This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Sylvesterchukwu04 and favourdare123
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
Nigeria, Ghana, Rwanda,
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
The change we are trying to bring is bridging the content gap between African cuisines and Wikimedia, importantly because as Africans, the need to preserve the African culture and African foods as one of the African cultural heritage, there are many African cuisines and recipes that are not on Wikipedia and Wikibooks (cookbook) and creating Articles on African foods is a way to bring the change, as we have little or No Articles on African foods both on Cookbook and Wikipedia, African.
It's also important because though this contest we can bridge the gap and bring to recognition about most African foods that Africans do not know how they are prepared or even know about them they are most food that people hear about and they don't know how they are prepared.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Training editors on Wikibook, as wikibooks is our main focus, creating new articles on African foods and also improving existing articles.
- 2. Another approach we will use to achieving this goal is by organising in person physical meetup, where we can teach them on how to edit Wikipedia, wikibooks wikivoyage and wiki Commons. Because we will be using these sister projects as instruments of bridging content gap.
So our goal is to organise four (4) virtual meet ups to train editors on how to edit these mentioned wiki sister projects.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
1. Organising edit-a-thons and contest in which trained editors will be assigned articles to create and improve articles on African cuisine on wikipedia and wikibooks, wikivoyage and wiki commons, and will be awarded prizes.
- 2. We will also be creating a WhatsApp platform for the editors, providing them with the necessary information, mentoring and data packages during the edit-a-thons and contest. Also, guiding them on the rules and pillars of editing on Wikibooks and its sister projects.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
All team members are volunteers. Kingaustin07, Favourdare123 and Sylvesterchukwu04 are experienced Wikimedians. Below is a brief introduction about them.
Kingaustin07 is an experienced Wikimedian editor, he has participated in different projects and has won different prizes. He also participated during Nigerian Cuisine contest.
Favourdare123 is an experienced editor, with over eleven thousand edits on Global contribution. He has facilitated different Wikimedian projects and has also won different prizes. He was one of the participants at the Nigerian Cuisine contest.
Sylvesterchukwu04 is an experienced editor, with over three thousand edits on Global contribution, he was one of the top 3 winners at the Nigerian Cuisine edit a thon contest. He is also a reviewer on Wiki books having created over 90 Cook book articles on Wiki book which is the main area where we want to bridge the content gap.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Geography, Other global topics for impact (topics considered to be of global importance)
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
The goal is addressing the knowledge inequity of African cuisine on Wiki books and also on Wikipedia, most African recipes lack knowledge representation on this wikis and through this project this knowledge inequity can be cover, it is also observed that most places In Africa do not have eat sections on Wiki voyage which is also a way of knowledge gap about African cuisines. Most explorers can through these eat sections know about cuisines in these places and countries.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Culture, heritage or GLAM
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Our target participants are existing and new editors in the movement from various countries and communities. We will communicate with our participants through mail, our social media channels and other designated platforms for faster and easier communication more accessible to our participants. We will have a post evaluation after the global edit a thon contest, and keep the designated medium of communication active on telegram and our social media platforms event after the contest to keep the engaged in the community.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We will adhere strictly to the Wikimedia friendly space policy and UCOC all through the project activities and also enlighten all participants about it.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have informed the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria through their discussion page. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_User_Group_Nigeria#African_Cuisine
I have also notified the Wikimedia User Group Rwanda and Wikimedia User Group Ghana community members through their user group discussion page.
Below are the on-wiki community discussion links: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Community_User_Group_Rwanda#African_Cuisine https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Planning_Wikimedia_Ghana#African_Cuisine
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Improve User Experience, Ensure Equity in Decision-making, Manage Internal Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
We hope to learn how the project has impacted the Wikimedia movement.
We also hope to learn how the project has been a tool to create knowledge about Wikipedia, wiki books and wiki voyage to editors new to these wiki sister projects and how they can actively contribute.
We also hope to understand more about the project that can equip and help to building the knowledge platform.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics
|Number of participating countries
|Total number of participating communities
|Number of quality improved articles
|Number of articles to be created or improved
|Number of participants
|Total number of participants from participating countries
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants
|New participants: 15
Returning participants: 45
|Number of editors
|Editors from participating countries, New and returning
|Number of organizers
|These include 1 Project lead and 2 team members
|This include number of cuisine articles to be created and improved
|Number of Eat sections to be added to already existing articles on places in Africa.
|This consist of number of articles to be created and improved on cookbook
|Number of pictures of African food recipes on to be uploaded
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Xtool Outreach dashboard
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).