. Please indicate whether your work will be focused on one country (local), more than one or several countries in your region (regional) or has a cross-regional (global) scope:
S1. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
T. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
1. What is the overall vision of your organization and how does this proposal contribute to this? How does this proposal connect to past work and learning?
To promote Wikimedia projects in the 16 Mole-Dagbani languages.
2. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important?
- On July 7 2021, The Dagbani Wikipedia was approved by the Wikimedia language committee, and as a language user group, we want to focus on improving the Dagbani Wikipedia user interface, increase Dagbani lexicographical data on Wikidata, improve on the quantity/quality of Dagbani articles, support other sister Mole-Dagbani languages like the Gurene Wikipedia incubator and to provide general support for the Dagbani Wikimedians user group community. We do these through the following initiatives:
- 1. Arts and Feminism 2022 Campaigns
- Getting more female contributors for the Dagbani Wikipedia is quite challenging. There is currently a big gender gap on the Dagbani Wikipedia and we want to fix this through our 2022 Art+Feminism campaigns.
- 2. Wikidata Lexicographical Data (Abstract Wikipedia and Wikifunctions)
- As one of the 5 Seed languages for the rollout of Abstract Wikipedia in 2024, We want to improve the lexicographic extension of Wikidata for Dagbani by creating at least 600+ Wikidata Lexemes in Dagbani.
In addition to creating Lexemes to support the Abstract Wikipedia and Wikifunctions project, the Dagbani Wikimedia community is also required to add language labels and descriptions to Wikidata properties. Currently, only 0.01% of Wikidata properties are described in Dagbani. We want to shift the needle to a significant percentage by describing at least 200+ Wikidata labels in Dagbani.
- 3. Parliament of Ghana Data (8th Parliament of the 4th Republic)
- Every 4 years, the electoral commission of Ghana organizes general elections to elect a new president and lawmakers for the parliament of Ghana, which means some parliamentarians will be replaced. Currently, the Dagbani Wikipedia do not have enough articles on Ghanaian politicians as the Wikimedia community continue to update our political data on other sister projects such as the English Wikipedia and Wikidata. We at the Dagbani Wikimedians user group want will continue to create, translate and improve dozens of these articles on the Dagbani Wikipedia through our parliament of Ghana contest series.
3. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
The 3 main strategies we will adopt and the activities we will develop to achieve our 2022 objectives (January to June 2022) includes:
- 1. Arts and Feminism 2022 Campaigns
- One of the strategies we have adopted to reduce the gender gap on the Dagbani Wikipedia is to organize Art+Feminism campaigns to create and improve at least 200+ Dagbani Wikipedia articles/Wikidata items of notable Ghanaian women in STEM, academia, Sports and entertainment.The campaign will help us collect several online/offline resources to improve the quality of contents on the Dagbani Wikipedia and Wikidata.
- 2. Wikidata Lexicographical Data (Abstract Wikipedia and Wikifunctions)
- As one of the selected focus languages for the abstract Wikipedia project, the community will embark on a two (2) months Wikidata challenge to increase the lexicographical data for the Dagbani Wikipedia by creating at least 600 Wikidata Lexemes in Dagbani. In addition to that, the community will organize a month Wikidata hack-a-thon to describe at least 200+ Wikidata properties in Dagbani.
- 3. Parliament of Ghana Data (8th parliament of the 4th republic)
- We will be organizing a 'parliament of Ghana Wiki contest' to create/improve the biographies of all 275 parliamentarians for 8th parliament of the 4th republic.The month-long edit-a-thon contest will allow participants to create/improve Dagbani Wikipedia articles and Wikidata items for all 275 members of current parliament in Ghana.
4. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
Our main objective is to promote Wikimedia projects related to the 16 Mole-Dagbani languages in Benin, Burkina Faso and Ghana, develop a structured data for these languages by leveraging the power of Wikidata to increase the visibility of the 16 Mole-Dagbani languages on Wikimedia, and to provide general support for individuals and organizations interested in contributing to the Dagbani Wikipedia and other sister Mole-Dagbani language Wikipedia projects.
5. Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
5.1 If yes, provide a brief overview of Year 2 and Year 3 of the proposed plan and how this relates to the current proposal and your strategic plan?
6. Please include a timeline (operational calendar) for your proposal.
7. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Sadik Shahadu User:Shahadusadik - Project Manager/Executive Director Yussif Abdul-Rasheed User:Din-nani1 - Grant Manager/Finance Khadija Iddrisu User:Dhee jah IT Manager Alhassan Mohammed Awal User:Alhassan Mohammed Awal - Communications and Outreach Fuseini Musah User:Musahfm - Trainer Fuseini Mohammed Kamal-Deen User:Dnshitobu - Trainer Khadijah Abubakari User:Khadijah Abubakari - Events Coordinator Zakaria Raha User:Zak Raha - Logistics Manager Administrative Executive - Vacant
8. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Geography, Language, Sexual Orientation, Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
8.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
9. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy, Open Technology, Diversity
10. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Please note, we had previously asked about inclusion and diversity in terms of CONTENTS, in this question we are asking about the diversity of PARTICIPANTS. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Disabilities, Linguistic / Language, Digital Access
11. What are your strategies for engaging participants, particularly those that currently are non-Wikimedia?
Our targeted participants are Dagbani and Gurene language students and teachers in the Universities, teacher training colleges and senior high schools in Ghana. Over 60% of our current community is made up of students and teachers from senior high schools and teacher training colleges in northern Ghana. Other contributors and volunteers include Dagbani language translators and researchers from northern Ghana. To be able to continuously support our communities, we will provide proper internet access and/or data allowance to our most active contributors to enable them to contribute more to the Dagbani Wikipedia.
We will continue to organize bi-weekly online/offline workshops to train new editors and improve the skills of the existing ones.
Each week, our community will continue to improve the quality of at least one Dagbani Wikipedia as part of our ‘article of the week’ program, where community members join hands to collectively add content/improve the quality of an article through the week.
12. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants and promoting the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy, and/or equivalent local policies and processes?
As a Wikimedia User Group, we have created a friendly space policy for our community. Please find the link here https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Dagbani_Wikimedians_User_Group/Memberships.
We also hope to translate the UcoC into Dagbani so that our members can read and better understand the Wikimedia friendly policy and the universal code of conduct in Dagbani. Again, we have created a simple reporting process for the community to report any form of misconduct, violation, abuse or bridge of community policy. During our online and offline events, we always share our friendly space policy and community participation guidelines.
13. Do you have plans to work with Wikimedia communities, groups, or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
13.1 If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- 2. https://chat.whatsapp.com/LfnDYa4dMttHbPI0um2XJl
- 3. https://web.facebook.com/dagbaniwikimedians/?_rdc=1&_rdr
- 4. https://twitter.com/dagbaniwiki
- 5. https://t.me/joinchat/UGNsR5DjJI-hCL0Z
- 6. https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/african-wikimedians
- 7. mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
14. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
14.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
We will continue to work with students and educators at the University of education (school of languages department), Bagabaga college of education, Dalun Community Library, and the UDS Tamale campus. We will partner with media institutions in northern Ghana to promote our projects and campaigns. We will continue to use facilities of these institutions to host our offline events.
15. How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
We will continue to organize bi-weekly meetups to share our learning experiences with the community and also gather feedback from participants. We will evaluate the overall impact of our initiatives by engaging our partners and volunteers to learn more about where we can improve.
16. What kind of risks do you anticipate and how would you mitigate these. This can include factors such as external/contextual issues that may affect implementation, as well as internal issues, such as governance/leadership changes.
17. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
Improve User Experience, Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
18. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
- Upload Strategic Plan
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
19. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
1. What strategies can we use to retain our volunteers and editors of the Dagbani WIkipedia?
- 2. What wikimedia projects are community members more interested in? Why are they more interested in that project?
- 3. Our communities cut across multiple countries, how do we support the other groups outside Ghana?
- 4. Which organizations are interested in working with our community?
- 5. What Wikimedia tools are most useful to the Dagbani Wikipedia?
- 6. How can we improve the quality of contents in the Dagbani Wikipedia?
20. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following space provided.
|Total number of projects embarked on||We will implement at least 8 major projects within the year.||8|
Here are some additional metrics that you can use if they are relevant to your work. Please note that this is just an optional list, mostly of quantitative metrics. They may complement the qualitative metrics you have defined in the previous boxes.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities||We will retain at least 30 active contributors from all our communities.||30|
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities||We will retain at least 10 organizers of our community. this include facilitators and project lisons.||10|
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer term growth, diversity and sustainability||We will partner with at least 4 new organizations and institutions to support our initiatives in Ghana. This will include Schools and GLAM institutions.||4|
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors||We will conduct at least 4 quarterly surveys to collect feedback from our participants and volunteers.||4|
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees||We will make sure we include 3 underrepresented or minority groups such as females, people with disabilities and people from marginalized communities.||3|
|Number of people reached through social media publications||Our campaigns will reach at least 1500 people from all our social media handles.||1500|
|Number of activities developed||We will develop at least 3 new activities or initiatives within the course of the year.||3|
|Number of volunteer hours||Our total number of volunteer hours will be 60 hours.||60|
21. Additional core quantitative metrics. These core metrics will not tell the whole story about your work, but they are important for measuring some Movement-wide changes. Please try to include these core metrics if they are relevant to your work. If they are not, please use the space provided to explain why they are not relevant or why you can not capture this data. Your explanation will help us review our core metrics and make sure we are using the best ones for the movement as a whole.
|Number of participants||At least 140 participants Dagbani Wikimedia and Gurene Wikimedia community (including team members and partners) will take part in all our projects and activities throughout the year.||140|
|Number of editors||We expect at least 20 new editors are expected to our Wikidata lexicographical data and Art+Feminism programs.
We expect at lease 40 returning editors from all our communities to participate in all our projects (including the gurene Wikimedia community). We will engage at least 3 partners from Ghana.
|Number of organizers||The following number of organizers to support our projects: Dagbani Wikipedia, Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons, Wikivage
Facilitators = 6 Project Manager = 1 Advisors = 4 Core team members = 8
|Wikipedia||We will create 200 new Dagbani Wikipedia articles and improve at least 100 existing articles||300|
|Wikimedia Commons||We will upload more than 100 photos to Wikimedia Commons||100|
|Wikidata||We create and improve more than 200 wikidata items, describe at least 200 Wikidata properties in Dagbani and create/improve at least 600 Wikidata Lexemes through our Parliament of Ghana edit-a-thon contest and the abstract Wikipedia project. .||900|
|Wikivoyage||We will create about 10 Wikivoyage pages. We will contribute photos resulting from this project to Wikimedia Commons.||10|
|Incubator||We will incubate an new language Wikipedia and create at least 100 new articles for the Gurene Wikipedia incubator.||100|
21.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
22. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
We will continue to use the Wikimedia outreach dashboard to track the number of edits, words, bytes and photos added by participants of our Wikimedia contests. . We Will use the Quarry tool to determine the contribution of participants on Wikimedia projects. We will use data from the participants registration form to determine the number of returning participants and their contribution.
23. & 23.1 What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 235478 GHS
23.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 38594.5 USD
23.3 Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- Budget uploaded.
23.4 Please include any additional observations or comments you would like to include about your budget.
Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.